Witnessed a Freak Accident

Thread Starter #1
I live in a Gurgaon Sector 7 Extn which has narrow 2 lane roads with multiple speed breakers (some small ones with reflective tapes, some not so small ones) coupled with cars being parked on both sides. It’s impossible to drive down these roads above 20-30kmph even during non-peak hours.

On Thursday 29th Jan 2015, I was on a half day (due for my son's 12:30 PM doctor's appointment). Around 11:15 AM, I was standing on my house's driveway of the main sector road (since my house is on the main road itself), I witnessed a freak accident. A young lad (probably in his early 20s) driving a grey colored Toyota Etios at breakneck speeds (probably over 100kmph) bearing down the same roads. He went on to slam the gates of the house just one house ahead of where both me and my son were standing. The impact of the crash was such that the Iron gates were smashed into pieces and the pillar holding the gate was sliced through in a loud crash. At first I could not comprehend what had happened. Then a neighbour informed that a lady of the house was injured and was lying in the ground floor balcony just meters away from where the car had crashed. I rushed to the scene after handing over my son to the same neighbour.

The car was leaking a murky mixture of coolant and engine oil and what not. There was a huge gathering by then. The driver came out blood dripping from a gash at his head (most probably he hit the steering on impact). He rushed to the lady of the house and on seeing her unconscious, he rushed out. Before he could flee or comprehend to flee, the crowd of onlookers got hold of him. I rushed to the unconscious lady, tried sprinkling water on her, but she was unconscious. After getting some onlookers to pull the car out, so that we could get the lady to a hospital, we (Both me and another neighbour) rushed her via an auto (within 10r 2 min of the accident) to one of gurgaon's hospital where she was pronounced dead on arrival. As per doctor's initial analysis, the car had hit the gates which further crashed into her breaking her ribs, which further punctured her hearts and lungs. She was most probably dead by the time we reached her. All her injuries were internal and there were minor external injuries, none of which were bleeding. The driver meanwhile was rushed to the same hospital by his parents and after knowing of the lady's demise was admitted into an ICU.

After the husband and kids of the lady arrived at the hospital, the police also came which took down our details but no questions were asked. Meanwhile, I asked the hospital-in-charge to take photocopies of the driver's details if in case he manages to escape which he said was not possible. Around 13:30 we left after checking with Police about any further help required from our end, which they replied in the negative. After reaching home, I got to know that the driver's family came in multiple cars and his mother was defending the action of her child. The next day, my father-in-law informed me that the driver with his family had absconded from the hospital, and later the news article said that the driver had been arrested from his home after police tracked down his address from the car's registration no. The driver was granted bail on the same day. The news article further states that the car had illegal sirens installed for which MV Act would also be cited. Freakiest part of the accident was that there was another car parked in the driveway of the lady's house, the distance from the gate pillar and the car was at max. 1 or 1.5 foot. The lady was closing the main gate of her house when this idiot came crashing. Another foot here and there would have most probably saved her life.

My deepest regret would remain that we could not save her and that moron of the driver would escape punishment and would probably never repent for what he has done.
I so wish that we have a law that punishes the guilty and serves as a lesson for all so that they think ten times before they act in such manner.
#Thank you Jatin (my neigbour) for helping me take that lady to the hospital.

#Thank You to the unknown auto driver for not taking any money (since both of us were not carrying our wallet or money)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Freak Accident

A person driving above 100 KMpH on the street where 20-30 KMpH is manageable in non peak hours, was he on suicide mission? Secondly, even after hitting the gate at that high speed and crashing Iron gate into pieces that guy came out walking?

Very sad to hear the story of that innocent lady who given up her life just because this moron has appeared from no where. RIP

I second goldenfox7 idea of having strict punishment to such racers so that others wont repeat same. Proud for efforts taken by goldenfox7 to save ones life.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

That's a really terrible account of event. A innocent life ended simply because of negligence of the driver. Such culprits need to be severely punished and more so it becomes imperative for the parents also to keep a check on their kid's habits. Today's kids are impulsive and don't think twice before giving into wrong habits, one being young drivers driving in rash manner.

No amount of speeches and posters about safe driving shall make a difference in today's youngsters until they are taught the right practices of safe driving right from home by their parents before getting on the steering.

I am really surprised that instead of accepting the fault of their son, the mother was defending him.[anger] Really poor state of affairs!

On the other hand, You and your neighbor have set an example of dignity and responsibility[thumbsup]. You both and the auto-driver did your level best but some happenings are beyond our control. So don't keep this sorrow forever in your heart buddy.

--Akash

100 KMPH where the speed limits 20, God, the driver was really on a suicide mission!

after such a high speed crash, causing so much of impact and damage, the driver escaped with minor bruises?

such morons cause the death / damage to lives and property of innocent people, and the best part is that they walk away without any remorse whatsoever. saddening.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks GrandRk. I guess I would have felt more proud if the lady had survived.
That moron was probably lucky to not recieve bashing from the onlookers. He was not alone. There was a 13-14 years lad with him on the co-passenger seat. Even he made out with just a small gash. My guess that they might be wearing seat belts
With a school nearby, we constantly have kids near around the time on that road.
A couple of minutes here and there he would have killed school children.
Also, its the attitude of his parents that irked me the most. They were defending his actions.

My deepest regret would remain that we could not save her and that moron of the driver would escape punishment and would probably never repent for what he has done.
You are the eyewitness, you should make sure that he doesn't escape the punishment.

Thread Starter #7
The police is yet to record my statement. This is when we ourselves volunteered to be eyewitnesses. Hopefully in days to come they would record my statement and I sincerely wish that person gets what he deserves.

Well even if the police apprehend the driver, being a teenager, he would be tried as Juvenile and may atmost get a punishement like asylum or something like that...

nothin more you can expect. Instead in such cases parent need to be taken to the court.

Thread Starter #9
The driver wasn't a juvenile. He was in his early 20s. I guess he was just trying to show off to his friends when he probably lost control and rammed into the lady. Met the family yesterday and they are still to come in terms with the tragedy. Hoping that justice would prevail soon which could bring the family some closure.

Top Bottom