Your Choice Between Premium Hatchbacks and Budget Sedans?

Your Pick?

• Total voters
Manza is praised for its rear seat comfort comparable to' s class' by its owners and experts.
Agree with all your points except this one. I am very much sure that those owners & experts who make such comparo between manza & s class have never sat in S Class in first class. Ofocurse, Manza can put several cars in 15L segment to shame with rear legroom, but S Class ?? Are these people kiddin' ? [lol]

Why are some people still stressing on the fact that sedans have a boot and that is an advantage?
Why ? If you can stress on bluetooth & ACC, why can't rest on boot & rear legroom ? Everyone has own priorities.

Essentially, the thread itself is flawed as no proper sedan will come in 7L rs.
Even I will pick Jazz over etios or verito.

Look at SUV Vs Sedan thread....budget was not there so honest, & more technical & usability of vehicle was discussed.
What if we said SUV or Sedan, 8-9L budget ? People would buy Honda City over scorpio lower end or bolero or sumo gold etc.

Lemme tell you. If 7L, it will be Jazz; budget no bar then hell with hatches.

In the first post, I have clearly mentioned that, lets assume a person who does not necessarily require a big boot has a 7 Lac budget.
You yourself have answered the Q. Why start thread ? If no boot, why sedan ?

That is the reason we are directly comparing premium hatches with budget sedans. Lets compare things like power, comfort, space, ride, handling, features, safety, value for money, etc.
You have long list of hatches to show how good it is.
Eg. Take blue & me from Punto, boot of Jazz, handling of swift, power of 1.6 polo.....combine it & pit it against verito & etios.

Please repeat after me guys -

No boot required
No boot required
No boot required
Obviously it will be then
Hatch
Hatch
Hatch

The title should be -

5L hatch or 8L sedan to get fair comparo.

Look at merc, audi, bmw why haven't they bought their hatches to Indian market? It's preciesely becuase of this herd mentality that India has! Look at the fate of Fiat 500, Bravo & VW Beetle- I agree that being full CBUs their prices have simply sky rocketed, but I doubt people would still buy a hatch like that for 12-13lakhs....
Price Punto for 8L. How many would buy ? And out of all Puntos, how many sold are top end models ? Fact is why would one spend 18L on hatch if he gets Sonata or Accord in it ? Nothing special in premium hatch except for the badge.

And please explain to me why does airbags matter when one is going to drive hatches in city with speed not more than 50 kmph ?

Which car do you buy if you had eight lakhs? Hmmm... In India ,all car purchases are determined by a number of factors other than BUDGET ,like family members opinion, personal car or family car, family requirements, brand image, car looks, seating comfort, boot requirement, road conditions, city or highway driving, macho image, young image, executive image, whether it's the only car or 2nd car in the family , snob value and many more.

People buy based on their personal needs and requirements and not always just on what they like. And there is no need to find fault on anyones preferences.

i bought an entry level sedan(accent) long ago and it did solve my purpose very well for a long while. I bought an entry level hatch(santro) which did solve many other requirements of mine. I didn't buy a high end hatch because, I didn't want to block my money when my eyes were set on a high end sedan.So on and so forth, everyone has their reason.

I didn't vote because I don't have a need for either right now.....[:)]

Thread Starter #108
Why ? If you can stress on bluetooth & ACC, why can't rest on boot & rear legroom ? Everyone has own priorities.

Essentially, the thread itself is flawed as no proper sedan will come in 7L rs.
Even I will pick Jazz over etios or verito.

Look at SUV Vs Sedan thread....budget was not there so honest, & more technical & usability of vehicle was discussed.
What if we said SUV or Sedan, 8-9L budget ? People would buy Honda City over scorpio lower end or bolero or sumo gold etc.

Lemme tell you. If 7L, it will be Jazz; budget no bar then hell with hatches.
Please go through my post #101.

You yourself have answered the Q. Why start thread ? If no boot, why sedan ?
Dude, that is the topic of this thread. Cant help it.

Sorry if you feel its flawed. Kindly ignore it. Other's who actually understood the content are posting quite sensible replies.

The title should be -

5L hatch or 8L sedan to get fair comparo.
Please feel free to open a new thread. This thread is not regarding that.
Price Punto for 8L. How many would buy ? And out of all Puntos, how many sold are top end models ?
I bought one for almost 8 Lacs dude!

Most of the Puntos on Mumbai roads are Emotion or Emotion pack variant which sells for 7.5 Lacs on road. Most of the i20s are top end diesel Asta which costs 8 Lacs on road.

Fact is why would one spend 18L on hatch if he gets Sonata or Accord in it ? Nothing special in premium hatch except for the badge.
If I get a hot hatch like Bravo for less than 15 Lacs, I would buy it.

And please explain to me why does airbags matter when one is going to drive hatches in city with speed not more than 50 kmph ?
This statement should not come from an Automotive enthusiast. I expect such statements from an ignorant salesman who is keen on selling low end variants.

Airbags has nothing to do with city or highway driving. Even an impact at 50 kmph in city can take a life (does take a life) & an airbag is necessary.

IPL has not yet started, but TAI, it has already started. And it is very hot. Mumbai Indians have thrown a hot vadapaav in the ring, while Pune warriors are throwing some spicy samosas, and from the north, we have some hot katoris thrown in, kochi tuskers are trying to throw something despite not being in the competition, chennai superkings are also in it. Now it's time for the Royal challengers ,Bangalore to treat everyone and have a party.[cheers] *

Guys, After the party, IPL in TAI (this thread) shall be cool and we shall all talk some car sense in some other thread. Deal?[thumbsup]

IPL has not yet started, but TAI, it has already started. And it is very hot. Mumbai Indians have thrown a hot vadapaav in the ring, while Pune warriors are throwing some spicy samosas, and from the north, we have some hot katoris thrown in, kochi tuskers are trying to throw something despite not being in the competition, chennai superkings are also in it. Now it's time for the Royal challengers ,Bangalore to treat everyone and have a party.

Guys, After the party, IPL in TAI (this thread) shall be cool and we shall all talk some car sense in some other thread. Deal?
:agree: Lets have a grand party, would help reducing the heat on this hot thread [cheers]

Last edited by a moderator:
IPL has not yet started, but TAI, it has already started. And it is very hot. Mumbai Indians have thrown a hot vadapaav in the ring, while Pune warriors are throwing some spicy samosas, and from the north, we have some hot katoris thrown in, kochi tuskers are trying to throw something despite not being in the competition, chennai superkings are also in it. Now it's time for the Royal challengers ,Bangalore to treat everyone and have a party.[cheers] *

Guys, After the party, IPL in TAI (this thread) shall be cool and we shall all talk some car sense in some other thread. Deal?[thumbsup]
lol love the context Markiv. really brought some humor to this intense debate. [clap]

@
one doesn't want to go for etios.he can go for linea, if separate boot is a must have thing for him.
For me separate boot is a must have thing, as I carry fish boxes /fruit in it while coming back from sea shore trip to home, Also I carry used or to be used surgery instrument boxes in a separate boot, with which other passengers/family members are uncomfortable if placed in the boot of hatch back.

Many times semi wet clothes are hurried ly put in the boot, while coming back from a picnic , smell can be uncomfortable in a hatch.
Still tight budget/parking slot can compel someone to go for a hatch ,
separate/segregated boot can be a must have requirement for some people.

Agree with all your points except this one. I am very much sure that those owners & experts who make such comparo between manza & s class have never sat in S Class in first class. Ofocurse, Manza can put several cars in 15L segment to shame with rear legroom, but S Class ?? Are these people kiddin' ? [lol]
Comparo between s class rear comfort and manza rear comfort is limited to the angle between rear seat with its backrest, rest of the things are not exactly comparable., I agree.

Why are some people still stressing on the fact that sedans have a boot and that is an advantage?

In the first post, I have clearly mentioned that, lets assume a person who does not necessarily require a big boot has a 7 Lac budget.

That is the reason we are directly comparing premium hatches with budget sedans. Lets compare things like power, comfort, space, ride, handling, features, safety, value for money, etc.

Please repeat after me guys -

No boot required
No boot required
No boot required
Ok, if boot is not required, then why these premium hatch manufacturers are wasting the approx 1 to 2 feet length of the hatch, labelling it as a boot.? Ideally they should have utilised the bootspace of the premium hatch for large legroom, knee room, (for elderly, plastered lower limb ,also eqipped with a lunch tray,... ) with foldable/sliding rear seats for the comfort of back benchers.

Last edited:
LET ME TRY TO CLARIFY ALL THE QUERIES ONE BY ONE AS PER MY PRIORITIES:
First of all,let's make a list of:-
Premium hatches:Maruti Suzuki Ritz,Swift.
VW Polo,Skoda Fabia.
Renault Pulse,Nissan Micra.
Tata Indica Vista,Fiat Punto.
Ford Figo,Toyota Liva,Honda Jazz.
Hyundai i-20.

Budget sedans:[

Is it appropriate to label fabia, punto (2011& prior ) as premium hatchbacks ?
.Because of their low ground clearance, owner is always worried about the underbody scrapping the bumps , once scrapped, always worried about what damage could have occured ?, till he finds out the thing with ASS.
The low GC and anxiety must be stealing the highspeed handling characteristics,compelling the owner to drive it slowly as compared to good GC cars.

Also , ecs indigo, new cs dezire can't be called as sedan and premium hatches IMHO, correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
.Because of their low ground clearance, owner is always worried about the underbody scrapping the bumps , once scrapped, always worried about what damage could have occured ?, till he finds out the thing with ASS.
The low GC and anxiety must be stealing the highspeed handling characteristics,compelling the owner to drive it slowly as compared to good GC cars.

Also , ecs indigo, new cs dezire can't be called as sedan and premium hatches IMHO, correct me if I am wrong.
Punto and Fabia cannot be termed as Premium Hatchbacks just because of their low GC. [lol] [lol].

Now then what is your definition of Premium Hatchbacks ??

Thread Starter #115
Ok, if boot is not required, then why these premium hatch manufacturers are wasting the approx 1 to 2 feet length of the hatch, labelling it as a boot.?
Dude, please understand what we mean when we say a "boot". We mean a boot of a proper 3 box sedan.

How can you design a car with zero luggage space?

Ideally they should have utilised the bootspace of the premium hatch for large legroom, knee room, (for elderly, plastered lower limb ,also eqipped with a lunch tray,... ) with foldable/sliding rear seats for the comfort of back benchers.
When someone says, we dont require a boot - it essentially means, we dont require a big boot. But space for 2 soft bags is more than enough.

What kind of a logic is this?

Ferraris, Lambos, Maseratis have low ground clearance.

SX4 is a premium car when compared to Jaguar XJL
Hyundai EON is a premium car when compared to Punto

Weird.

I dont know about other cars, but in Punto, I am not worried about the underbody scraping the ground. Yes, it does have low GC but I have seen the underbody of the Punto closely & I have seen how well protected it is. I am used to driving SUVs & so I have scraped my Punto many times. Sometimes pretty harshly. Nothing has happened yet because of the strong underbody protection. Now that's "premium". I have not seen such heavy duty protection plates in any other hatchback, not even in i20.

I do pretty high speeds on the highways. Puntos are meant for that.

Please note, highways are pretty clean & we do not need to worry about GC. Its only on bad surfaced roads where we need to worry & on such roads, we anyways wont drive fast.

True. These are compact sedans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know about other cars, but in Punto, I am not worried about the underbody scraping the ground. Yes, it does have low GC but I have seen the underbody of the Punto closely & I have seen how well protected it is. I am used to driving SUVs & so I have scraped my Punto many times. Sometimes pretty harshly. Nothing has happened yet because of the strong underbody protection. Now that's "premium". I have not seen such heavy duty protection plates in any other hatchback, not even in i20.
Yes in my Punto I dint have many problems with underbody scraping as I drive very carefully on uneven and bad roads and big speed breakers. There were few times when I did scratched the underbody, But as Raj said, I am also least concerned about the same. Punto underbody is covered with thick metal cover which protects the engine and stuffs from below.
Just because few of us says that Punto is having GC problem, others start running around shouting the same thing. And when people not complaining about GC issues in Ferraris, Lambos, Maseratis, etc. means the GC issues does not exists on those cars. And now that FIAT have increased the GC of new models, same bunch of people starts cribbing for the looks of the car. [anger]. Actually this normal human tendency that we complain about what we dont have and when we get it, we realise what we had earlier was perfect as per our need. [:D]

What's better for India, Hatchback or Sedan?

Greetings!!!

To The User's of TAI,

This is for an official survey by one of the top rated Automobile manufacturing companies in India.

We are on the verge to launch a mid segment giant killer for Indian Market.

Do share your views with defending your opinion.

Your suggestions are valuable for us.

Re: What's better for India, Hatchback or Sedan?

Greetings!!!

To The User's of TAI,
This is for an official survey by one of the top rated Automobile manufacturing companies in India.
Hi, can you please tell us which company do you represent? It's very interesting to see a giant killer.

Today morning I saw a car, camouflaged with spots. As I was on service lane & that car was on highway, couldn't see it closely, but it looked very similar to Chevy Sail.

Re: What's better for India, Hatchback or Sedan?

Greetings!!!

To The User's of TAI,

Welcome aboard buddy,but it looks like you posted your first post in wrong section.
@Mods:Please do the needful.

Let's see your giant killer because we have seen a lot of giant killers being killed by giants in the Indian automobile market.

Top Bottom