XUV 500 Ownership Experience - The Rouge Dumanator

Congrats for your Cheetah buddy. I guess its time you end up the teaser show and start with a full fledged album.

Thread Starter #17
Phase II of the movie begins -

PDI day -
Got a call from the dealer after two weeks, telling that the car has Arrived, and thereby made an Appointment for a PDI. I made a Long 10 page PDI List beforehand, and took my friend for the PDI. Everything was more than OK, and really couldn't find any issues. Just One thing that caught my attention, was there was some rust on all the wheel caps and the Sales guy gave me a vague excuse for that.
Also made the balance/full payment after being totally satisfied with the car.

"D"elivery day -
Me and my parents were all exited from the morning. The delivery was scheduled after lunch hours.
We reached and Mom was seeing the car for the 1st time. She had her quota of apprehensions when she heard it's a big car....However, the moment I directed her towards the car, I could see a Disguised satisfaction.

Dad was getting involved in the whole process for the 1st time(as till now I was handling everything), and finished all the signing formalities.
The dealer arranged a small puja done by Mom, and a nice Key presentation ceremony for which they presented us a Hard copy picture., along with a Small Choclate box.

Mom seeking blessing for our RD

Dad sprinkling holy coconut water all over RD

An evaluation on the looks -
1) Front part - One of the best I have seen. (9.5/10)

2) Rear part - No way matches up with the front aggression.(3/10)

3) Side part - Gives the car the bulgy looks, but not so impressive.(6/10)

4) Interior - I loved it. (8.5/10)

5) Overall - It lives upto the Agressive; Mean; Fast; Strong SUV image (7.5/10)

And then I was behind the steering wheels. Fuelled up RD (Rouge Dumanator), and it was a 1.5hour trip back home.

Driving Experience:
To be frank I was still a bit afraid, since I didn't had any previous experience of Driving any SUVs. But the seating postion gave me Loads of Confidence, (since I could see the top pf the Bonnet and that made it very clear of how much area the RD was covering).
But comming from a Maruti 800 (and some tit-bit driving of other small cars), the 1st thing you realise seating behind the wheels is "You are the King!!" [and the feeling is in literal sense]. You feel BIG, you feel the POWER, you feel the LUXURY, and then there is added RESPONSIBILITY of not to hurt the car or any-one else.

Points noticed while driving( almost all positive till now)
1) Instrument cluster - Very informative and clearly visible digits (9/10)
2) Gear Shifts - Very very smooth. (but found engaging the 5th gear to be hard sometimes)(8/10)
3) Clutch - Quite soft. (8/10)
4) Steering - very very easy to steer. But didn't like the ergonomics of the steering wheel, and when turned it hampers the visibility of the Instrument cluster(7.5/10)
5) A.C - Does it job superbly and very fast. (9/10)
6) Brakes - Well, there is a lot of freeplay (which I like), but when pressed, It does it's job well (8/10)
7) Music System - Well, not the best in class, but at least the sound doesn't crackle at full volume (6.5/10)
8) Seating Position and Driving ergonomics - Just Superb (10/10)
9) Suspensions - Agian not the best in class, but does it's job. Humps can be felt (5.5/10)
10) Turning Radius - good enough considering it's size (7/10)
11) Micro-Hybrid feature - very useful for city driving but I have a litlle doubt on whether will it affect the battery (7.5/10)
12) Cabinet Envoirment - With the Windows rolled up, the inside cabin is very quite. Feels like you are in a different world, far off from the chaos of the city. At low speeds you can't even feel that there is a diesel engine running under the hood. However the necessary sounds like the sirens, and The horn from other vehicles behind can be easily heard. (8/10)
13) Vibration - RD is smoother than most of the small petrol cars I have driven (8/10)
14) 3rd party reaction - Almost ever car, 2wheelers gave me pass after a single honk out of Respect / fear (whatever you name it). Feels like Salman Khan of Bollywood. But those stupid autos have their own share of arrogance. (9/10)

Note - Most of the evaluations here are in comparison to our old Maruti 800. Also the points will be evaluated on periodical basis, and will be updated.
The following points are yet to be checked -
Fuel efficiency, Acceleration, Body Roll, Top Speed, Wind noise, High speed cornering ability, Amount of Understeer and some other features of the RD

Demerit :
Till now One thing which I really think is a Demerit of this car, is the view from the rear windsheild while reversing is absolutely useless. The only assistance being the Reverse parking sensors, which seems difficult to be trusted by me, as my age old habbit seems to stuck to believe my eyes than the sensors.

ALthough being nervous, But the ride back home was very comfortable and there was never any uncertain moments. However, I really had a hard time trying to squeeze the RD into my uncle's compact garage, after making sure Destiny gets her own space and doesn't feel neglected.

Overall Feel :
Me and my Parents are all very happy and proud of The Rouge Dumanator. Hopefully there can be lot of safe and happy miles chrunching with the beast.

Very well made review mate. Kudos to you.
I do agree with your point with great power comes great responsibility.

What are your MODS planned for your RD?

Excellent stuff Shibadip, do post a lot of pics of the infotainment system especially for me, havent checked it in detail on a W6 , enjoy many a safe miles!

Hey Shibadip

Nice review(completely un-biased) about the front and rear looks. Your views are just perfect !! It looks stunning in Red.

XUV looks too different in each color[surprise][:)]

Congratulations Shibadip for the new acquisition, It was a real leap from M800 to RD. Your XUV looks "beautiful" BEAST in Red, I'm very happy that with every passing day M&M is improving the vehicle. Do take your RD on long highways ; This machine performs best on open roads as within city it feels like strapping a wild beast who want to be unleash, Let her stretch her legs and see for yourself what it is capable of.

By the way in my XUV which is month's old now does not show any signs of bounciness on broken roads until and unless road is deadly filled by potholes. Can you confirm how much pressure you keep in tires. It should be 32psi front and 30 psi rear. The measurements should be taken during the morning.

Wish you very happy miles ahead & Drive Safe!

Many congratulations for your red XUV. I am seeing this color for the first time on XUV. Indeed graduating from 800 to XUV will require a bit of time to get comfortable with driving the beast in heavy traffic conditions, however with time, the difference would be gone. My daily car is Alto, but driving a my dads car (Xylo, Civic or City) never feels different.

Wish you lacs of happy miles with your beast. I hope you have planned some long drives with your family.

Thread Starter #24
Just after getting our RD, was away from it, since I had to be In Chennai for a few days.
Anyways,I'm back, and looking forward to spend some More time with RD.
But still, cannot take it ON-Road, since she is without the no.plates. Will be getting the IND nos, within next week.

Thread Starter #25
Ok, Got the Ind no Plates. Now the RD is good to go on road, with no obligations. She now has all the documents to unleash herself.

Now, since I'm new to SUVs as well as to diesel cars, I would like to get all your suggestions on the following -
1) At what suitable RPM range should I change the gears?? Mind that XUV is in run-in period.
2) Since it is a turbo charged vehicle, should I idle the car for 30 sec pre start and post start?? I already have a habit of idling at prestart. The owner's manual doesn't recommend idling anytime..
3) I am still having tough times judging the area of the left side in tight situations. Any tips to handle that??
4) I am unable to reset the avg fuel indicator. There is no reset switch as is there in W8.
5 ) whether the hyundai verna reverse cam (where the reverse view comes up in the rear view mirrors) can be installed in the XUV???

Congratulations [:)] Shibadip

ANyone here autoexpert technical Guru Please suggest on the points raised by Shibadip?

As it will be helpful for me too, as I got my W6 beast on this Diwali. So please someone suggest and guide.

Ok, Got the Ind no Plates. Now the RD is good to go on road, with no obligations. She now has all the documents to unleash herself.

Now, since I'm new to SUVs as well as to diesel cars, I would like to get all your suggestions on the following -
1) At what suitable RPM range should I change the gears?? Mind that XUV is in run-in period.

You would get the hang of it as you drive along. In my case scorpio it is above 2000rpm and avoid revving it past 2500 rpm during running in period

2) Since it is a turbo charged vehicle, should I idle the car for 30 sec pre start and post start?? I already have a habit of idling at prestart. The owner's manual doesn't recommend idling anytime..
A: it is better to be safe than sorry. My mhawk scorpio mentions about 15 Secs of idle time in the manual. This should be True for you too.
On second thoughts whilst parking one would be hardly using the accelerator, so i guess the idling should be taken care of for regular use. Even then make sure for the idling during early morning and when taking long drives.

3) I am still having tough times judging the area of the left side in tight situations. Any tips to handle that??
Ask a co passenger to stand next to the left corner and tell them to guide you. It will take less than a week to get used to it.
4) I am unable to reset the avg fuel indicator. There is no reset switch as is there in W8.
No idea . iron rock should help here
5 ) whether the hyundai verna reverse cam (where the reverse view comes up in the rear view mirrors) can be installed in the XUV???
I think you would be risking your warranty if you use non standard accessories. Better confirm with the dealership

questions answered in the quote itself.

To answer your 4th point
Select Menu option and you will find the reset settings. I hope thats what you are looking for.

Top Bottom