Why Xylo Was Outsold By the Innova?

i agree with TSiVipul. The vibrations in the gearlever are there since day one in Xylo too but its only when the car is started. After that its ok. THough i dont have the mEagle engine but the other one, i would say the car is quite fuel efficient. I think its the McRDi engine or something. SA told we would get 12 but we got like 13-14 kmp/l. Another point that this engine is not the most powerful. After 90ish, pickup feels restrained.

Also as Vipul mentioned, the seats are fab and all rows have superb legroom. and ride quality is just mind blowing. Plus I have got the captain seat option which enhances comfort even more.

Looks i also feel Innova is ahead but to me personally, after staring at Xylo for a long time, i feel that i have gotten used to it and now i think its quite handsome car though it doesnt have the same sophistication of Innova.

Thread Starter #47
Two months have passed that Xylo has got a new nose,for those people who feel that Xylo's nose was the main reason for it not selling must search for an another reason.Why?Because the Xylo's sales haven't still increased in considerable numbers instead Innova has now touched some new heights in the sales numbers.

Attachments

^^^ I doubt Xylo will sell close to anything what an Innova manages. I feel new Xylo looks better than the new Innova, in flesh. To me, the innova looks very boring and dated. If I was in the lookout for a new MUV, I would pick the Xylo mHawk over a Innova.

But anyways, Toyota Innova will always be a leader of this segment because -

* of it's ride quality
* of its car like handling
* Most importantly, its a Toyota!

Thread Starter #49
^^^ I doubt Xylo will sell close to anything what an Innova manages. I feel new Xylo looks better than the new Innova, in flesh. To me, the innova looks very boring and dated. If I was in the lookout for a new MUV, I would pick the Xylo mHawk over a Innova.

But anyways, Toyota Innova will always be a leader of this segment because -

* of it's ride quality
* of its car like handling
* Most importantly, its a Toyota!
After having owned an Innova once,I'll anyday go for the Innova only.Why?Because I don't need just straight line acceleration,I want a car that can be used on winding roads,a car that has better control than just muscle.

In my views the factors for Innova to be the leader are:-
*Ride quality.
*Car like handling.
*Reliability.
*Comfort(overall)
*Low end torque and hence city driveability.
*Overall product quality.
*Far far better interior and build quality.
*Its a TOYOTA!!

Two months have passed that Xylo has got a new nose,for those people who feel that Xylo's nose was the main reason for it not selling must search for an another reason.Why?Because the Xylo's sales haven't still increased in considerable numbers instead Innova has now touched some new heights in the sales numbers.
I used to hate xylo a lot in its initial avatar I always felt mahindra in the middle of designing the vehicle got bored and just got it in the market . But the new xylo looks really good .the ride quality is so pleasurable in innova that the xylo just can't match it the Innova outsells the xylo for many good reason and will always do so .

After having owned an Innova once,I'll anyday go for the Innova only.Why?Because I don't need just straight line acceleration,I want a car that can be used on winding roads,a car that has better control than just muscle.

*Ride quality.
*Car like handling.
*Reliability.
*Comfort(overall)
*Its a TOYOTA!!
+100 have you test driven the aria?

Last edited by a moderator:

*Ride quality.
*Car like handling.
*Reliability.
*Comfort(overall)
*Its a TOYOTA!!
+1. And even the NVH is less in Innova compared to Xylo (atleast the older one). And the new Innova face is more like family station wagon than typical cabs. I think they should have older innova for cab & newer face for private use.

*Ride quality.
*Car like handling.
*Reliability.
*Comfort(overall)
*Its a TOYOTA!!
All the mentioned points comes at a price and what you call as a premium.So if utility and lots of features is more of a concern Then Xylo holds good.

Come on give it some more time, you can't expect a newly launched cars with bigger budgets to sell like hot cakes(Except XUV of-course)

Do you know? Innova when it was launched for the first time in India was a FLOP, reason being Qualis was roaring at that times and also a reason where our K'taka Govt. Did not approve that car for Yellow Board.

Why?Because I don't need just straight line acceleration,I want a car that can be used on winding roads,a car that has better control than just muscle.
Try driving it once know. Who knows you may like the power it has got.

If I need to attack the ghats, I have my Punto. The Innova cannot match Punto's handling. Secondly, when I am buying an SUV or MUV, I wont even try any sort of hard cornering in it. So, in that case, why I would pick a Xylo over an Innova is because -

* Xylo has my favourite mHawk engine
* New Xylo looks nice, especially in red & black
* Xylo has much more features
* Xylo is cheaper by 3 Lacs
* mHawk is more refined than D-4D

That said, I agree that Innova is a far better handler & the ride is also comfy. But when driving a MUV, handling is my last priority.

*Ride quality.
*Car like handling.
*Reliability.
*Comfort(overall)
*Its a TOYOTA!!
Everything agreed except low end torque. mHawk pulls much better from lower RPMs.

Thread Starter #54
If I need to attack the ghats, I have my Punto. The Innova cannot match Punto's handling. Secondly, when I am buying an SUV or MUV, I wont even try any sort of hard cornering in it. So, in that case, why I would pick a Xylo over an Innova is because -
Now what is Punto doing here?Going by your way,the people who love driving in hills must not buy an SUV or MUV,why?Because for cornering they need a car that negotiates corners well.Right?

Take it this way:You drive a Punto and love driving it.Okay,I drive a TSI and I love driving it even more(bad luck:now a days I have to live with D-4D).But but but..
If by any chance we both have to go on a hilly road(seriously hilly not those ghats) in Himanchal pradesh or Uttarakhand etc then you will start in your Xylo and I in my Innova and after 200 kms you will be found in a pity state and I'll be seen enjoying.
I have driven Xylo once on a hilly road and I think that was the worst day in my driving history.IN OTHER WORDS,WHY TO GO 'HARD' WHEN WE CAN HAVE JUST 'CORNERING' FOR SUVs?LEAVE THE WORK OF SEDANS ON THE SEDANS ONLY.

* Xylo has my favourite mHawk engine
This can help selling only one Xylo(if you buy one-by mistake),else Xylo is still far far behind Innova.Also the M-Hawk can't help Xylo handle well,only now its quite lesser nose heavy,none else.

* New Xylo looks nice, especially in red & black
Really?Different people,different opinions.Definitely new Xylo looks far better than the outgoing one,but nice....

* Xylo has much more features
Name them..

* Xylo is cheaper by 3 Lacs
You are definitely right.This makes Xylo tremendous VFM,but the overall product quality,ride and handling etc of Xylo make it look like its built to a price.
Also Xylo has to be cheaper,else if its priced at par with Innova then not even a single will sell.

* mHawk is more refined than D-4D
Still it isn't helping,so what is the use of this refinement?
Still I Love the performance and the top end zest of the M-Eagle,M-Hawk can't really match it.

That said, I agree that Innova is a far better handler & the ride is also comfy. But when driving a MUV, handling is my last priority.
Different people,different prospects.You own a Scorpio(and love it,in fact love driving it),it itself proves your above statement.Go on a highway and speed it up and really Scorpio is the 'BEST' handler..[lol]
For me,whatever the car may be,it must handle well,it may not have hard cornering capabilities but still it must have 'CONFIDENT' handling.This is the same point where I left XUV and went for Aria.

Everything agreed except low end torque. mHawk pulls much better from lower RPMs.
Lower RPMs means?As much I remember,under 1800 rpm,the D-4D is still better than mHawk(My personal experience with D-4D and MHawk).Oh so you meant lower-mid range or say 1800 rpm and above.Right?

All the mentioned points comes at a price and what you call as a premium.So if utility and lots of features is more of a concern Then Xylo holds good.
As discussed on other thread, some prefer features, some think of entire vehicle in totality. It is here where Innova scores over Xylo. And yes, most of the features of Xylo are ones which doesn't affect much.

Do you know? Innova when it was launched for the first time in India was a FLOP, reason being Qualis was roaring at that times and also a reason where our K'taka Govt. Did not approve that car for Yellow Board.
Agreed but partially. The major reason was Qualis was far cheaper than innova & was competing against sumo. On other hand, innova created a new segment itself, where there was no competition at all. And once Innova eastablished its foothold in taxi market, the demand for innova was far more than qualis, the only reason why qualis still ran was due to its cheaper fares. Now innova where it was, while qualis has been replaced by tavera.

If I need to attack the ghats, I have my Punto. The Innova cannot match Punto's handling.
We are talking about comparo between MUV & MUV. Lets not bring punto here, coz this will end up we entering with sedans !!

Xylo has my favourite mHawk engine
OK, but I still like the linear displacement of D4D over sudden acceleration of mhawk.

New Xylo looks nice, especially in red & black
Beauty lies in eyes of beholder. This doesn't make much difference. Xylo has UV look while innova has more family MPV look. It is more like estate or station wagon than typical UV.

Xylo has much more features
Yes, but most can be lived without. See whats happening with tyrotronics in XUV.

Xylo is cheaper by 3 Lacs
Correction - This is between base model xylo (M-eagle) & innova. If you are bringing in the mHawk engine, it is available only in the top end model of xylo which is expensive than innova.

mHawk is more refined than D-4D
I still prefer innova, not to forget the NVH is better in innova than xylo.

Even if you do away with handling (which though is important for me), the passengers are more comfy in innova than xylo. Innova is more car like, while xylo is a UV.

Gear ratios are better for innova when it comes to highway driving & it is only here where we will be taking innova.

Now what is Punto doing here?Going by your way,the people who love driving in hills must not buy an SUV or MUV,why?Because for cornering they need a car that negotiates corners well.Right?

IN OTHER WORDS,WHY TO GO 'HARD' WHEN WE CAN HAVE JUST 'CORNERING' FOR SUVs?LEAVE THE WORK OF SEDANS ON THE SEDANS ONLY.
+1.

Different people,different prospects.You own a Scorpio(and love it,in fact love driving it),it itself proves your above statement.Go on a highway and speed it up and really Scorpio is the 'BEST' handler..[lol]
For me,whatever the car may be,it must handle well,it may not have hard cornering capabilities but still it must have 'CONFIDENT' handling.This is the same point where I left XUV and went for Aria.
Again +1. UVs like scorpio, XUV, xylo never feel planted like that of aria or innova. I would anytime pick either of these 2.

What I meant was, if I am buying a MUV, I wont go cornering in it. I would be doing sane speeds.

No doubts, Innova is a great handler. But even if I am driving an Innova, I wont do high speeds in it.

Name them..
Dont compare top end to top end here. Lets compare a top end Xylo to middle variant Innova to be fair. Xylo will have ABS, Airbags, Cruise Control, Steering mounted controls, Voice controls, tripe row A/C, etc.

Lets not go into the usage of every feature as it depends on person to person. I want my car to be fully loaded.

You are definitely right.This makes Xylo tremendous VFM,but the overall product quality,ride and handling etc of Xylo make it look like its built to a price.
True. But the enormous price difference makes up for it.

Still I Love the performance and the top end zest of the M-Eagle,M-Hawk can't really match it.
I feel mHawk is better than the mEagle throughout the rev band.

I have done a lot of highway trips in the Scorpio. I drive it as sane speeds & have never really been uncomfortable.

I felt XUV had better handling than Aria. Aria had a better ride. Anyways...

Lower RPMs means?As much I remember,under 1800 rpm,the D-4D is still better than mHawk(My personal experience with D-4D and MHawk).Oh so you meant lower-mid range or say 1800 rpm and above.Right?
Across the RPM, I feel the mHawk is more responsive & refined than the D-4D.

We are talking about comparo between MUV & MUV. Lets not bring punto here, coz this will end up we entering with sedans !!
Reason mentioned above.

Xylo has UV look while innova has more family MPV look. It is more like estate or station wagon than typical UV.
How come dude? I every thread, you keep bragging on how Scorpios & Fortuners are not SUVs but pick up trucks.

Then how isnt the Innova a pick up truck now? How come it suddenly becomes a "family MPV"? It is based on the hilux pick up truck right...?

Correction - This is between base model xylo (M-eagle) & innova. If you are bringing in the mHawk engine, it is available only in the top end model of xylo which is expensive than innova.
Dude, I am tired of this. Please atleast do a basic google research before blindly posting things.

On road price in Mumbai -

Xylo E9 (mHawk) - 11.69 Lacs
Innova VX - 15.70 Lacs

Now that is a difference of 4 Lacs
. Please dont tell me you will compare the top end with base variant. Also, please justify how the Xylo is more expensive than the Innova.

I still prefer innova, not to forget the NVH is better in innova than xylo.
If its the Xylo mHawk, then Xylo is more refined.

Even if you do away with handling (which though is important for me), the passengers are more comfy in innova than xylo. Innova is more car like, while xylo is a UV.
True.

Gear ratios are better for innova when it comes to highway driving & it is only here where we will be taking innova.
I feel mHawk is far better in city also.

Dont compare top end to top end here. Lets compare a top end Xylo to middle variant Innova to be fair. Xylo will have ABS, Airbags, Cruise Control, Steering mounted controls, Voice controls, tripe row A/C, etc.

Now that is a difference of 4 Lacs. Please dont tell me you will compare the top end with base variant. Also, please justify how the Xylo is more expensive than the Innova.
Dude, I am tired of this. Please atleast do a basic google research before blindly posting things.

On road price in Mumbai -

Innova VX - 15.70 Lacs
You made 2 contradictory statements in 1 post.
Do engines change in Innova w.r.t. versions ?
I too was saying mid Innova with top xylo.

Lets not go into the usage of every feature as it depends on person to person. I want my car to be fully loaded.
+1. But we focus more on total package than fancy gizmos.

If you compare E9 with innova mid, it is the same.

How come dude? I every thread, you keep bragging on how Scorpios & Fortuners are not SUVs but pick up trucks. Then how isnt the Innova a pick up truck now? How come it suddenly becomes a "family MPV"? It is based on the hilux pick up truck right...?
OK. All 3 are based on Toyotas IMW platform. But the essence in case of Innova changes there itself.
The GC is less, seating position is lower, no 4x4 or even AWD & even T-guys themselves admit it to be a 3 row passenger car.
But in case of Fortuner, it is just copy-paste job on helix.

mhawk, mhawk, mhawk.[frustration]
Are we discussing xylo vs innova or just mhawk vs d4d ? [confused]

You made 2 contradictory statements in 1 post.
Cant you see the context on which I was comparing?

Engines in Innova remain the same irrespective of the variants.

If you compare E9 with innova mid, it is the same.
Sure.

Xylo E9 - 11.69 Lacs
Innova GX (mid variant) - 12.99 Lacs

Difference of 1.3 Lacs. Now what do you have to say?

Inspite of being expensive, Innova has no alloy wheels, no steering mounted controls, no cruise control, no leather seats, no music system, no fog lamps and only one airbag. That is what I meant when I mentioned "features". All this with a 102 bhp engine in the Innova instead of the 120 bhp engine in the Xylo...

Yes, what you do get in the Innova is peace of mind, matured ride & handling, toyota tag & quality interiors.

So it ultimately boils down to what you prefer. My pick is the Xylo E9.

We are discussing the respective engines - hence D-4D v/s mHawk.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #59
What I meant was, if I am buying a MUV, I wont go cornering in it. I would be doing sane speeds.

No doubts, Innova is a great handler. But even if I am driving an Innova, I wont do high speeds in it.
If there is anything called driving comfort,ease of driving and dynamics,then Innova is far far better than the Xylo.Either you catch the ear directly or dt the same by bringing your hand from round behind the head,at last it is the ear which will be caught.Same way whatever way you explain,it is the Innova which comes out as an overall better vehicle of the two.

+100..

This is the only point where Xylo wins over Innova,else if you consider the 'vehicle',then except the straight line performance Xylo has nothing else whic can make it win over Innova.

Are you sure you have driven both mHawk and mEagle?

I felt XUV had better handling than Aria. Aria had a better ride. Anyways...
Different people,different preferences.
City-XUV and
Highway-Aria,for me.

Not only engine does the job,its the gearbox too,and when D-4D is combined with its gearbox,then its far easier to live with in city as compared to the Hawk or eagle(rest you own both and have more experience than me,so you can correct me if I am wrong).

How come dude? I every thread, you keep bragging on how Scorpios & Fortuners are not SUVs but pick up trucks.

Then how isnt the Innova a pick up truck now? How come it suddenly becomes a "family MPV"? It is based on the hilux pick up truck right...?
Every UV which is using a ladder frame is a pick-up truck and same way every pickup truck is an SUV.How?
Simple it is:-
Pickup truck means ruggedness and it comes with ladder frame and hence every UV weather its an Innova or a Range Rover are luxurious pickup trucks underneath.While the ones like XUV are not,because they are not ugged enough due tot he absence of the ladder frame.
And any pickup truck having 7 comfortable seats,a slightly less stiffened suspension is a comfy SUV and then its an SUV,not a pickup truck.

OK. All 3 are based on Toyotas IMW platform. But the essence in case of Innova changes there itself.
The GC is less, seating position is lower, no 4x4 or even AWD & even T-guys themselves admit it to be a 3 row passenger car.
But in case of Fortuner, it is just copy-paste job on helix.
Simple it is,because it is far softer sprung than a pickup truck else its still a pickup truck underneath.
But main question that arises is:-
Even if it is a pickup truck,still if it has got a comfy cabin,comfy seats etc etc,then how it is still a pickup truck?It is like saying that we all humans are monkeys because we are one underneath...[lol]

mhawk, mhawk, mhawk.[frustration]
[/QUOTE]
Raj buddy,either except it or not,but you have turned up into a mHawk fanboy.
Either you haven't driven any engine better than it or you don't just accept it that there are many engines better than mHawk.
I'd advise you to taste:-
Ford 2.5/3.0 TDCi,Hyundai Skoda/VW 2.0 TDI etc and then you will understand what is the 'responsiveness' throughout the rev range.

If the cars are using D-4D and mHawk then definitely its the D-4D vs mHawk too.Definitely its not just D-4D vs mHawk,but its Xylo vs Innova.

Yes, what you do get in the Innova is peace of mind, matured ride & handling, toyota tag & quality interiors.
And a lot more...

But main question that arises is:-
Even if it is a pickup truck,still if it has got a comfy cabin,comfy seats etc etc,then how it is still a pickup truck?It is like saying that we all humans are monkeys because we are one underneath...[lol]
No, it is not pick-up truck. I have already mentioned in other thread that pick-up truck + roof + seats + better suspension = UV.

:offtopic:
But I don't believe in Darwin's theory. Had humans derived from monkeys, why there still are monkeys present ? Even in Ramayana, which is 1000s of yrs old, humans were present & so were monkeys.

Either you haven't driven any engine better than it or you don't just accept it that there are many engines better than mHawk.
+1. mHawk is good engine by M & M standards, but there are plenty of better engines than this in the market.

If the cars are using D-4D and mHawk then definitely its the D-4D vs mHawk too.Definitely its not just D-4D vs mHawk,but its Xylo vs Innova.
To get fair idea, one should compare meagle + mhawk with d4d as not everyone is going to opt for mhawk.

Now here is the Q -

Need to buy base/entry model. Innova or Xylo ?
[confused]

Top Bottom