Yamaha FZ25 - Knight Black

Thread Starter #46
Though I was not given the booklet at the time of delivery, I got it when I went to collect the RC.
I never got a booklet for protection plus, never even conveyed that one existed by dealer.

Btw, any plans for headlight upgrade?
Looking into it, Yamaha India's customer care is saying same dialogue from past few months when questioned about headlight assembly. Considering weak consumer protection in India, I doubt Yamaha India will even think of fixing this screw up.

There are models available in Aliexpress but entire assembly with cowl and fairing seems too costly (starts at 150$). However there are dirt-bike headlight assembly which is available for pretty cheap.

I don't have enough data wrt to alternator to go with headlight upgrade.

krishna6239 said:
I never got a booklet for protection plus, never even conveyed that one existed by dealer.
Even I was not conveyed. Luckily, I got know about the booklet from X-Bhp ownership thread. Immediately called the SA and he acknowledged that such booklet exists and I can get it later.

krishna6239 said:
I don't have enough data wrt to alternator to go with headlight upgrade.
Even I'm in the same boat. Btw, have you switched to any engine oil apart from Yamalube? Some are saying that doing so may void warranty, any idea on this?

Cheers!

Thread Starter #48
Even I was not conveyed. Luckily, I got know about the booklet from X-Bhp ownership thread. Immediately called the SA and he acknowledged that such booklet exists and I can get it later.
Called up my dealer, since it's been generated online computer updates itself at time of servicing.

Btw, have you switched to any engine oil apart from Yamalube?
Tried Shell Ultra (API-SM), felt slight increase in Vibes at 7K rpm and low end was smooth though. Next i'll use Motul for sometime.

Some are saying that doing so may void warranty, any idea on this?
Engine of FZ25 is based on XT250 which was back in 1980's & 2004. Engine was designed to use oil based on API-SL & JASO MA.
Engine oil like API-SM or SN certified will have low quantity of Zinc, Phosphorus and Sulphur when compared to API-SL. Due to lack of zinc, FZ25's engine parts tend to wear out faster in API-SM/SN than in API SL.
And using Yamalube just increases their profits.

As long as you can prove them that you are using API-SL certified oil they can't deny warranty saying engine oil is cause of issue.

Last edited:
krishna6239 said:
As long as you can prove them that you are using API-SL certified oil they can't deny warranty saying engine oil is cause of issue.
Thanks a lot for the information Krishna. This was very informative. Please update us on your experience on Motul.

Cheers!

Thread Starter #52
1. Have you removed the tank cover that you made recently?
No, this was done even before I got the tank cover. You can see the blue cowl in tank cover pictures.

2. I don't see an engine guard? Any reason for not fitting that?
To get it wrapped, I had to remove all panels and wrap over surface completely. Removing engine guard makes things easy. I took this picture soon after it was wrapped.

Thread Starter #53
ODO - 11300kms

Changed oil to Motul 7100 10W40 API-SN as Yamalube 10W40 FS lost it's viscosity at 1800kms after service. Drove around 70kms, initial observations :
- Engine vibrations considerably reduced at low end and slightly at high end.
- Gear shifts became smooth across rev range.
- Exhaust noise felt reduced.
- Real time FE was showing less than with Yamalube, have to verify this via FT method.

Thread Starter #54
Just crossed 12000 KMS on the bike. Off all the kms i tracked using fuel apps, i got 34.5kmpl avg. The bike seems to be a perfect dual sport if not for the ground clearance (160mm).

Bad headlight spoils the fun of riding at night especially quite risky on rainy season. The weak Led's doesn't light up road properly even with high beam on and our beloved traffic keeps their high beam on thereby causing zero visibility of road for many on FZ25.

Attachments

Just crossed 12000 KMS on the bike.
Congratulations there!! Wishing you many more happy miles with smiles.

Bad headlight spoils the fun of riding at night especially quite risky on rainy season. The weak Led's doesn't light up road properly even with high beam on and our beloved traffic keeps their high beam on thereby causing zero visibility of road for many on FZ25.
Tell me about it! I don't have any confidence to take the bike above 60 or 70 on dark roads only because of the poor headlight. That's surely a fly in my ointment.

Also, any plans to upgrade the headlight?

Cheers!

Thread Starter #56
Also, any plans to upgrade the headlight?
Yup, finding out new ways to install an after market one during my free time.
I looked into two setups -
1 - 7" round headlight (preferably with drl). It'll be something similar to Cafe racer.
2 - Twin projectors from RC200/390 (costs around 3000INR). This will be similar to ZERO FX headlights

along with headlight one might also need a base plate (500INR), Cone for 7'' headlight or shield plate with angular for projector (500INR), Boot cover after projector (300INR), wiring and relays (1000INR).

Feel free to share any other ideas.

Last edited:
ODO - 11300kms

Changed oil to Motul 7100 10W40 API-SN as Yamalube 10W40 FS lost it's viscosity at 1800kms after service. Drove around 70kms, initial observations :
- Exhaust noise felt reduced.
- Real time FE was showing less than with Yamalube, have to verify this via FT method.
HI, I just crossed 15000 km, plan to get it serviced on my own , not in showroom.

Which engine oil do you suggest? can you update on your experience after using Motul ?

Thanks in advance

Thread Starter #59
HI, I just crossed 15000 km, plan to get it serviced on my own , not in showroom.
If you have extended warranty, then only do the minimum at ASC and rest with external. If you are not bothered by warranty, they it's better to do it outside as ASC is par below average standards.

Which engine oil do you suggest?
Depends on your ride-ability and likeness.
- If you don't want headache, Yamalube.
- If you want smooth performance, Motul.
- If you want performance with good FE, Maximal Oil (990INR/Litre)

can you update on your experience after using Motul
- Exhaust noise felt reduced even after 4000KMs
- FE is around 34KMPL (API-SN) and with Yamalube (API-SL) was around 38KMPL.
- There will be some slight clutch slippage now and then.

If you have extended warranty, then only do the minimum at ASC and rest with external. If you are not bothered by warranty, they it's better to do it outside as ASC is par below average standards.

Depends on your ride-ability and likeness.
- If you don't want headache, Yamalube.
- If you want smooth performance, Motul.
- If you want performance with good FE, Maximal Oil (990INR/Litre)

- Exhaust noise felt reduced even after 4000KMs
- FE is around 34KMPL (API-SN) and with Yamalube (API-SL) was around 38KMPL.
- There will be some slight clutch slippage now and then.

Thanks,

I dont have extended warranty, so got all the spares from Yamaha and got it one outside..
Engine oil - Motul 7100 , Air filter and spark plug from yamaha accessories

Definitely this is way smoother than Yamalube, I dont see a difference in Mileage as of now, will keep observing

Top Bottom