Why there are no rear wash wipe on Sedans?

I dont agree with you on this cause whenever we drive, inline with viewing the front upcomming traffic we also keep a vigil on our rear following traffic whenever we overtake,suddenly brake in emergencies or any other situations. through our right and left ORVMs and also the cabin RVM(mostly among the 3 VMs).For the view through cabin RVM the rear windshield glass has to be clear of water film(rain or other source) and dirt.
Well, not recognized as a mandatory requirement, which is why it is not a regulatory requirement. [:)]

But in Sedans the water doesn settle in the rear mirrors unlike SUV'S and hatches , doesn affect visibility much!! So a rear wiper is not needed in Sedans!
Yes you are may be right.
-----------Next Post-----------
Well, not recognized as a mandatory requirement, which is why it is not a regulatory requirement. [:)]
For which part you are saying this??

Last edited:
Re: Rear Defogger

Are you sure? I don't think a sedan requires a rear washer and wiper because of its aerodynamic design and style. Dust does not accumulate on the rear mirror unlike an Hatch or SUV/MUV.
Good point Dhaya but my question would be WHY ? If you see a hatchback rear glass is more slanting whereas, in sedan's case less slanting. So how come dust accumulates more in Hatches than Sedans ?

Is there any scientific justification to it or just the esthetics?

OT: This is my 420 post..So I am 420 (Char So Bees) now..hehehe

I am no genius but i will give my explanation , i don't know whether this is correct.

Due to the aerodynamic design of sedans the air flows through the rear mirror till the boot. But in the case of Hatches and SUV/MUV the air will not flow through the rear mirror. And so since since air flows in sedans dust does not accumulate in sedans. I actually noticed this once , i din't dust my car and started driving one day. The rear mirror part just behind the antenna was dusty still all the other areas was completely clean.

I am no genius but i will give my explanation , i don't know whether this is correct.

Due to the aerodynamic design of sedans the air flows through the rear mirror till the boot. But in the case of Hatches and SUV/MUV the air will not flow through the rear mirror. And so since since air flows in sedans dust does not accumulate in sedans. I actually noticed this once , i din't dust my car and started driving one day. The rear mirror part just behind the antenna was dusty still all the other areas was completely clean.
I did not expect an answer from a genius either. But your explanation seems to make sense. [thumbsup]

Re: Aftermarket Rear Defogger

Dhaya , great explanation.
But I didnt want a rear wiper for visibility purpose(obiously because i didnt face any problem). i want it for style :D . and my car already has a rear de fogger.

Jeno

i think skoda octavia & accent viva has rear vipers. i know they are notchbacks, but is there technically any difference between notchbacks & sedans

Guys this thread is actually about rear defogger , we are getting too much into the rear wiper in this thread.

I have the same question. But it depends on what car and what model

Not all hatches have it and not all sedans have not all coupes have it

Nissan Silvia S15 Spec S Doesnt have while a Nissan Silvia S15 SPEC R has it

Having rear wiper will affect the opening of boot door. For Octavia boot open is through hatch instead of boot lid. having wiper on sedan ll result in smaller boot opening space also.

Also it depend on air flow. In hatches the air flow over windshield over roof .. causing fine dust or particle to deposit on the rear windshield, but in case of sedan the air flows to rear windshield also resulting in less dust and particles, hence the wiper is not needed

Top Bottom