Your Choice Between Premium Hatchbacks and Budget Sedans?

Your Pick?

• Total voters
Re: Budget Rs.8 Lac – Your Pick: Premium Hatchback or Budget Sedan?

@s class, why are you leaving the thread? Flaws in the poll can be discussed here.

If one doesn't want to go for etios.he can go for linea, if separate boot is a must have thing for him.
For me separate boot is a must have thing, as I carry fish boxes /fruit in it while coming back from sea shore trip to home, Also I carry used or to be used surgery instrument boxes in a separate boot, with which other passengers/family members are uncomfortable if placed in the boot of hatch back.

Many times semi wet clothes are hurried ly put in the boot, while coming back from a picnic , smell can be uncomfortable in a hatch.
Still tight budget/parking slot can compel someone to go for a hatch ,
We all are here to help each other, especially while making buying decision depending on various, personal, social, financial requirements.

Let's rebuild the thread.

I cant comprehend yet, what does the title means..

if one is looking for features then there no point thinking about budgets or base versions.

but I could realize that it was a sweet/humble revenge from mods.

Re: Budget Rs.8 Lac – Your Pick: Premium Hatchback or Budget Sedan?

@s class, why are you leaving the thread? Flaws in the poll can be discussed here.

If one doesn't want to go for etios.he can go for linea, if separate boot is a must have thing for him.
For me separate boot is a must have thing, as I carry fish boxes /fruit in it while coming back from sea shore trip to home, Also I carry used or to be used surgery instrument boxes in a separate boot, with which other passengers/family members are uncomfortable if placed in the boot of hatch back.

Many times semi wet clothes are hurried ly put in the boot, while coming back from a picnic , smell can be uncomfortable in a hatch.
We all are here to help each other, especially while making buying decision depending on various, personal, social, financial requirements.

+100 to that. atleast we wont have some baseless comparo now.

Re: Comparison Between Hatchbacks v/s Sedans

There is not standard name as stretched hatchebaks. you pay for sedan ,you tell mention it as sedan,your RC shows as sedan and manufacturer also quote it as sedan.

Old habbits dies hard and when you have pocket full of money you act more ignorant and arrogant.

I have always found Hatchbacks more flexible than sedans ,open the hatch fold down the seats you can place a small bike.

I have done a video shooting in my punto which could only be possible through hatch door else i'd had to hire a truck.
Jaydev,

The pics which you have posted here, once of which shows bicycle in it are surely not of hatch but of some station wagon or MUV/MPV. I can say this as in both pics there is a 3rd window which is seen clearly & hatches don't have 3rd window.[glasses]

OK, if you insist, I am back then.
And me too felt that separate boot is always better, especially that post paint spillage in i20.

Last edited:
Thanks point_city for adding info.
When 3 months back I was searching for an 'appropriate car ' for me.
I went to see diesel verna, found that ingress, egress poor for my height (180 cm + hat)
back seat comfort was poor due to high flooring leading to flexion at knee joints, thus leaving me without under thigh support.
But i 20 backseat was comfortable for me.

Long waiting period+ above mentioned observation,( two unfavourable factors togather) lead me to delete verna and add i 20 (hatch was not on the agenda till that time)in the buying cart.

Very long waiting period can be a decisive factor .

Thanks point_city for adding info.
When 3 months back I was searching for an 'appropriate car ' for me.
I went to see diesel verna, found that ingress, egress poor for my height (180 cm + hat)
back seat comfort was poor due to high flooring leading to flexion at knee joints, thus leaving me without under thigh support.
But i 20 backseat was comfortable for me.

Long waiting period+ above mentioned observation,( two unfavourable factors togather) lead me to delete verna and add i 20 (hatch was not on the agenda till that time)in the buying cart.

Very long waiting period can be a decisive factor .
+1. Ingress-egress of i20 is better than Verna, I found Verna very low lying. This was more evident as I immediately sat in Manza, which was far more comfy than Verna.

But for a family with average height < 5 f 6 inches, all is well in verna.(more power, more adrenaline releasing torque)especially if they want a segregated boot.Also they can show off the so called ' status symbol' to not so wise on lookers(not the intelligent car lovers)

I personally love to see executives carrying their expensive suits (hanged by a hook in 60:40 folded rear seat and boot) in a i 20

Suit is a better status symbol than the boot IMO.

Last edited:
I personally love to see executives carrying their expensive suits (hanged by a hook in 60:40 folded rear seat and boot) in a i 20
But in most cases who wear suite sit in rear seat, which is quite cramped in hatches.

Suit is a better status symbol than the boot IMO.
Though it may look good for people, once you step out of car or office & start sweating, you begin to feel like a polar bear in Rajasthan [lol].

But in most cases who wear suite sit in rear seat, which is quite cramped in hatches.

Though it may look good for people, once you step out of car or office & start sweating, you begin to feel like a polar bear in Rajasthan [lol].
I just wanted to say that rear seat of the I 20 is little more comfortable than verna,so one should think of personal comfort requirements rather than the boot's status value.

On polar bear part, I would say that is why the suite is hung inside the car, when the person knows that he is likely to sweat after aligthting.

As a personal choice i would only go for a hatch if a own a sedan. so that when i am travelling on highways i can use a sedan and for city purpose Hatch is the best option.

hatchback and an Suv.

(sedan goes to bin)

With Given amount of money I will be buying best available hatch. fiat punto now fiat bravo was in cards..

and an economy Suv like a Safari which should be comfy as well as a looker.

hatchback and an Suv.

(sedan goes to bin)

With Given amount of money I will be buying best available hatch. fiat punto now fiat bravo was in cards..

and an economy Suv like a Safari which should be comfy as well as a looker.
+100 that's what i prefer

I think the debate is still not over. I think the corporate version of Honda city costs somewhere around 8 lakhs. So does the
base version of new verna, rapid.
Well,I am still intact with the City here.Why?Simple it is:-
If one has a running of not more than 1000 kms per month or say person can easily afford to run a petrol car.He wants good comfort,FE,reliability,good service network,good ride and handling with the added advantage of a boot for their long journeys then why buy any hatch costing 7.5-8 lacs like i-20 CRDi,Punto 90 HP,Polo TDI etc etc.Although I know that this has gone diesel vs petrol car comparo but then I have already mentioned that fuel does not matter here.
City CE can be a fully loaded car for 8 lacs.I can manually adjust my A/C.
I can manually close my RVMs(Even Polo and Punto's owners also will do).
In other words I can compromise on some features but for getting just the 'LOLLIPOP' of getting some useless(nearly)features I am not ready to compromise on the extra power,extra comfort,better space,better ride etc etc.Actually hatches can have a lot of features but they are missing these most important features.

Top Bottom