Yamaha R15 v2 Special Edition: Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

It feels so good to be the first one to own the Yamaha R15 v2 Special Edition on the forum and get an opportunity to write a review on the same.

So finally I get to write this longggg awaited ownership review for my Yamaha R15 v2. I know many of you would be waiting for this and especially for the pictures, actually I was curious and excited too until I got the pictures from my brother.

So our search for a new bike or the replacement bike for our Graptor ended on “30 July’12”.

Reason for a new Bike:
The Hunt for the new bike started in June. Because our Graptor finally started giving us some troubles after serving us for 8 long years like a well behaved child. And since the bike is no more manufactured and due the unavailability of parts, we had to sell our bike. I didn’t want to put some random parts in my bike and decided to go for a new bike. And the other reason for replacing our current bike was my brother completing his Engineering and his birthday as well in July. So I thought that it would be a perfect gift at a perfect time.

Requirement for the new Bike:
So our requirements for the new bikes were that it should be a good performer, good handling, good breaking ability (so that one can drive it with full confidence) and should have nice looks too, actually looks were the main factor to be précised. And yes average FE as well, Thanks to the hike in petrol prices.

Contenders:
The list was finalized between me and my brother and the contenders were:
Pulsar 150
Pulsar 180
Pulsar 220
Yamaha R15
CBZ
Karizma Zmr

Below is the link for the TD reports. Don’t want to post the same thing twice.
Suggest Replacement Options for LML Graptor (Booked Yamaha R15 v2)

Few bikes were not considered because:
KTM Duke: My brother didn’t like the looks of the bike, but no doubt it is a very nice bike. But since my brother will be using the bike more than me, I didn’t want to buy something which he doesn’t like.
Honda CBR 250: Again a very nice bike but was bit out of the budget and the FE was low as it is a 250 CC.

Buying Experience:
So after one month of searching, taking TD’s, discussions we finally decided to book the Yamaha R15 v2 in Sunset Red color. Now the booking of R15 was a really long story, so please bare with me friends. Once we decided on the bike and color we looked for different options as in, where to book the bike? I called both the dealers in my city and got a quote for the R15 V2. The bike was costing us 1.23L (regular) and 1.29L (Limited edition) on road In Moradabad, UP.

After I was done talking to the SE over phone I randomly called one of my friend in Haldwani just to say hi, hello. Since I am in US for last 4 years I keep calling my friends every week. So I told him about the bike scenario and he asked me whether I have booked the bike, I said not yet. He told me that one of his close relative knows a Yamaha dealership and he will ask the OTR and let me know. I was like ok. So next day I called him again and the price quote that I got was 1.16L. I was like WOW straight 7k difference from my place. So the moment I heard that price it was final right then and there that I am going to get it from Haldwani. So I told my friend to book the bike and he paid Rs. 5000 to the dealer and booked the bike in Sunset Red color on 26 June’12. The dealer only had black color available at that time and told my friend that other color will be available by 5th July. So the delivery date was 5 July’12.

But the Sunset Red color was not in our destiny. My friend called the dealer on 3rd july and the dealer says that it will take another 4-5 days for the delivery from the actual delivery date. I was like ok with it, since 4-5 extra days didn’t matter a lot. My friend called the dealer again on 11 July and this time the dealer goes that the bike can only be delivered by the end of the month and he was not able to give us any exact date for the delivery which really pissed us[frustration]. So we thought that even if we wait till end of the month and what if he is not able to provide the bike after that also. So we canceled our booking with them and this was the worst experience of my life so far.

Then I called my cousin in Faridabad (HR) and told him to get OTR for the R15. Next day he went to the dealer and the dealer quoted 1.20L for regular version and 1.23L for the Limited Version. And the bike was available as well. So we booked the bike from Faridabad on 20 July’12 and this time we booked R15 V2 Special Edition. Though the bike was available but we couldn’t take the delivery because our family panditji said that the delivery could only happen on or after 29 July. My brother went to the dealership on 27 July and paid the full and final amount.

After all the mess created by the dealer in Haldwani and then our great panditji, finally we got our bike delivered on 30 July. My brother and cousin went to the dealership and signed the paperwork and took delivery of the bike. It was a really nice experience at Green Automobiles. SE greeted my brother and cousin very well and our bike was all set to go and the Teflon coating was done as well. Meanwhile my brother was doing the formalities the SE got the bike from inside and after completing the formalities when my brother came out and looked at the bike there was a big SMILE[:D] on my brother’s face as well as on my cousin’s face. They took the key and rushed home as it was about to rain and my brother didn’t want the bike to get dirty on the very first day.

Now coming back to the bike:
OTR: Rs 1,22,400.
Discount: Rs 500. (Initially the price quoted was Rs. 1,22,900)
Freebies: Teflon Coating.
Savings: Rs. 6600. (In my city OTR was 1.29Lac).

Power: The bike feels powerful enough with 17ps and ride is good at the same time. And the throttle response is very nice unlike the version 1 of R15. The bike loves being revved. May it be an open highway or bumper to bumper traffic, the bike does not feel suffocated. And the smooth gear shift’s adds more points towards the pleasure of riding it.
Ride: The bike rides really well but is bit stiff, and if you are used to riding commuter bikes than you will definitely feel that difference. After taking the TD of 220 and Karizma it definitely felt bit stiffer. But the seating position is really awesome, once you are on the seat it looks like that it was especially made for you and one gets adjusted in the seat very well. The linked type monocross suspensions do their job really well, it feels bit stiff but yes she absorbs them very well.
Gearbox: Well, Yamaha as usual has a wonderful and butter like smooth gearbox. You won’t have problem finding the neutral as well. But yes the shift lever is bit smaller and takes about 15-20 mins to get used too.
Handling/Braking: This is something where this bike scores on top comparing to its competitors, handling is wonderful. You can make a U turn without putting your feet down and the bike turns really well. And you get lot of confidence while driving it. Well when it comes to brakes, they are bang on spot and give you more confidence while riding the bike.
Looks, Fit &Finish: Well when it comes to looks of R15 v2 this what happens[:D] Again as a personal opinion R15 V2 has the best looks in the segment and gives you a complete sports look. Full size fairing and the broad rear tire makes the bike look wonderful, hence gives an overall good road presence. The back of the bike is very well updated than it’s previous version. Some people might not like the passenger seat position, since it’s bit higher than the other bikes.
Coming to fit and finishing of the bike, the quality of the parts on the bike is really good and hence gives you a feeling of an actual sports bike. None of the part looks like a cheap part.

+ves & -ves of the bike:
+ve’s:

-Looks and design are amazing. Has a complete sporty look which can melt your heart.
- Very aggressive riding position.
- Very good throttle response.
- Stability, cornering and braking are all together stupendous.
- The confidence level when you are riding the R15 is ultimate.
- 17 PS of power for a 150 cc makes it a good performer.
- Road presence is very awesome and definitely a head turner.
- You get 6 free services.

-ve's:
- Pillion seat is bit higher and can cause strain in the pillion back on long drives.
- Storage place is very less and can only occupy the tool kit and the emergency kit properly.
- Newbie’s will feel lot of weight on their hands after driving for a while and especially for the first time.
- Does not have the main stand. (But it does not matter to us because we never used the main stand in our Graptor as well. So we can live with that).

So overall I feel that R15 v2 outshines when it comes to handling and braking, due to the delta box frame, aggressive riding position, light weight and the stupendous brakes with massive speed shedding capability which gives you immense confidence while riding the bike and are helpful in making sharp turns as well.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Also thought of sharing the bike specs:
Engine:
Engine type: Liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, 4-valve
Cylinder arrangement: Single cylinder
Displacement: 149.8cc
Bore & Stroke: 57 × 58.7mm
Compression ratio: 10.4:1
Maximum power: 17PS/ 8,500rpm
Maximum torque: 15N.m / 7,500rpmm
Starting system: Electric start
Lubrication: wet sump
Fuel tank capacity: 12 liters
Fuel supply system: Fuel Injection
Ignition system: T.C.I
Primary / Secondary reduction ratio: 3.042 / 3.133
Clutch type: Wet Multiple-disc
Transmission type: Return type 6-speed
Gear ratios: 1st=2.833, 2nd=1.875, 3rd=1.364, 4th=1.143, 5th=0.957, 6th=0.84

Chassis:
Frame type: Delta box
Caster / Trail: 26° / 98mm

Tires & Brakes:
Tire size (Front / Rear): 90/80-17 / 130/70-R17
Brake type (Front / Rear): Hydraulic, single disc (Front / Rear)

Suspension type (Front / Rear): Telescopic / Linked type Monocross
Headlight Lo beam: 12V/35W X1,
Hi beam: 12V/35W X2
Battery: 12V, 3.5Ah (10H)

Dimensions:
Overall length x width x height: 1,970mm x 670mm × 1,070mm
Seat height: 800mm
Wheelbase: 1,345mm
Minimum ground clearance: 160mm
Kerb weight: 136Kg

Last edited:
Congrats for your new ride and color looks cool. The only thing is the rear seat which is not suitable for Indian roads.

Congratulations mate for your new bike. Looks really good in white color combination with red stickering. can I ask you what is the difference between normal bike and limited edition bike? These sports bike are generally single seater bikes, but they wont be able to sell single seater bike in India so they did provided a pillion seat but is not of much use though. [lol]

Thread Starter #7
congratulations brother, nice choice :)
Thanks buddy.

Congrats for your new ride and color looks cool. The only thing is the rear seat which is not suitable for Indian roads.
Thanks linkin. Actually pillion seat won't be used much.

Congratulations mate for your new bike. Looks really good in white color combination with red stickering. can I ask you what is the difference between normal bike and limited edition bike? These sports bike are generally single seater bikes, but they wont be able to sell single seater bike in India so they did provided a pillion seat but is not of much use though. [lol]
Thanks dharmesh. This one is the 50th anniversary limited edition. I have heard that Yamaha will only manufacture 4000 of these.
The difference between the limited and regular version is the color combination (it comes in white), it has golden Yamaha emblem and it has the emblem on the visor and the tail (back portion). The other versions don't have those on visor and back.

Actually the back seat is not that bad. It's okay for the local use and for small trips as well. Yes it's not comfortable like other bikes but it ain't bad either. So it's kinda in middle. Rest we will be using this bike locally most of the time.

Congrats Singh890, i wouldn't worry about the pillion seat in such a bike, interesting color tones - its looking good.
How are the brakes ?

@Singh:Congrats buddy,the bike is looking a lot like an R1(2008-09 one).I had ridden a 2008 R1 in white and this bike is quite identical to it.Only exhaust needs to be hidden.

What about some pic of the backlit console?
And any mods like angel eyes etc planned?

Thread Starter #10
Congrats Singh890, i wouldn't worry about the pillion seat in such a bike, interesting color tones - its looking good.
How are the brakes ?
Thanks Iron Rock. Exactly, i also don't care about the rear seat as well. 90% of the times there will be no pillion rider. And yes this color tone is really awesome. I saw it on the website first by when i saw the pics it looks even better. Can't wait to ride it..

Brakes are very nice[thumbsup] and give you a lot of confidence. One of the reasons we choose r15.

@Singh:Congrats buddy,the bike is looking a lot like an R1(2008-09 one).I had ridden a 2008 R1 in white and this bike is quite identical to it.Only exhaust needs to be hidden.

What about some pic of the backlit console?
And any mods like angel eyes etc planned?
Thanks buddy. Yes you right it looks like a R1 to quite a few extent.

Today my brother would have gone back home which is a 180 km trip from Faridabad. So once he gets home, he will wash and clean the bike (as it was raining from 2-3 days) and then click some nice pictures. So waiting for the pics, should have them by tomorrow.

And as of right now no Mods for the bike. Just want to keep it in the stock condition until sometime and i guess i don't need any mods on the v2 it looks hot[;)] without any mods anyways. But yes will get the back of the rear tire thing removed, i guess you know what i'm saying.

Last edited:
Congrat's on the new ride buddy,just get those dealer's sticker removed from front shock's as it's an eye sore on this beautiful bike.

Thread Starter #12
Congrat's on the new ride buddy,just get those dealer's sticker removed from front shock's as it's an eye sore on this beautiful bike.
Thanks dude. And yes i will get them removed, i already told my brother to get rid of those dealer stickers.

Thread Starter #15
All right guys finally i have the pictures, so here we go.
SDC10316.jpg

SDC10244.jpg

SDC10245.jpg

SDC10246.jpg

Ten Spoke alloy adds more beauty to the looks of the bike.
SDC10247.jpg

SDC10254.jpg

SDC10255.jpg

SDC10263.jpg

Top Bottom