Why Xylo Was Outsold By the Innova?

Thread Starter #1
Today I got a chance to drive the UV for about 70 kms and just half hour later I left the UV,after I drove it I found it a great people mover(already mentioned by me in one thread).From the same time i am in a confusion that why such a brilliant machine is not selling?
I mean,Mahindra is not Fiat or any other niche brand in India,in fact its a well established brand in India which has made some really great vehicles which even today set the benchmark in their segments,but still the Xylo was outsold by a 2 lacs more costing,somewhat dated looking and not-so-tough looking Japanese car(note:I haven't said UV)!!

The Xylo is more powerful,has better acceleration,more top speed,spacious cabin with some truly comfy seats(I find them even more comfy than the Scorpio).The third row of seats of Xylo is also good and can easily accomodate three adults in a good comfort.

We can see that:
XYLO:-
Price:10.47 lacs on-road Delhi(For E-8 ABS variant)
2498 cc,in line 4 cyl CRDe(M-eagle)
112 BHP with 24 kgm torque
Top whack of 170 as attained by me and an acceleration which is better than Innova because I felt so.
FE:-Equal to Innova
Maintainance:Light,no high maintainance till now(the UV has done 24k kms).
Handling and interior quality(ignore the high-quality leather seat covers)and interior fit and finish still far behind Innova but handling is no big deal on straight highways,only hilly roads may be somewhat painful,but still its not bad and easily bearable.

INNOVA:-
Price:14.09 lacs on-road Delhi(V variant fully loaded with ABS and airbags too)
2494 cc in-lin 4 cyl common rail diesel.
102 BHP with 20.36 kgm torque.
Top whack of 160 as attained by me till today.Accelerates quite slowly as compared to Xylo.
FE:About 11 in City and 14 on highways,sometimes even 15-16 kpl if driven cleanly.
Handling and interior fit and finish are simply outstanding in the segment.
Maintainance:Really very low.

Now you can see the price and power difference between the two,still the XYLO is outsold!!Only question why?

For me the answer lies here:
1)The nose of Xylo.
2)Typical sloppy look(side profile).
3)Some people are scared of high stance and think it has habit of overturning,which is not at all there.
4)Absence of the magical 'T' badge,which I find the greatest reason for it being outsold by Innova.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
Now here is a brief comparison of both the people movers,please correct me for any wrong points and share your experiences too at the full.

Firstly lets compare both the UVs in terms of design(exterior,interior etc etc).

Front:-
jDA0d.jpg

As we can see in the above image,the following points strike me:-
Innova:
1)Looks sleeker and truly looks like a winner.
2)Looks less on toughness as compared to Xylo.
3)Has a lower stance which can easily be noticed.
4)Style statement is still above the Xylo,and headlights,grille and foglamps feel to be perfectly placed.

Xylo:
1)There is an aggression in the look,but its hidden somewhere.
2)What message does that odd looking nose want to convey?
3)The raised stance really looks good.
4)Looks quite basic and always you see its front you feel that something is missing.
5)Look at those wide tyres and you will understand the intentions of the UV,it looks meaner and really has a mean glare too.

Side profile:-
9LdEl.jpg

Innova:
1)The sleeker look simply starts from front and goes on till back.
2)There are some small curves which fades slowly(wheel arches) on the body.
3)Those alloys really suits the personality of the car but if they would have been looking somewhat more heavier then we'd have liked it even more.
4)Note that sloping roof towards the rear,it can give you th impression of a grown up hatchback.
5)Don't you miss a foot-step on the sides or side skirts would look better there.

Xylo:
1)Its looks have the aggression increasing as you go towards the rear.Just have a look at it,it have no cuts and curves,only a butch look.
2)Right from the ORVMs,you will find that everything suits the car at its best.
3)Look at those alloys,they are really great(the above pic has steel rims,so you need an another pic to look at those alloys).
4)The roof rails are looking great and add too much to the look of the UV.
5)No rear sloping roof,hence quite good headroom even on the last row.
6)But front looks a bit too much sloppy.

Rear:-
3t04q.jpg

Innova:
1)The new tail lights and new rear bumper has enhanced the appeal.
2)As already mentioned,the smartness prevails in the styling,but if you compare it with the Xylo's rear then you will feel something missing.Actually it missed the high stance of a UV.
3)The Innova looks more wider than it is due to this lower stance.
4)If you see from back,you will find that tyres must have been wider too.
5)If the rear wiper would have been mounted on the rear glass(like ni Xylo) then it would have looked better.

Xylo:
1)I really feel its rear as looking a bit cumbersome.
2)the high stance is okay,but it makes the UV look less wider than it is.
3)The tail lamps are great and thoughtfully designed with indicators on the top,as a result its easy for high seated bus and truck drivers to see them.
4)The Mahindra logo looks quite good and the mid placing of the rear wiper enhances the appeal.
5)the rear bumper with steps to enter inside looks really butch and the added illuminators add to practicality.

Exteriors have been discussed and I feel that the Xylo is sporting quite a butch and tougher look as compared to the Innova while the Innova has a more sleeker look and has smaller panel gaps too.Still I feel that Innova looks better at the exterior.

Thread Starter #3
Now lets turn up to the interiors.
When you step inside,the first thing you will notice is the difference between the environment of both the UVs.Where Innova has a plainer and sleeker look same as its exteriors.But still it has the feelings of a silen/hidden warrior,in other words it is like a Ninja who hides all his weapons but takes them out when needed for attack..
While if you see the Xylo then you will feel that the aggression in design has been followed inside too,you will feel an open cabin with roof as high as sky and big A/C vents,in other words Xylo looks like a knight who displays all his weapons.

Dashboard and front:
7sDGc.jpg

Innova:
1)The dashboard design seems to be more user friendly as compared to Xylo.
2)The wood panels on the dash enhances the appeal of the cabin but at the same time looks quite cheap too.
3)The plastic quality and fit and finish of the cabin is still head and shoulders above the Xylo.
4)The beige color dash with upper black looks quite good and makes a luxurious cabin.
5)The high rising gear lever looks quite odd and out of place.
6)We would have liked if the central console would have flown down a bit more.
7)Buttons onsteering are a good and useful option,hoping Xylo too gets it soon.

Xylo:
1)The grey and white combo may not look good to many but still it has an appeal in itself.
2)The central console looks quite good but dunno why looks dated too at the same time.
3)The ORVMs are large and quite useful.
4)The gear lever looks good as compared to Innova but isn't as good to use as of Innova,but you pay 2.5 lacs premium for Innova too.
5)Shut the doors and you hear a satisfying thud,which is missing in Innova.The Innova has a tinny feel comparatively.
6)Toughly built feeling but quality could have been better.

Cabin and seating:-
ufMPN.jpg

Innova:
1)The first two rows are really great but what to do ith the third row?
2)A/C vents at rear are quite good at cooling th cabin whatever the outer temperature may be.
3)Seats feel to be more supportive and the bach angle and hip-point is simply perfectly designed,hence you get a true comfort on the seats.
4)No leather seats will disappoint many.
5)Third row could have been better if there would have been somewhat higher backrests on the seats.
6)NVH levels are fantastic but ride could be still better,its where Xylo is ahead.

Xylo:
1)First to mention,a spacious and comfy third row.Even the third row passengers too get a center arm rest and side arm rests.
2)No passengers(any row) feel robbed of legroom.
3)Seats may not be as well designed as of Innova but still they have better cushioning and are bigger leading to a better thigh support.
4)The sleeping bed style is okay but isn't as good as it looks in pictures,its quite uncomfortable for a bed.
5)A/C works brilliantly and there is plenty of storage space on the front.
6)Leather seats are really high quality(those have Mahindra trademark too) andhave a quite upmarket feel too.
7)Ride quality and NVH levels feels better than Innova.

At last I'd like to state my views on the sweet high-revving M-eagle engine.It is a simply great engine which revvs up to 5500 rpm completely stress free.Only the gearbox and handling eclipses this brilliant engine.

Hoping to read more from my friends....WAITING FOR YOUR REPLIES.

But the Innova is more refined when compared to Xylo,I think.Its comfort levels are also much better than the Xylo.I'm sorry if I'm wrong.

Thread Starter #5
@Arjun:
You are right that Innova is more refined,but not by that much margin.
What about the 3 lacs premium you pay and get a nearly equal product.

That is a pretty nice comparison but do you really think they both can be compared? I would compare Xylo to Sumo Grande and Tavera only. Innova is a segment above Xylo IMO. But i agree both serve the same purpose.

Now coming to the topic , Xylo main reason for low sale i see is not so appealing looks and Mahindra's A.S.S though good is not like Toyota. And Innova main reason i see still doing well inspite of dated look is Toyota's unmatched reliability and good comfortable seats.

Indeed that is one nicely written comparo review! You have captured all details categorically. Are you doing these reviews professionally?[:)]

Innova has been around longer than Xylo and one reason for Innova's success is Toyota's brand equity. Indians know Toyota as symbol of quality and peace of mind. M&M is still a very crude brand in some people'e eyes. Also Dhaya has pointed out they also belong to different segment. Innova is more in league of Scorpio, Safari, Aria. Xylo was supposedly targeted at a mid segment.

I will give you another example of toyota's brand name. Mahindra has launched a very good VFM C-seg car, Verito, but it can never take on toyota's Etios, although Verito might be cheaper and more car per car.

Thread Starter #8
@Cooldhaya and Thetraveller:
Firstly,thanks for your response.
Secondly:In my views,Toyota's brand value is currently in India is the strongest one,people even wait for the Maruti cars to be tested but for Toyota cars,they simply come and buy it even before a test report of the car comes.

Xylo,being a brilliant machine is outsold only because of mainly its nose in my views.

This thread is not to highlight anything,but is to share our views and try to get some hidden facts exposed,EVEN MORE EAGERLY WAITING FOR THE VIEWS OF OTHER MEMBERS..

i dont feel much justification in comparing xylo with inova.
xylo should be compared to sumo grande or victa . if i am not wrong
and i am sure xylo is doing much better than sumo.

manufacturers might have quoted it as rivals, but as i still feel...

innova is much smaller and station wagon like good for day to day use.

xylo is more solid and sturdy than toyota something similar to scorpio. so it wont be as zippy and urban type .(maybe it is good physicaly)

worst part is interior fit and finish.
one brand new xylo i have seen personally had dash board and door panels made of recycled plastics from the broken toys of kumbh mela.
where as toyota innova interiors even though looked blunt but felt better .

Thread Starter #10
Off -Topic:offtopic:

@Jayadev:
Your post count is showing 1018 posts but still I think you need to go through the rules and regulations for posting on the Forum.I know I am none to say that,but what to do with starting letters of the sentences,they aren't block yet..[rules]

I am very sorry. I will take care of it hence forth.

Please bear me I am not good at English , though i speak fluently my writing part and grammar is still a mess. -honestly.

My view

Xylo is competitor to innova.
Just for the brand image , toyota enjoys high sales.
Plus friendly and flexible yet cunning staff at toyota.

Just as the bolero , the staff of mahindra are rough and tough.

Mahindra is a good company that offers good car for almost many year , yet with a collaboration with some one.

yet there is less review on xylo's crossing more than 2L kms .
but i myself have seen 2L plus crossed innova's cruising happily.

i consider , the brand image for low sale of xylo.
plus many of them complained about brake problem in xylo and it overturned their car at high speed cornering / braking etc.

innova is tried and tested car worldwide.
xylo is on the phase of correcting the smaller niggles. - may be alright now!

my choice , xylo.
1. I love mahindra vehicles. perfect for us.
2.cheaper than innova.
3.cheaper , with same comfort level of innova.
4.I am a man who like aggressiveness.
5.i compare xylo to a man , while innova's look to a woman.
6.xylo's ground clearance is added advantage.
7.if at all a xylo 4x4 comes , will it be a competitor to aria?
hmmm 4x2 aria is a competitor now.

Both tata and mahindra have good ASS coverage with spares being cheaper than toyota.

both the car have terrific engines .

Innova is quite popular among Travels business people and they want a mostly reliable vehicle. As they have very high running they prefer vehicle which will last long.Toyota is famous for long term reliability so many takers from traveler business.
:agree: with TSIVipul on most of the points. The xylo looks are quite weared which is quite a deal breaker.

The handling and styling of Xylo is the main problem,I think.And the Service centers of Toyota is also far more better when compared to M&M.

Top Bottom