Windows 7 Troubling with New Hardware?

If you have ample time and software, format your C drive and install the Operating System(OS). But you need to update all the software (mostly security and driver components) once it is installed. You can goto control panel and initiate your software upgrades.

The other option I like to do is doing a disk defragmentation. It may help you. What it does is move all the empty sector to one end and used sector to other end. It may take several minutes to hours depending on file sizes on the drive. It also increases the performance. Just give a try before you sleep.

If you have ample time and software, format your C drive and install the Operating System(OS). But you need to update all the software (mostly security and driver components) once it is installed. You can goto control panel and initiate your software upgrades.

The other option I like to do is doing a disk defragmentation. It may help you. What it does is move all the empty sector to one end and used sector to other end. It may take several minutes to hours depending on file sizes on the drive. It also increases the performance. Just give a try before you sleep.
Ram what if he doesn't have any partitions?

Even my Vaio,didn't had any partitions, i did it before dumping any files in the drive, through the partition manager.

Hi Mukesh,

For #1, if you have no partition, take all the personal files to either an external hard drive or a CD. Important resource is your operating system disc as well as driver discs if provided additionally. I'm not sure you or Vibhor is using, but the steps to follow for
creating a new partition and formating are given below by Microsoft,

How to partition and format a hard disk by using Windows XP Setup program

For #2. There is no need of partition for disk defragmentation. Just start the process and it takes some time to complete it.

During my college days, I remember formatting 'n' numbers of PC for my friends. My room was filled with hard disks and OS CD.

Do let me know, if you have trouble in any process of formatting or creating a new partition. All I can say is once you start it, you will love it to customise your partition and you will be doing it again for your friends.

Thread Starter #35

350Z

Core Team
maybe too many backup files in the system. clear your system restore points.
Done but still the difference is hardly noticeable.

also i see mssend as unknown program alongwith some path along documents folder
I have removed the suspicious mssend file and the computer doesn’t throws the restart error anymore.

Vibhor, the CC cleaner may be the culprit here.
I uninstalled CCleaner last night but again there was no difference. So I installed it again today to clean up unnecessary files even though it makes a difference of only a couple of MBs.

First uninstall that and use Auslogics Boost Speed.
Done and tried all the possible options with Auslogics. Rest of them are accessible only with the paid version.

Ram what if he doesn't have any partitions?
Thanks. My PC has the partitions. I’m not too keen to format the entire drive. Keeping this as a last option for now.

I have done all the possible solutions to increase diskspace (Even deleted a few programs). Why the space all of sudden reduced is still a surprise for me. Infact it keeps going up and down by a few MBs on the C Drive. Upon manually calculating the contents of C Drive, I should be having at least 25 GB Free Space as opposed to 4.5 GBs that I have now.

If you are able to login to your computer & connect to the internet just install the software named who crashed & click analyze this will give the exact driver or file that is causing this BSOD & you will have a link provided to fix it as well , here is the link for the who crashed s/w ,
Thanks. I’m not able to run this program. It’s throwing an error “whocrashedsetup.exe is not a valid Win32 application”.

Drive Safe,
350Z

@350Z usually the major chunk of disk space is consumed by Pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys is the system cache that is stored for faster loading of programs on your machine & hiberfil.sys is used for Hibernation, if you look at these both files they would be consuming approx. 8 to 10GB together (could be even more). Additionally if you have photoshop as well & you use RAW files to edit pictures, the photoshop cache might be another one that would be occupying the space. If you would like we can do screen share through team viewer & I could have a look at what exactly is consuming the disk space.

Apart from this I see a lot of startup items as well in your list, I suggest you uncheck some of the ones like those of Adobe that don't need to run during startup. If you are still facing BSOD from your description about the mouse causing it, I would say upgrading the USB drivers would be a good option & I think you have a USB mouse.

Thread Starter #37

350Z

Core Team
@350Z usually the major chunk of disk space is consumed by Pagefile.sys & hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys is the system cache that is stored for faster loading of programs on your machine & hiberfil.sys is used for Hibernation, if you look at these both files they would be consuming approx. 8 to 10GB together (could be even more).
Thanks EnfieldRyder. You’re spot on about those two files consuming a large chunk of diskspace. But I wonder why the space keeps reducing or sometimes even a slight increase automatically? I use hibernation mode often. So I would like to keep that option enabled.

Additionally if you have photoshop as well & you use RAW files to edit pictures, the photoshop cache might be another one that would be occupying the space. If you would like we can do screen share through team viewer & I could have a look at what exactly is consuming the disk space.
I do have Photoshop Version 6. How can I clean its cache?

Apart from this I see a lot of startup items as well in your list, I suggest you uncheck some of the ones like those of Adobe that don't need to run during startup. If you are still facing BSOD from your description about the mouse causing it, I would say upgrading the USB drivers would be a good option & I think you have a USB mouse.
Yup. Unchecked those options sometime ago. The BSOD issue is not happening anymore from a while. But I never know when it crops up all of sudden again.

Drive safe,
350Z

I forgot how to post like you did but anyway, I don't have any explanation for the increase or decrease, however from the basic description of pagefile.sys it is usually setup as the amount of RAM you have on your machine, Example: if you have 2GB of RAM then the size of the pagefile will be 2GB, if your system runs out of RAM space then it will use the Pagefile.sys to store & swaps read/writes & other things. As for Hibernation it stores all the open applications while hibernating as a kind of image & the next time when you boot your machine it simply loads the stored image for you to start working.

For the Photoshop cache try to look under <Username> -> App Data -> Local -> Adobe -> Camera Raw -> Cache do not delete the files, just take backup/move to some external drive. In case you don't find it open the WinDirStat & look for .dat files on the right that shows all extensions, all the .dat combined might be consuming 1GB or more. It will only highlight the memory blocks where the .dat files are located & check accordingly.

In case you don't reboot your machine quite often & just hibernate I suggest that you reboot your machine once a week so that whatever stale data that might be stored in RAM will get flushed. I forgot to add defrag your machine once a month at least

Thread Starter #39

350Z

Core Team
Very strange. I even deleted some files over 24 MB but there is not even a bit of difference; rather the diskspace has further decreased to a few MBs.

Drive Safe,
350Z

That would be the system restore at work. You need to clear them from disk tools. And you would notice the difference only upon the next restart.

Dear 350Z

Kindly let me know what is exactly the issue you are facing.

i system drive is Taking too much of unexpected space . but truly are you facing an issue b'coz of the same . as much as i can see Your BSOD issue is resolved .

Regards
Jatin

If you think the disk swap space is causing the reduction in the free file size. You can disable that to crosscheck.
Other than that if you use torrents or download managers and are currently downloading a Big file the temporary files will be stored on your c drive.
Do consider that too.

Regarding BSOD i think its long rectified. So No worries.
Use ccleaner to clear your temp files, chrome history and you could have some spare space.

Thread Starter #43

350Z

Core Team
i system drive is Taking too much of unexpected space . but truly are you facing an issue b'coz of the same . as much as i can see Your BSOD issue is resolved .
Regarding BSOD i think its long rectified. So No worries. Use ccleaner to clear your temp files, chrome history and you could have some spare space.
Thanks. BSOD issue seems to have resolved. Anyways Windows 7 never fails to surprise me. This morning when I started up the laptop, I found that the available disk space has shot up to 13.5 GB all of sudden as opposed to 4.5 GB earlier. Still, ideally it should have around 24 GB Free.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #44

350Z

Core Team
A screenshot of the error in question. I did restart the computer again but it didn't help.
As I said earlier – Windows 7 never fails to surprise me. This “Restart Again” error has cropped up again.

Drive Safe,
350Z

As I said earlier – Windows 7 never fails to surprise me. This “Restart Again” error has cropped up again.

Drive Safe,
350Z

would suggest you to format your OS now since many junk registry entries might be giving those issues. other than that try cleaning you ram. sometime static charges on the ram sticks can cause random restart errors.

Top Bottom