Why Xylo Was Outsold By the Innova?

Haha,Iron Rock you copied my point.Now you will have to go through my copyrights trail.[evil]
Still,its the fact that it was the Qualis which gave Toyota such a goodwill that many people buy their cars saying "If its a Toyota then its good".
Point noted kind sir, and have without any further subjudice amended my post to include credits for you!

+100 Innova was not able to garner the sales in between but slowly Qualis owners were seen exchanging their car with Innova or suggesting people to buy a Toyota. Even, we bought Innova because my dad's friend was very happy with Qualis and after seeing the car my dad loved its interior and exterior. Looked really upmarket at that price.
Well slightly OT but i think qualis was launched in 2000 and we had bought the sumo then for farm use around same time. Initially my reactions to qualis was very negative such a dated model thrown in the indian market with puny tyres and a boxy body. But really it worked wonders for toyota and got me thinking about how they thought about such a strategy for their india debut!

They culled it when it was doing well and brought on the innova, which has really set a benchmark for taxi segment for three rows of comfort and reliability!

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna have to agree to Vipul here on this. I mean, whenever we go on a vacation we make it a point that an Innova is there with us for the entire trip. It's just peace of mind, nothing else. Everyone knows it's not got the fastest engines in the MUV space but what it guarantees is, peace of mind, no matter what the terrain. Apart from a tyre puncture theres really nothing much that can go wrong with it. And a surprising point is that wherever I have taken Innova, be it North, South or Eas India the vehicles were always well maintained & that is because they ae very well built.

My parents recently went to Ooty from Coimbatore & made several day trips to various nearby places in a Xylo, where roads were quite bad. They had a very high regard for the vehicle. On the way to Mukurti forest the roads werealmost non existent in certan stretches & even Xylo's underbelly was scraping the ground! Yet they felt quite comfortable in it. This goes to show how far Mahindra's progressed in the suv/muv space. But between the two its still the Innova wich rules if one ignores the price factor.

Thread Starter #78
Point noted kind sir, and have without any further subjudice amended my post to include credits for you!
Ah,it looks like someone has just now shot me on my head...[frustration][lol],amazingly,both frustration and laughing at the same time!!

I think I'm gonna have to agree to Vipul here on this. I mean, whenever we go on a vacation we make it a point that an Innova is there with us for the entire trip. It's just peace of mind, nothing else. Everyone knows it's not got the fastest engines in the MUV space but what it guarantees is, peace of mind, no matter what the terrain. Apart from a tyre puncture theres really nothing much that can go wrong with it. And a surprising point is that wherever I have taken Innova, be it North, South or Eas India the vehicles were always well maintained & that is because they ae very well built.

My parents recently went to Ooty from Coimbatore & made several day trips to various nearby places in a Xylo, where roads were quite bad. They had a very high regard for the vehicle. On the way to Mukurti forest the roads werealmost non existent in certan stretches & even Xylo's underbelly was scraping the ground! Yet they felt quite comfortable in it. This goes to show how far Mahindra's progressed in the suv/muv space. But between the two its still the Innova wich rules if one ignores the price factor.
Actually Xylois really comfortable,but issue is with the ride and overall quality.Sitting on the driver's seat of Xylo has some odd feeling.Neither it feels like a car nor it feels like a UV but in Innova there is something which makes you feel comfortable.

Rest:There is more in a car than just power and price.(Thanks a lot Raj for this line!!):biggrin:

For me xylo offers best value for money. It's the MUV of the year(every year). What you pay is what you get. I am a proud owner and lover of xylo. [:D][:D]

latest news announced by Mahindra today is that xylo has crossed 1 lakh vehicles and has beaten innova to become heighest selling muv in India.I think this will put to rest any arguments that xylo is not selling

Thread Starter #82
^^Buddy just have a look at the announcement made once again.
Innova is already doing about double the numbers the Xylo do.

It may be the weirdest announcement ever made till date.But yes,expect Toyota to keep silent on this because they need not to speak.The Innova has already shut the mouths of all,even the most hyped SUV too.

I think new Xylo has definitely more swagger when compared to the old one.But why didn't Mahindra improve those ungraceful looking headlamps when they have completely modified the hood is beyond me.It doesn't matter what anyone says The Xover believes that one of the pivital reasons the Xylo lost to Innova was its ugly looks and alas! that problem still persists in some degree whether you accept it or not.

Mahindra xylo has unique and eye catching looks very sleek design outer appearance of the car is amazing as compared to Innova.Mahindra Xylo Engine Specification is also good in comparison to Toyota Innova.

Like Qualis laid the foundation for Innova, I believe XUV will spear head the growth of new Xylo.

Lots of family people who were earlier, apprehensive of Mahindra, now are booking Xylos and Veritos. I can see lots of them at least in various parts of Tamilnadu.

Scorpio's and Bolero's stories are different though. They were/are always in good demand [glasses]

The fit and finish is fantastic in the new Xylo and the drive is also improved with EBD, ESP and a reduced height/GC of 5 mm (that's what the dealer folks told me, don't know how far correct).

M&M's marketing and advertisements are also good and eye-catching. They just need the word of mouth publicity.

Customer satisfaction during Service is also important. This is where Toyota scores over Mahindra.

I have had the frustrating experience of repeatedly visiting the service centre for jobs not completed to my satisfaction for my Scorpio [frustration]

P.S: I don't hate/dislike Innova, but would prefer Xylo over Innova at any time

M&M's customer service in Mumbai is much much better than Toyota's, as experienced by a friend of mine recently.

Alas, I cannot divulge much details about it.

Thread Starter #88
Well,I think its the strong brand image of Toyota and good product image of Innova which makes it sell far far higher than Xylo.Also the boat-like handling of Xylo at higher speeds is an another drawback.

The boat like handling is a thing of past with the retuned suspension.
Though wont say it is completely eliminated but it not scary now as it is made to look.

Top Bottom