Your Choice Between Premium Hatchbacks and Budget Sedans?

Your Pick?

• Total voters
@TSI Vipul, But if your running increases @1800 \month ,i20 crdi will be a good buy without increasing the cost of a car and fuel bills. + you will get electrically retractable mirrors. It is good feature for people(I do not mean to say you) who are always in hurry in tight parking slots, on narrow roads. Foldable rear seat convets the car rear in a very big boot

Important criteria here is flexibility of requirements,

Oh mannn.... This thread is very interesting to read.. when some members stressing on their point and Raj trying to explain them what is the real purpose of the thread... :-)

Now back to Point...
If I have 7-8 Lacs in which I have options to buy High End Hatch or Budget Sedan..
Ofcourse I would go for Hatch :-).
This is the same thing many people said to me, That when you bought Hatch for 7.40 lacs Why dint you go for Etios or Manza.
My answer to this was, This budget sedans does not have. ABS, AirBags, Blue & Me, Steering mounted controls, integrated ICE, ACC, Alloy wheels, etc. and few more things.
Now there were 2 options, either to go for budget sedans which MIGHT provide (please note I am not sure if that would provide) me better back seats and will surely provider me bigger boot OR should I go for High End Hatch with smaller boot and decent back seats and hell lotz of features. Obviously answer is Hatch :-). Also to add this, Its been 4 months I am using my PUNTO daily and it has clocked around 8600 KM, only 10-15 days on average I might have utilised the full boot of the car and maximum number of times me and my wife are the only 2 people in the car.

That's it from me. Dont want to get much into the thread as this might again divert the original purpose of the thread. :-)

Last edited:
Oh mannn.... This thread is very interesting

Now back to Point...
If I have 7-8 Lacs
Why dint you go for Etios or Manza.
My answer to this was, This budget sedans does not have abs, airbags etc. and few more things.
Now there were 2 options, either to go for budget sedans which MIGHT provide (please note I am not sure if that would provide) me better back seats and will surely provider me bigger boot OR should I go for High End Hatch with smaller boot and decent back seats .maximum number of times me and my wife are the only 2 people in the car.

That's it from me. :-)
Please , do not compare abs, airbag with rear seat comfort , feature s, its a wrong comparison. Safety features will always have prime importance, they can't be replaced by comfort features.(Life is more important than the luxury)

In budget of 8 lakh rupees , we have manza (abs, airbags version) available.
But in your case only 2 people are travelling most of the time, so going for a abs+ airbags + comfort feature packed hatch is justified.

But, if someone has tall or elderly parents (they suffer from joint pains as a natural course ) seating on rear seat, Why not to give them opportunity to streth their legs in a sedan like manza?
Also if someone has his wife seating with CROSSED legs on the backseat with baby on her lap(for comfortable nursing) along with bags full of babies needs, don't you think rear seat comfy sedan is the choice in lieu of the other features and the brand logo of the car?

Okay guys, I am kind of a living example of this Thread! I had a budget sedan earlier in the form of Mahindra Renault Logan 1.4Gle & now I have 'upgraded' to a Hatch in the name of Honda Jazz 1.2select !!!

The Logan had a C Class rivalling 510lts of boot space (which I hardly used) whereas the Jazz has 316lts (which was enough for a weekend trip for 5adults, what more do I need?)

Recently, a friend of mine came from chennai with loads of luggage. I mean loads even though he was travelling alone. He looked at my jazz & said will it fit? I simply opened the rear passenger door, folded both the seats upwards & just like ''magic' there was probably more space than a conventional sedan could offer in a boot.After everything fitted inside (remember I hadnt put a single piece of luggage in the boot), he started laughing at his own ignorance & I had a satisfied smile on my face. Even if there were 2 more passengers in the rear I couldv'e used the 316lts of bootspace & some more from the 3rd unused seat in the backseat to fit everything comfortably.

When we buy a car we buy it with certain parameters in mind. For me it was Brand image, reliability, quality, features & a nice peppy engine- all of which the jazz gave me. The Logan was my first car after all so it will foreover remain etched in my memory but my mind knows that the Jazz is simply leagues ahead of a dated car like the Logan.

If I have 7-8 Lacs in which I have options to buy High End Hatch or Budget Sedan..
Ofcourse I would go for Hatch :-).
This is the same thing many people said to me, That when you bought Hatch for 7.40 lacs Why dint you go for Etios or Manza.
My answer to this was, This budget sedans does not have. ABS, AirBags, Blue & Me, Steering mounted controls, integrated ICE, ACC, Alloy wheels, etc. and few more things.
For 7.8 lacs you will get all those features and additionally comfort and a boot too in a Manza. (Elan trim)

ABS, AirBags, Blue & Me (name will be different), Steering mounted controls, integrated ICE, Alloy wheels

First and foremost factor which dealing with premium hatch and entry level sedan is the requirements in mind. What sort of car we need and how should it look are the main parameters. Some may like sedan and some may not have problem in buying a hatch.

Yes safety is prime importance. It's all about perception one have in their mind. To some safety is the key factor and to some sedans seems like niche. I would go with safety first and get a higher end premium hatch with all features. [:)]

First and foremost factor which dealing with premium hatch and entry level sedan is the requirements in mind. What sort of car we need and how should it look are the main parameters. Some may like sedan and some may not have problem in buying a hatch.

Yes safety is prime importance. It's all about perception one have in their mind. To some safety is the key factor and to some sedans seems like niche. I would go with safety first and get a higher end premium hatch with all features. [:)]
And you went ahead to buy a Sunny. [;)]

Last edited:
Please , do not compare abs, airbag with rear seat comfort , feature s, its a wrong comparison. Safety features will always have prime importance, they can't be replaced by comfort features.(Life is more important than the luxury)

But in your case only 2 people are travelling most of the time, so going for a abs+ airbags + comfort feature packed hatch is justified.

But, if someone has tall or elderly parents (they suffer from joint pains as a natural course ) seating on rear seat, Why not to give them opportunity to streth their legs in a sedan like manza?
Also if someone has his wife seating with CROSSED legs on the backseat with baby on her lap(for comfortable nursing) along with bags full of babies needs, don't you think rear seat comfy sedan is the choice in lieu of the other features and the brand logo of the car?
But Manza is just a boot attached to Vista. So if not same, similar rear seat space is also available in Vista as well, with all safety features and comforts. So the answer for me is still Hatch. May it be Vista or Punto :-), But then I went with Punto. And if there would be any elderly parents in my family with Joint Pains then I would not care about money while buying the car, I will care about comfort of my parents. And this thread is not about rear seat comfort, Its about what you will buy if you have that budget, and my answer was Hatch with the explaination of the same. I don't want to go into a big debate about this, but this is my answer to poll. You may like it, if not ignore it. :-)

And price for Manza Elan is 7.88 lacs ex Showroom that would come around to 9 lacs OTR.

Last edited:
But Manza is just a boot attached to Vista. So if not same, similar rear seat space is also available in Vista as well, with all safety features and comforts. So the answer for me is still Hatch. May it be Vista or Punto :-)
Not for a debate but just for a right perception.

Manza is not just a boot attached to Vista.

Wheel base is more
Width is more
Engine power is more
Torque is more
Bigger wheels and wider tyres.

So sedans offer something more than hatches other than features and boot.

There is very thin line of seperation between debate and info and quarrel on this thread , but we should bring some productive conclusions out of it, as this is a unique thread of its kind on indian net. I request everybody , not to take anything personally.

Manza elan diesel, mumbai ~8.2 L otr after discount since 2 days due to maharashtra budget.
Manza elan petrol otr is ~7 L otr.

Manza is praised for its rear seat comfort comparable to' s class' by its owners and experts. Its not at all a boot attached vista. It's a proper sedan, though it is light on pocket.

Autosafari has revealed technical facts , top end vista is good deal if one is ready to sacrifice the rear comfort, torque.

Last edited:
@TSI Vipul, But if your running increases @1800 \month ,i20 crdi will be a good buy without increasing the cost of a car and fuel bills. + you will get electrically retractable mirrors. It is good feature for people(I do not mean to say you) who are always in hurry in tight parking slots, on narrow roads. Foldable rear seat convets the car rear in a very big boot

Important criteria here is flexibility of requirements,
Well,buddy it looks like you are in love with i-20,why?Because every post of your have at least one i-20.Why don't you meet 'The Xover',he is a true fan of Aria.

Coming back to topic:-
About electrically retractable mirrors:Definitely they are really important while driving in city,but still they are not that important thet for them I'd make compromise on my driving comfort,and many more essential features.Simple it is "I CAN LIVE WITH LESSER FEATURES,BUT NOT WITH LESSER HORSES"although I am forced to live with them too in form of Corolla D-4D(My father bought it,I bought TSi)..[lol]

Really glad to hear this buddy,at least there is someone for whom safety comes first,like with me. Each of the points mentioned by you are enough to justify the need of hatchback or a sedan in every case.
+1000

Okay guys, I am kind of a living example of this Thread! I had a budget sedan earlier in the form of Mahindra Renault Logan 1.4Gle & now I have 'upgraded' to a Hatch in the name of Honda Jazz 1.2select !!!

The Logan had a C Class rivalling 510lts of boot space (which I hardly used) whereas the Jazz has 316lts (which was enough for a weekend trip for 5adults, what more do I need?)

Recently, a friend of mine came from chennai with loads of luggage. I mean loads even though he was travelling alone. He looked at my jazz & said will it fit? I simply opened the rear passenger door, folded both the seats upwards & just like ''magic' there was probably more space than a conventional sedan could offer in a boot.After everything fitted inside (remember I hadnt put a single piece of luggage in the boot), he started laughing at his own ignorance & I had a satisfied smile on my face. Even if there were 2 more passengers in the rear I couldv'e used the 316lts of bootspace & some more from the 3rd unused seat in the backseat to fit everything comfortably.

When we buy a car we buy it with certain parameters in mind. For me it was Brand image, reliability, quality, features & a nice peppy engine- all of which the jazz gave me. The Logan was my first car after all so it will foreover remain etched in my memory but my mind knows that the Jazz is simply leagues ahead of a dated car like the Logan.
Again +100,no doubt you are 100% right buddy and hence I say "Its not that for no reason Jazz is my hot favorite"the flexibility and the balance of all and everything Jazz provides can put most of the cars to shame(sedans too).But,only one car can't force me to accept that hatches are better overall.Bust yes,if it would have been a Jazz Vs other cars thread then definitely not only under 8 lacs but even under 10 lacs I'd have gone for a Jazz any day(mentioned zillions of times in many threads before too)

Not for a debate but just for a right perception.

Manza is not just a boot attached to Vista.

Wheel base is more
Width is more
Engine power is more
Torque is more
Bigger wheels and wider tyres.

So sedans offer something more than hatches other than features and boot.
This is what i have been shouting for a long time.Why people have made an image of sedans as just a boot attached to a hatch.They are really too much more than what most of us think they are.And this is not with Vista and Manza only but it is with most of the cars.

Thread Starter #89
Why are some people still stressing on the fact that sedans have a boot and that is an advantage?

In the first post, I have clearly mentioned that, lets assume a person who does not necessarily require a big boot has a 7 Lac budget.

It is not rocket science that if someone needs a boot, he will but of course buy a sedan. But there are some who does not need a boot, will use his car only for office commutes, still buy a sedan as it has "more class" apparently (even some TAI'ns think like this as demonstrated in this thread). This thread is regarding that.

That is the reason we are directly comparing premium hatches with budget sedans. Lets compare things like power, comfort, space, ride, handling, features, safety, value for money, etc.

Please repeat after me guys -

No boot required
No boot required
No boot required

Why are some people still stressing on the fact that sedans have a boot and that is an advantage?

In the first post, I have clearly mentioned that, lets assume a person who does not necessarily require a big boot has a 7 Lac budget.

It is not rocket science that if someone needs a boot, he will but of course buy a sedan. But there are some who does not need a boot, will use his car only for office commutes, still buy a sedan as it has "more class" apparently (even some TAI'ns think like this as demonstrated in this thread). This thread is regarding that.

That is the reason we are directly comparing premium hatches with budget sedans. Lets compare things like power, comfort, space, ride, handling, features, safety, value for money, etc.

Please repeat after me guys -

No boot required
No boot required
No boot required
I just can't hold my self from laughing [lol]...I pity on you Raj.. Sorry.. But it is simple thing and others have come out with many conclusions for the same topic and also the thread some where in between was being dragged to some other topic. Simple from me is if I have 7 Lacs for which I can go for High End Hatch or Budget Sedan , I will definitely buy Hatch.

Now Note : This post is about voting on what each one of us personally think. Please dont come banging on me if you feel I am not right in my thinking. This is my personal view.

Top Bottom