Why there are no rear wash wipe on Sedans?

Thread Starter #1
I have a question in my mind. Why i don't see rear wiper/washer on Sedans, where as its available on all Hatches?

I think octy had rear wipers on some model. Dont know whether its still there. I think its because the in the hatches the rear glass gets dirty and much of the dirt accumulates on the hatch door and the glass while in the sedans the boot door get the dirt while the glass remainssomewhat cleaner.

Some cars had this -
- Skoda Octavia
- Accent Viva

And noticed what? they all are notchbacks, maybe there is no space in sedans to fit a wiper, else the reason could be what akash said.

The main reason has to do with the airflow over the vehicle.
In a hatch back, there is a -ve pressure zone at the back of the vehicle, which means that a lot of dust kicked up can accumulate over this area. As such, it becomes a necessity to clean it.
In a sedan, the -ve pressure zone is modified by the more streamlined flow of the air over the back of the car, and there is very little dust accumulated here. In fact, a wiper would only disturb the airflow, and create unwanted eddies.

In Sedans, it is virtually impossible to fit Wiper on the rear glass due to design restrictions.
The Hatchbacks' back door and glass get open together and hence it is easy to fit wiper to the rear glass. In Sedans, only the door gets opened and the glass is fixed. So it is not possble to fit the wiper below the glass.

TAINZ there are lots of views on this issue, but no concrete reason,even I have 2-3 different reasons for this.Only the designing department of any manufacturer can answer this accurately.

And i never felt the nedd of wipers on the rear glass even during the rains since it hardly gets dirty.

Well I dont think we need to put on the wiper during rain for removing dirt on our windscreen or the boot door glass as they themselves get cleaned due to continuous rain and flow of rain water over them, rather we use it to enhance our visibility which get deteriorated due to the thin film of water that develop on them due to continuous rain.

But during dry weather it is needed to remove dirt from the front and rear windshields accompanying it with water spray from windshield washers,I agree.

when you are back from a long drive on wet roads have alook on your rear glass. the dirt from the wheel does get on the glass area unlike the sedans'.

Yes Akash, I agree with you, it is comparatively less in sedan than hatches but almost similar, but the dirt is not from the wheel directly,but the scattered dust done by the rear and even front wheels also.

Last edited:
Well i have been driving Verna for 3 months now and i must say rear wipers are not required in sedans. During rains the rain water doesn accumulate in the rear mirrors unlike SUV or Hatchbacks. And dust also doesn accumulate there and even if it accumulates it goes off after few minutes of driving.

Well i have been driving Verna for 3 months now and i must say rear wipers are not required in sedans. During rains the rain water doesn accumulate in the rear mirrors unlike SUV or Hatchbacks. And dust also doesn accumulate there and even if it accumulates it goes off after few minutes of driving.
Yup, Mirrors were a problem till I got heated mirrors with the Fabia!![clap][clap]

Top Bottom