Why Tata Cars Are Most Preferred in Taxi Market?

Thread Starter #1
I was wondering why Tata cars are so popular amongst taxi drivers in India. The taxis are most run vehicles everywhere.
Its Tata Indica, Indigo Marina (Yes this is replacing Logan very fast, at-least in Bangalore, or Tata Sumo), which are used mostly as Taxis.

We all know the bads of Tata, bad A.S.S, non-reliable vehicles, bad fit-finish etc. etc.. Then what could be the reason for its popularity??

Thats the magic RSM!

There is always difference between commercial & personal segment!

For personal purpose everyone whats the best in class atleast in their budget.

But for commercial, the most important is space, comfort which suits any Indian conditions & also the VFM.

Can you tell me any Maruti, FIAT or even Hyundai can replace Indica, Indigo & Sumo in any way ? No chance.

And I am sure TATA is pioneer in these, so they top the charts always in commercial segments.

reasons for tata being popular in commercial segment:
1) maximum cabin space, boot space & comfort
2) cheapest to buy
3) cheapest to maintain, as in, cost of spares & service
4) good fuel efficiency
5) taxi owners dont care about brand value
6) tata's poor A.S.S dont bother cab owners as they never visit the A.S.S anyways
7) tata vehicles are ideal for rough use due to their rugged nature

I spoke to one of the travel operator in Calicut regarding this and I asked exactly the same question. The answer from him was:

When some one calls for a taxi, the first question they (operator) ask is whether it is non-As or Ac (You have this in TATA cars!). Once that is fixed, then comes, whether its a hatch back, sedan or SUV. Indica, Indigo and Innova are the preferred vehicles in this segment. The price at which you can take an Indica (A/C with PS) is quiet reasonable for a travel operator and the R.O.I will come quickly. Same is the case with Indigo. Even though Innoa is expensive, the FE is good and the maintenance cost is negligible!(This is where Scorpio failed, I think).
In essence, its all about giving VFM service to the customers with MINIMUM investment, on something which can give you faster R.O.I. On the other hand, if the operator is running a Grande Punto Emotion PK, he is putting the amount for 2 Indica DLS on one car!

Last edited:
Rto issues too come in.

Some cars are not given taxi permit.
take case of sumo and bolero.

bolero is not permitted but a sumo is permitted.

You cant get a swift be permitted but a indica easily.

The point is you can get some cars permitted , but need to struggle hard with the rto.

Also tata original spares are avail easily outside. So cheaper to maintain

An eg of timing belt spare.
Original timing belt in tata cover cost 910
same company's timing belt in that company cover cost 750
Also at spare shop , i can get lower than mrp

At the authorised service station you get this at mrp , plus heavy labour charges plus taxes

So tata and maruti scores over these.
And tata score in taxi segment because of its build and space

A low maintenance diesel is what keeps Tata a hot fav. among the taxi wallahs.
But the other diesels are now making inroads into this bastion with good FE figures.

Running cost of tata is low compared to other cars. Also the availibility of spares across the country.

In addition to that tata is opening its service station one in 250 kms. A new plan and is developing so fast

ilango[speed thirst];23174 said:

No such issues in Goa. You will find quite a few Bolero's and Swift's running as taxis.

I go with Raj!! He has mentioned all the points which makes TATA popular in commercial segment!! But here in Chennai Logan's were not even considered for taxi's!! Its TATA ruling here from long back! Indica's are now replacing some of the old sumo's!!

And guys TATA also provide one of the cheapest diesel engines around which gives good FE and also easy to maintain!! Remember TATA vehicles never encounter any problems with their engines only some of the other niggling issues which the taxi operators don bother much!!

Last edited:
Future of Indica NA(Naturally Aspirated) with coming BS-IV Pollution Norms this April 2010?Will Indica pass it? I think A Efficient Turbo-ized Model of Indica will pass through hopefully :D .If not ,TATA Can Iron out the Bugs of 1.4L DICOR CRDI Engine They have to fix in Indica's.

ilango[speed thirst];23174 said:
Rto issues too come in.

take case of sumo and bolero.

The point is you can get some cars permitted , but need to struggle hard with the rto.
thats not true ilango. all cars are given taxi permits & there are no restrictions to that. i have seen many boleros & swifts as taxis.

why should the RTO be bothered which car you are using as a cab?

Thread Starter #14
For personal purpose everyone whats the best in class atleast in their budget.
I am wondering why Taxi drivers doesn't want the best in class at their budget.

reasons for tata being popular in commercial segment:
1) maximum cabin space, boot space & comfort
2) cheapest to buy
3) cheapest to maintain, as in, cost of spares & service
4) good fuel efficiency
5) taxi owners dont care about brand value
6) tata's poor A.S.S dont bother cab owners as they never visit the A.S.S anyways
7) tata vehicles are ideal for rough use due to their rugged nature
I thought Maruti is cheapest to buy, maintain and spare cost. Also i read somewhere Maruti's and Hyundai's are better built than Tata.

ilango[speed thirst];23202 said:
Running cost of tata is low compared to other cars. Also the availibility of spares across the country.

In addition to that tata is opening its service station one in 250 kms. A new plan and is developing so fast
Till now i had the impression that tata cars are toughest to maintain and they don't have reach like Maruti and Hyundai.

Top Bottom