Your Choice Between Premium Hatchbacks and Budget Sedans?

Your Pick?

• Total voters
Not for a debate but just for a right perception.

Manza is not just a boot attached to Vista.
Manza is overall a different car which can rival many higher priced cars in many fields.(truly breed apart as the saying goes)

But it is difficult to make people understand who doesn't understand what is the difference between suzuki alto and sx4 ..
"Sab maruti he to hai??" that is the general response I observe.

But look-wise and utility wise Vista is also very good car.

That is the reason we are directly comparing premium hatches with budget sedans. Lets compare things like power, comfort, space, ride, handling, features, safety, value for money, etc.

Please repeat after me guys -
No boot required
No boot required
No boot required
Wouldn't mind a sedan without boot too.with good looks.else
No boot required
No boot required

Again +100,no doubt you are 100% right buddy and hence I say "Its not that for no reason Jazz is my hot favorite"the flexibility and the balance of all and everything Jazz provides can put most of the cars to shame(sedans too).But,only one car can't force me to accept that hatches are better overall.Bust yes,if it would have been a Jazz Vs other cars thread then definitely not only under 8 lacs but even under 10 lacs I'd have gone for a Jazz any day(mentioned zillions of times in many threads before too)
TSI,
Your reply has brought a wide smile on my face. SO wide & audible that the person next to me in office was asking what is it that made me so happy!!![;)]

Anyway, guys, the point is that sedans are simply accepted as a more premium car than hatches. This is TRUE but for the AAM AADMI. Even in my case a colleague at office said, why hatchback after Logan? I didn't bother to waste my energy on this issue.

Look at merc, audi, bmw why haven't they bought their hatches to Indian market? It's preciesely becuase of this herd mentality that India has! Look at the fate of Fiat 500, Bravo & VW Beetle- I agree that being full CBUs their prices have simply sky rocketed, but I doubt people would still buy a hatch like that for 12-13lakhs....

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, guys, the point is that sedans are simply accepted as a more premium car than hatches.
Acceptance.Exactly !

They just cannot accept new generation and new generation changes just because there thoughts and beliefs are of iron age.

Look at merc, audi, bmw why haven't they bought their hatches to Indian market? It's preciesely becuase of this herd mentality that India has! Look at the fate of Fiat 500, Bravo & VW Beetle- I agree that being full CBUs their prices have simply sky rocketed, but I doubt people would still buy a hatch like that for 12-13lakhs....
Ever wondered what kind of people invest in such cars in India. Even highest paid person Mr.President cannot afford such cars with meager income of India.

Lot of money is something and sensibility is different thing.

no offense to owners.

when i am travelling on highways i can use a sedan and for city purpose Hatch is the best option.
This thread allows eighther a premium hatch or a sedan . But for affording buyers your view is valid.

AFA sedan vs SUV(off topic) , threadstarted by fellow TAIan s class is going on elsewhere.

Okay guys, I am kind of a living example of this Thread!

It's the full utilisation of a premium hatchback which will make the buyer to think of a budget sedan. Once the requirements of rear space, comfort starts overlapping (premium hatch vs sedan in the given budget) he will land up in dilemma (comfy features vs space) here this thread should help him.
Just imagine ,4 of your relatives , request you to drop them at airport with full size air allowed suitcases ,you won't be able to do so, But you have option of hiring a taxi (verito, logan, manza...) But if similar frequent air port trips are anticipated every now and then, you will immediately start thinking of budget sedan ( only budget sedan is allowed here on this thread, richer people need not face this dilemma) inspite of
jazz being an excellent feature packed hatch.
But Manza is just a boot attached to Vista.

And if there would be any elderly parents in my family .[/B]
If we call vista as a premium hatch, manza will be called as a premium sedan, this will defy the title of the thread.

Thank you very much for the caring comment on the parents comfort. But a buyer on this thread is worried about parents comfort as well as budget, let's give him an amikable solution.

Why are some people still stressing on the fact that sedans have a boot and that is an advantage?

That is the reason we are directly comparing premium hatches with budget sedans. Lets compare things like power, comfort, space, ride, handling, features, safety, value for money, etc.
Why don't you understand buddy that if you compare the premium hatches with budget sedans only then this thread won't have anything left to comment.It will simply become a one-sided game.
Take it this way:
If you compare a Polo 1.6 with an Etios then the Etios will fell short on score to fight against a Polo.But if you do same by keeping a Honda City 'E' or a Rapid MPI then the game changes,now it looks like a comparable pair.

Please repeat after me guys -

No boot required
No boot required
No boot required
Definitely the boot is never a decision maker but I don't agree with the fact that boot is not an advantage.If you have it,then definitely its an advantage.Take it this way:If I have to go for a long trip with 4 people..

IF NO BOOT REQUIRED THEN "WHO IS A SEDAN"?REMOVE THE BOOT AND SEDANS GO OUT OF SIGHT..agree?

But it is difficult to make people understand who doesn't understand what is the difference between suzuki alto and sx4 ..
"Sab maruti he to hai??" that is the general response I observe.
I have heard this many times in my life.Only fact is that these words are always said by the Alto owner,not the SX-4 one,why?Because as per the Alto guy "it has 4 wheels,an engine and 4 seats.So what do we need"?But what about all the added advantages the SX4 has.That is the reason the Alto owner says these words not the SX4 one.And in case the Alto owner can afford an SX4 then he will definitely like the SX4 more than Alto.

Wouldn't mind a sedan without boot too.with good looks.else
No boot required
No boot required
Again same question..NO BOOT-NO SEDAN..now what will you compare to what?

TSI,
Your reply has brought a wide smile on my face. SO wide & audible that the person next to me in office was asking what is it that made me so happy!!!
Why so?Have I said anything wrong?

Anyway, guys, the point is that sedans are simply accepted as a more premium car than hatches. This is TRUE but for the AAM AADMI. Even in my case a colleague at office said, why hatchback after Logan? I didn't bother to waste my energy on this issue.

+100,no doubt.Thanks to the herd mentality.I have seen people saying "Why buy a hatch for 7 lacs STANDARD KI GAADI kharidenge"...

Well,buddy it looks like you are in love with i-20,why?Because every post of your have at least one i-20.
Coming back to topic:-
About electrically retractable mirrors:Definitely they are really important while driving in city,but still they are not that important thet for them I'd make compromise on my driving comfort,and many more essential features.Simple it is "I CAN LIVE WITH LESSER FEATURES,BUT NOT WITH LESSER HORSES"

Really glad to hear this buddy,at least there is someone for whom safety comes first,like with me. Each of the points mentioned by you are enough to justify the need of hatchback or a sedan in every case.
+1000

This is what i have been shouting for a long time.Why people have made an image of sedans as just a boot attached to a hatch.They are really too much more than what most of us think they are.And this is not with Vista and Manza only but it is with most of the cars.
I have taken I 20 , just for illustration purpose. I adore jazz equally especially after price cut, but not added it in the illustration examples, because it comes with only petrol engine however with most of the time city running, less than 1 k km/month,4 passenger s with less luggage , both i20 petrol and jazz are good options.

It is the 'overlap of the requirements' leads me to think in favour of sedan thus dilemma. So I need to be flexible(ready to sacrifice few) about the feature s, horses.

This thread generated as a result of money spinning attitude of the car manufacturers and tax rules , policy of the land. Ideally safety features (abs ,air bags) should have been provided in mid varient s in lieu of not so important features (music, powerwindows, armrest s power steering...) And topend varient should be packed with both as of now.
But the manufacturers are compell ing not so important features with it's cost on the custemer who is wiling for only safety features.
Also a lower end version is not upgradeable(manufacturers not allowing, policy makers idle) later on as per money availability.

We the tax payers so small in number s can't change the scenario, hence searching amicable solution on this thread.

Why are some people still stressing on the fact that sedans have a boot and that is an advantage?

In the first post, I have clearly mentioned that, lets assume a person who does not necessarily require a big boot has a 7 Lac budget.
We have discussed importance of boot, separate boot on this thread recently for a buyer, in some situations.

I think time has come up to enlist
1) various premium hatchbacks available in market which can take place of a budget sedan and vice versa.
2) various requirement of a budget sedan aspirant
3) various requirements of a premium hatch aspirant
4) various compromises a premium hatch aspirant can do so as to switch over to a budget sedan.
5) various compromises a budget sedan aspirant can do so as to switch over to premium hatch.
6) various reasons of change over both ways.
7) various compulsions of change over.
Please suggest appropriate correction s and addition s to above mentioned list.

Last edited:
LET ME TRY TO CLARIFY ALL THE QUERIES ONE BY ONE AS PER MY PRIORITIES:
First of all,let's make a list of:-
Premium hatches:Maruti Suzuki Ritz,Swift.
VW Polo,Skoda Fabia.
Renault Pulse,Nissan Micra.
Tata Indica Vista,Fiat Punto.
Ford Figo,Toyota Liva,Honda Jazz.
Hyundai i-20.

Budget sedans:Maruti Suzuki Swift DZire.
Tata Indigo eCS,Manza.
Mahindra Verito,Toyota Etios.

1) various premium hatchbacks available in market which can take place of a budget sedan and vice versa.
Out or premium hatches,which I feel the best are:-
Honda Jazz(best in my views),VW Polo,Skoda Fabia,Fiat Punto,hyundai i-20.
As only these hatches don't feel like riding a hatch after you get inside.

2) various requirement of a budget sedan aspirant
Boot,Boot and only Boot.else the budget sedans do't have even a single positive over the premium hatches.They are bought because people think that the boot will add to their status.

3) various requirements of a premium hatch aspirant
Space,comfort,ease of driving,features,flexibility,performance,overall product quality and at last the practicality of a hatch(Especially in city) comes handy with all these.

4) various compromises a premium hatch aspirant can do so as to switch over to a budget sedan.
Only some boot space else there is nothing else.Boot space means a boot which is not a part of the cabin.

5) various compromises a budget sedan aspirant can do so as to switch over to premium hatch.
Features,flexibility,overall product quality,FE and performance.

6) various reasons of change over both ways.
7) various compulsions of change over.
No comments,I am out of wits(time too)now...

Boot,Boot and only Boot.else the budget sedans do't have even a single positive over the premium hatches.They are bought because people think that the boot will add to their status.
so does that mean sedans of early ages were useless because comparatively if you drive an ambassador or contessa, you dont feel like in a premium car.

Only some boot space else there is nothing else.Boot space means a boot which is not a part of the cabin.
do Premium sedans have any black magic from its boot . boot is just an added accessory not mandatory.

First cars would have been like a hatchback i.e just a seat with a motor. then they might have added a box preferably at the rear to carry things.

with the evolution , came sedan. I cannot believe but laugh when I see people pointing towards all the abilities of a car shows up only when it has a boot with a premium tag.

the fact is manufacturer designed in that way and perfected in many years. the more perfect one got more expensive it became getting a premium , which can be done with any hatchback too.
but hatchback will always remain cheaper,trendy ,efficient,funky and sporty than sedan.

Now the cult is make sedan too cheaper ,efficient,VFM product not the other way round..

Its all about perception, utility, requirement and socio-cultural factors.

Further, for a generation grown up thinking about and seeing cars as 3 box thing, a proper car is generally a sedan (may be for persons 30 and beyond)

For an younger generation grown up seeing only hatchbacks in their neighbourhood and (especially in Mumbai) seeing 3 box cars as only taxis, will have a different idea about cars.

Again these are not binding to all.

Now there are some other people who think that all entry level sedans are hatchbacks with boot and so called premium cars are only sedans. But they don't know or ignore the fact that their so called proper sedans are hatchbacks elsewhere - SX4, Laura, Civic etc.

Like the first post in this thread says - If you don't need a boot, then will you go for a sedan just for status.

May or may not depending on the individuals.

Thread Starter #101
Why don't you understand buddy that if you compare the premium hatches with budget sedans only then this thread won't have anything left to comment.It will simply become a one-sided game.
Take it this way:
If you compare a Polo 1.6 with an Etios then the Etios will fell short on score to fight against a Polo.But if you do same by keeping a Honda City 'E' or a Rapid MPI then the game changes,now it looks like a comparable pair.
Oh my God...

I am literally tired of explaning the content of this thread now. If someone else can, please help.

Dear Vipul, as you say, if you want a direct sedan v/s hatchback debate, please feel free to open a new thread. I will join you there & discuss. This thread is not regarding that. It is about premium hatches v/s budget sedans, take it or leave it.

TSIvipul what raj i s trying to ask in this thread is exactly what u mentioned for example he is asking through this thread will you buy a swift or a mahindra vertio , the whole point of this thread is though budget sedans have many many less features then a feature rich hatch there are some people who buy a feature less sedan thinking they will have a boot , and plus maybe believe sedan has much more social status .
Let me ask you a question given a choice which car you will buy Hyundai i20 or etios or VW polo or a petrol Nissan sunny ? This thread is exactly asking your choice between a very basic level sedan and feature rich hatchback because sometimes the price is perfectly same.
Sedans to consider are - verito, etios, dzire,manza , indigo.
Hatches to consider are - swift, punto, pulse, i20 ,jaaz .
You have to pick up something from the above list only .
Which will be your choice and why ? This is just what raj is trying to ask the members .

1)
7)
Please suggest appropriate correction s and above mentioned list.
LET ME TRY TO CLARIFY ALL THE QUERIES ONE BY ONE AS PER MY PRIORITIES:
First of all,let's make a list

I think preparing various lists of requirement s of members posting here, then trying various combinations and permutations of sedan and hatchback and overlapping requirement s of the members, we can prepare an excel sheet or a flow chart which will give the member a choice (a sedan or a hatchback), which will be helpful during voting. Then if e. we feel that the vote is flawed , we can ask mods to increase the no. of options available for voting.

Tsi has responded, let other respond with their personal, family, city, highway running requirements which are overlapping.

We can have conclusions drawn which will be helpful to everyone who faces this premium hatch vs entry level sedan dilemma in future.

This is quite a tricky thread for me as it concerns two cars which I love alot.And to be honest now I am personally not worried about premium hatch or budget sedan,since I plan to buy a cute diminutive hatch as my city ride and a big bad butch SUV as my highway getaway vehicle.But still if I have to chosse what I will?

As far as premium hatch goes , I love Punto and only Punto(because of its looks),I will literally close my eyes and go for Punto if I ever decide to buy a premium hatch,however.....!!!!!!!

However there is one serious problem for me to be able to do that in form of a budget sedan called Manza that has recently caught my throbes.Few months back I had the privilege to TD Manza and ever since I am smitten by this masterpiece from TATA.Here is what I felt when I TD Manza:

Woooow, yesterday got the privilege of driving my first manza elan tyrian wine colour.It was a test drive car organised by "Basudev Auto" Hazaribag.My observations of the car are below. Remember i drive a petrol indica for daily basis and please see my comments in that light:

LOOKS: Manza elan in wine colour looks hot and fabulous, its so tantalizing that i felt like buying it witjout a TD.When compared with verito and dezire it looks definitely a 'class apart'.Now i know why the japanese sent tanuka san as a spy.

INTERIORS: Manza has got soft touch interiors with purple-beige combo.Initiallt i thought that i won't like purple colour, but just as i sat in the car i almost felt in love with the dash and more so with the steering itself.

ENGINE/ PERFORMANCE : Manza thanks to 90 ps power is a rocket, initially i was worried abt turbo lag of the diesel motor, but once i floored the throttle in the 1st gear the car absolutely moved frwd like a petrol car,and in 2nd gear as soon as i went past 2200 RPM, whoooosh the turbo kicked in after that i was like this :biggrin: throughout my drive, man this car will smoke my petrol indica whithin nano seconds, what pick-up, what smoothness.The gear box was awesome, soft, slick, precise, the clutch, brake and throttle were also soft and mighty responsive.All in all the best tata car ever, period.

RIDE & HANDLING : Manza has got awesome space, ride and handling, yes you read it right handling, the car swallowes potholes like snacks and handles remarkably well for a tata, thank you tata motors for developing manza.The NVH of this car is also supreme.

All in all a fabulous car, if i was in the market to buy a 8 lac sedan i would look no further and buy this amazing product by tata, hell i feel extremely jealous of the manza owners now after driving it, hell they enjoy it on a daily basis , wow thats exactly what i can say.LONG LIVE THE MANZA[clap]
Note: I haven't driven Punto yet as my local TATA dealership didn't had any fiat cars for td or for demo,but since last month now both Punto and Linea are available for TD and fiat also has got their separate SE.So will try to test drive punto and then update this thread,lets see whether Punto impreses me more than Manza or not.

As of now, I really find it tough to choose between Budget sedan(Manza) and my choice of premium hatch(punto).So haven't voted yet.

Thread Starter #105
^^^ If you are a passenger, you will adore the Manza.

If you love driving, get behind the wheel of the Punto once, take it to some nice high speed highway with lots of twisties. it can put many D class sedans to shame. Dont take my word for it, test drive & then conclude. Also, 0-100 kmph of Punto is pathetic, if you are keen on that.

P.S.: this has nothing to do with this thread comparison (before someone pounces on me!)

Top Bottom