Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Grande EX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Grande GX

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

350Z

Core Team
You are correct Vibhor. Sumo Grande MKII is definitly one of the best SUVs. But I hate 2 things about it.

(1) Security. Look at the size of the vehicle and the security features. All you have is the macho size to protect you! There is no ABS or electronic stability assistance for breaking. If MKII had this feature, I would have certainly selected MKII over the milk van looking Xylo.
Yes, Tata Motors needs to look into the safety factor but it would certainly increase the cost of product as well, perhaps an optional pack should do the trick and yes, about the Milk Van statement, Its due to the short hood in comparison to overall body of Xylo which makes it look un-proportionate.

If you've missed to read our detailed Road Test Report of Grande Mk-II, Do check it here : Tata Sumo Grande Mk-II Road Test | The Automotive India.

ilango[speed thirst];23091 said:
And how will be the aria. add that in this race too.
I think ARIA will create a real impact and will give a hit to other big boys. The effect of that will be better products from other manufactures.
A different class will look in for Aria as it’s a cross-over, so not a MUV or a SUV. Rumors indicate that pricing will be close to Rs.11 - 14 Lakhs, So no way of giving the Innova a serious threat.

Drive Safe,
350Z

(1) Security. Look at the size of the vehicle and the security features. All you have is the macho size to protect you! There is no ABS or electronic stability assistance for breaking. If MKII had this feature, I would have certainly selected MKII over the milk van looking Xylo.

Yes Shynish!

TATA is now working hard on safety features too.

Even we expected ABS & Airbags in MK II since its launched after Manza, but its a turn down [frustration]

Lets hope for something best from the legends.

Thread Starter #18
You are correct Vibhor. Sumo Grande MKII is definitly one of the best SUVs. But I hate 2 things about it.

(2) Why did TATA added 'Sumo' to the name? They should called it Grande [;)] !!

Jokes apart, TATA is really coming up with good models. However, they have to focus on the security features as well. IMO, one can compromise on luxury features, but not on security.
i think the new model is called tata grande MK-II, they have removed the sumo.

ilango[speed thirst];23091 said:
And how will be the aria. add that in this race too.
I think ARIA will create a real impact and will give a hit to other big boys [thumbsup] The effect of that will be better products from other manufactures.
aria was not added as its not yet launched. moreover, its in a different price segment.

No Raj, The Sumo name with the new model still exists.

By the Way, Just for General Information, Sumo was named upon Sumant Moolgaonkar.

Drive Safe,
350Z
That is something I did not know!!
TAI is a great source of information!!

A small comparison between the Grande mark II and Xylo! I feel the Xylo is better overall!

The Mahindra Xylo was an instant hit after its launch a year ago. And for good reasons. It provides acres of space and comfortable three rows of seats. It has a decent ride and comes with a fabulous torquey engine. Above all, it is well-equipped and well-priced too.

The Tata Sumo Grande isn't a new car to us. Space and practicality were always its strong point. But it was let down by average performance, scary dynamics and poor quality interiors. Now Tata has tried to address all these deficiencies with the Sumo Grande Mark II. A bit of chrome on the grille, indicators on the rearview mirrors and a chrome-lined rub strip on the doors — these changes make Grande's chiselled styling even better.

Exterior and interior

The tall stance and SUV-like boxy proportions make the Xylo look like a mix between an SUV and MPV. The exteriors theme is carried onto the interiors as well. Once you step up into the Xylo's , you are greeted by a spacious cabin. The dash of the Xylo has a youthful design. You sit at a good height and all the controls fall to hand easily. The front seats are supportive and the adjustable handrest is a nice touch. The gear lever too is well-placed, but the golf club-like design of the gear knob is odd to hold. The air vents too are not good at directing flow. There are a few quality niggles. Interior quality in both cars is about average. The squarish design of the Grande translates into a very spacious cabin. The front seats are roomy and comfy in the Grande but the Xylo's front seats are a wee bit better. You get armrests up front in the Grande but they are not adjustable so they can't be used while driving as the gear lever is difficult to reach. The Grande's middle row is very spacious with loads of shoulder, leg and headroom. However, unlike in the Xylo, you don't have the option of two bucket or ‘captain' seats for the middle row.

Seating comfort

The Grande's third row of seats is one of the most comfortable around. There is enough shoulder room for two full-sized adults. The legroom and headroom are decent. The only grouse is that the headrests aren't adjustable and the partition in the seat leaves out the possibility of seating a third person. With the third row up in the Grande, there is hardly any space left in the boot. But once folded, you get decent room. The third row can also be removed completely and with the second row folded you get a huge flat bed for added practicality.

The Xylo was designed to offer massive space. The front seats are the most comfortable with good support. You get seat height adjust too but it's a spring-loaded design which means you have to lift your body off the seat to raise it, which is inconvenient. The captain seats in the second row offer similar levels of comfort as in the front. A neat feature is the manner in which the front and second row seats combine to make an airline-style flat bed.

The Xylo's third row too is good too but not as comfortable as the Grande's. The Xylo gets adjustable headrests but eventually loses out with a more upright seatback angle and less under-thigh support in the third row. The Xylo's boot space is similar to the Grande's but the seat cannot be removed completely, which limits its ultimate load-carrying capacity.

The Grande Mark II's engine feels more eager than before and you can drive this big MPV without the need to change gears all the time. Even with a full load, it doesn't feel underpowered. The Mark II takes 17.04 seconds to reach 100kph which is a 0.68sec improvement over the previous model. The Xylo responds very well to throttle inputs, even at low speeds, which makes it very driveable and a boon in city traffic. Zero to 100kph comes up in 14.75sec and it will hit a top speed of 161kph without creating a fuss. For an MPV, the Xylo is quite quick. The Xylo retails for Rs 8.32 lakh and is loaded with equipment. You get the option of airbags and ABS and extra features such as multi-function display, backlit vanity mirror and trip computer. The Tata Grande Mark II GX can be yours for Rs. 7.66 lakh and equipment levels are quite similar to the Xylo but you don't get some extra goodies such as ABS and twin airbags.

Source:Hindu

Attachments

Thread Starter #26
one query though- does the grande offer third row AC vents like the innova & xylo? i am not talking about the roof mounted AC vents in the second row (with 6 vents) like in the safari. i am talking about 2 dedicated air vents (in roof) for the third row.

if yes, its great. if no, then i bet the xylo's third row would still be more comfortable. i dont mind traveling in the innova's 3rd row as it has the dedicated AC vents. what use is the good seats & backrest angle if you are sweating in your seats?

350Z

Core Team
one query though- does the grande offer third row AC vents like the innova & xylo? i am not talking about the roof mounted AC vents in the second row (with 6 vents) like in the safari. i am talking about 2 dedicated air vents (in roof) for the third row.

if yes, its great. if no, then i bet the xylo's third row would still be more comfortable. i dont mind traveling in the innova's 3rd row as it has the dedicated AC vents. what use is the good seats & backrest angle if you are sweating in your seats?
Yes, Grande has twin vents at the rear

Drive Safe,
350Z

Attachments

Top Bottom