Why Xylo Was Outsold By the Innova?

This is the only point where Xylo wins over Innova,else if you consider the 'vehicle',then except the straight line performance Xylo has nothing else whic can make it win over Innova.
True. But pricing is one important factor which makes or breaks a vehicle.

Are you sure you have driven both mHawk and mEagle?
Driven mHawk in Scorpio & mEagle in Xylo. Never driven mHawk in Xylo but it is reported to be more responsive than Scorpio as Xylo comes with a better gearbox & is lighter too.

Not only engine does the job,its the gearbox too,and when D-4D is combined with its gearbox,then its far easier to live with in city as compared to the Hawk or eagle(rest you own both and have more experience than me,so you can correct me if I am wrong).
There is nothing to correct you on this buddy. Its all about preferences.

I enjoy driving the mHawk more than the D-4D.

And any pickup truck having 7 comfortable seats,a slightly less stiffened suspension is a comfy SUV and then its an SUV,not a pickup truck.
Thank you!

Raj buddy,either except it or not,but you have turned up into a mHawk fanboy.
Oh, I love the mHawk.

Either you haven't driven any engine better than it or you don't just accept it that there are many engines better than mHawk.
I'd advise you to taste:-
Ford 2.5/3.0 TDCi,Hyundai Skoda/VW 2.0 TDI etc and then you will understand what is the 'responsiveness' throughout the rev range.
I have never claimed that mHawk is the best engine. All I said was, it is better than the D-4D.

By the way, I do feel that Ford's 2.5 TDCi is not that good.

+1. mHawk is good engine by M & M standards, but there are plenty of better engines than this in the market.
Now will you compare the mHawk with CDi of Benz?

Better engines in the market means? Here we are comparing the Innova & Xylo, so lets compare mEagle, mHawk & D-4D please.

Now here is the Q -

Need to buy base/entry model. Innova or Xylo ?
[confused]
Base model Xylo - as it comes with power steering, power windows, rear AC vents, central locking, etc... which the Innova does not. Moreover, Innova base comes for 10 Lacs on-road. For that price, you can buy the top end Xylo with mEagle (E8) with optional ABS.

Now will you compare the mHawk with CDi of Benz?
I knew someone will surely bring this !! This Merc CDI is a gem of an engine, no doubt. But as you talk about price range, then it has to be the VW 2.0 TDI.

Better engines in the market means? Here we are comparing the Innova & Xylo, so lets compare mEagle, mHawk & D-4D please.
Yep, but prob was you hardly spoke about meagle.
Between meagle & d4d, your pick ?

Base model Xylo - as it comes with power steering, power windows, rear AC vents, central locking, etc... which the Innova does not. Moreover, Innova base comes for 10 Lacs on-road. For that price, you can buy the top end Xylo with mEagle (E8) with optional ABS.
Fair enough. But say base +1, then equation changes right ?

I knew someone will surely bring this !! This Merc CDI is a gem of an engine, no doubt. But as you talk about price range, then it has to be the VW 2.0 TDI.
The awesome 2.0 TDi is available in Jetta which costs 20 Lacs. So... not fair to be compared in this segment.

Yep, but prob was you hardly spoke about meagle.
Between meagle & d4d, your pick ?
That is because, when we are comparing it with Innova, we can afford the top end Xylo (but of course!) & the top end comes with the mHawk.

Between mEagle & D-4D, that's a difficult choice - the D-4D is more refined & the mEagle is slightly more responsive. Finally I would say its on par, but if at all, I would have to pick one, I would pick the mEagle as it's top end is way superior than the D-4D's, which runs out of breath at 100 kmph.

Fair enough. But say base +1, then equation changes right ?
The price also changes! Innova mid variant is a cool 1.5 Lacs more expensive than the base! And what do you get for that money - Body coloured RVMs, power windows & power steering! Still no rear AC vents, audio system & central locking...

Just because Xylo has a powerful engine and better 3rd row seats, it cannot be compared with Innova. Xylo is still a half-baked product. Innova as a overall package is still better than Xylo.

I would never use a Xylo for a family car, as safety is more important than power. At high speeds Xylo is like a boat, it wallows, this is not something I'd trade for low-speed ride. I've heard 3 instances of Xylo over-turning in TN itself, due to its unusual height and high speed dynamics. There is no boot in Xylo. It just got from ugly looking to okay looking, still Innova looks better. Quality levels in Innova is better than Xylo and will have a longer servicing life.

Xylo appeals to the commercial purpose more, something to replace your Sumo/Tavera with.

Just because Xylo has a powerful engine and better 3rd row seats, it cannot be compared with Innova. Xylo is still a half-baked product. Innova as a overall package is still better than Xylo.

I would never use a Xylo for a family car, as safety is more important than power. At high speeds Xylo is like a boat, it wallows, this is not something I'd trade for low-speed ride. I've heard 3 instances of Xylo over-turning in TN itself, due to its unusual height and high speed dynamics. There is no boot in Xylo. It just got from ugly looking to okay looking, still Innova looks better. Quality levels in Innova is better than Xylo and will have a longer servicing life.

Xylo appeals to the commercial purpose more, something to replace your Sumo/Tavera with.
+1. Innova is way too sophisticated than Xylo.
And when in UV, I don't tend to go above 120 kmph, that is best to sedans.
And as far as comfort is concerned, the 2nd row seats of Innova are way too better than xylos. There still is that bumpiness in xylo in last 2 rows.
Ofcourse, I have not sat in new xylo but the reviews which I have read is suspension is still better of innova.

Thread Starter #67
Where Xylo has got more cushioning on the seats,its the Innova which has got better bolstering and a better back angle on the bench seat.And when they are combined with the suspension/ride of the vehicle.It makes the Innova a far more comfy vehicle than Xylo.
Although Xylo is more comfy,but only till you are on straight highways,else its the Innova who is still jack of all trades.While Xylo is neither jack of all trades nor it was able to become master of one..

I will choose xylo over Innova anyday for these reasons
1 - Looks (Innova looks very outdated and common on road)
2 - High stance and aggresive seating postition

I dont' like car like driving concept of Innova, a big vehicle should feel like a truck/volvo bus and offers the same comfort, xylo does it. I feel like driving an Air bus with xylo.
Also don't agree with xylo toppling @ high speeds, those who say either don't know how to drive a suv/muv or kids who knows only to move cars/video game trucks.
It's rock solid on highways with other trucks nearby you feel equally powerful and a perfect cruiser when driven @ 90-110.

My pick would be Innova.

1) I like Innova's design more (looks upmarket atleast to me)
2) Interiors of Xylo is disappointing though the feature list is more but I want a rich looking interiors so Innova would be my pick.
3) Toyota's service back up and peace of mind ownership.
4) Innova is a decent performer and well people buying MUVs really don't care much about performance. They want people carrier and I think Innova wins here.
5) Acceleration and overall package of Innova is unbeatable. I love it.
6) My old 2006 Innova clocked 2 lakh kms and still its running absolutely fine, not a single issue with the car but I don't expect anything like this from a Mahindra.

lot of debate, some getting really wayward and pointless!
Just one point i want to add to the debate one of the greatest advantage the innova had was the good will generated by Qualis . Ask any qualis owner and he would swear by it, i know people who would be willing to a buy a 1 lakh km + qualis blindly without negotiation. It left a solid foundation for toyota and when toyota pulled out the qualis for the innova it shocked so many - but by then the brand had already left an indelible mark.

Edit: - i grant the above copyright to TSIVIPUL without any further debate and wholeheartedly apologise that my thoughts matched his statement from somewhere[cheers]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #73
Haha,Iron Rock you copied my point.Now you will have to go through my copyrights trail.[evil]
Still,its the fact that it was the Qualis which gave Toyota such a goodwill that many people buy their cars saying "If its a Toyota then its good".

lot of debate, some getting really wayward and pointless!
Just one point i want to add to the debate one of the greatest advantage the innova had was the good will generated by Qualis . Ask any qualis owner and he would swear by it, i know people who would be willing to a buy a 1 lakh km + qualis blindly without negotiation. It left a solid foundation for toyota and when toyota pulled out the qualis for the innova it shocked so many - but by then the brand had already left an indelible mark.
+100 Innova was not able to garner the sales in between but slowly Qualis owners were seen exchanging their car with Innova or suggesting people to buy a Toyota. Even, we bought Innova because my dad's friend was very happy with Qualis and after seeing the car my dad loved its interior and exterior. Looked really upmarket at that price.

Thread Starter #75
Still guys,its not only Qualis fever which Innova sell.Somewhere it was Innova itself as it had enough potential to sell.
9th August 2006 was the day we took the delivery of our Innova 2.5 V for something 11.xx lacs on-road Delhi(those days it was about 10.9 lacs ex-showroom Delhi)and the car had all and everything to please us and at the price it was simply a perfect choice.
After this car in 2007 we bought a Scorpio slx and sold it off soon and then came a Safari EX 4X4 which was also sold soon.But Innova remained our favorite.Why?Because it had something that was missing in others.What was that thing?That thing was 'overall product quality and overall comfort'.

Top Bottom