Why Tata Cars Are Most Preferred in Taxi Market?

i have also never seen TD vehicle of Indica. Tata dealers believes that there isnt really any need of a TD as everyone has some experience with this vehicle.
This is also true that Tata cars are sold based on their mileage and interior space they offer.

This situation of TATA cab is vanishing slowly as today all the cars are seen the taxi segment. Whatever Old TATA cab cars sold with TDI engine are running on the roads now and I have not seen a single CR4 car as taxi these days[:)]

Tata cars are more popular and it is certified by Tata motors company. It is reliable and are available at reasonable cost. Even Tata old cars are good and it worth to use for long period of time.

This situation of TATA cab is vanishing slowly as today all the cars are seen the taxi segment. Whatever Old TATA cab cars sold with TDI engine are running on the roads now and I have not seen a single CR4 car as taxi these days[:)]
Because the CR-4 has some engine problems and the TDI engine is much better for cabbies because, by this time, the mechanics would have become a pro working on the engines, even the cab drivers tell TDI is good, less cost, takes more of abuse blah blah.

Tata cars are more popular and it is certified by Tata motors company. It is reliable and are available at reasonable cost. Even Tata old cars are good and it worth to use for long period of time.
Please could you explain what is certified by tata motors company[confused]

i dont expect them to be certified by either maruti or mahindra.[confused][roll]

please explain

Price is also matter I guess., here so many Enjoys, Ertigas Ritz and Swifts base variants running as taxis. Tata costs lesser than any other company in terms of maintenance costs as well.

Experienced taxi owners had already ditched tata engines after the experience with V2 and TDi,Vista with the fiat engine is more on taxi now a days,
The taxi people had realized after V2/TDi that the low initial payment, low EMI and space is not the right option on opting a new taxi car.
An engine which can touch 3L to 5L kms on just a maintenance of oil/filter change,the fiat mutijet engine this has changed the taxi field.
More taxi owners are opting vista on the space they provide,and swift and ritz base model are also coming in the field.
The maintenance on these vehicles when done outside the dealer is as cheap as indica V2/TDi.
This is the same reason the Innova even though more expensive than Sumo is popular on taxi segment.
These cars after 5 years even after they had done these much of Kms still hold a decent re-sale value,
the taxi owners can just walk into any new car show room and exchange these cars without spending a penny more on initial payment.
But i agree that the fresh taxi buyers still buy indica as these cars are branded on the taxi segment.

Last edited:
Indicab model was sold exclusively only for taxis for 2.4lakhs on-road price or something around that price in Bangalore I remember around 2007. Is that not a big reason other than anything else? I dont know how TM manages to do this stuff & be profitable, but its probably economies of scale at work!

Last edited:
Toyota Qualis was the star in taxi field., one of my friend running a taxi Qualis and I wondered after seeing his ODO. Man its crossed 3 Lakhs kilometers and still going strong.

Toyota is the epitome of build quality and durability worldwide. our neighbouring countries are all 2nd hand import market of Toyota vehicles. even 15 years old examples are running with out much maintanence. body and structure holds up much long for original toyota vehicles unlike made in India vehicles like ... which disintegrates or weakens up in 2-3 years of use. Etios and Liva is not a gauge of Toyota quality for sure. it is more of a experiment by Toyota.
We need Toyota Vitz/Yaris here. that is it. JDM quality!
best example is, rust appears in many Indian made cars in 2 years time(Coastal people only knows better) except for old maruti's. in some cars like Indica undercarriage completely gets rusted very soon. in the back side the body shell also gets rust. Toyotas,Nissan,Honda and many others manufacture cars and other vehicles which won't get rust even for a decade or more without the need of any extra paint protection or underbody coating. we need that quality at affordable price.
I imagine vehicle manufacturers discount the need of good build quality for a country like ours. we don't want primitive quality here. but, manufacturers least care.

Last edited:
I am just looking at July & Aug car sales figures on the web & now another question comes to my mind and that is "Why do Maruti cars sell so much in India after so many years & with so much new competition & so many new options". The top 4 have almost always been Maruti? Probably worth a new thread. These cars don't come too cheap either, Swift, Dezire, WaganR all are expensive. Even Alto seems expensive if you see what you get in return for what you pay! I am almost thinking its herd buying behaviour maybe!?

Last edited:
I am just looking at July & Aug car sales figures on the web & now another question comes to my mind and that is "Why do Maruti cars sell so much in India after so many years & with so much new competition & so many new options". The top 4 have almost always been Maruti? Probably worth a new thread. These cars don't come too cheap either, Swift, Dezire, WaganR all are expensive. Even Alto seems expensive if you see what you get in return for what you pay! I am almost thinking its herd buying behaviour maybe!?
Intelligent herd may be[:)]

Even Alto seems expensive if you see what you get in return for what you pay! I am almost thinking its herd buying behaviour maybe!?

Forget herd buying , people do buy alto which has ZERO safety rating .

The Suzuki Alto K10 received a zero-star adult occupant safety rating because of its unstable vehicle structure and the high forces placed on the dummies which pose an unacceptably high risk of death or injury.

Although the vehicle achieved a three-star rating for child occupant safety, this was achieved mainly because the front row of seats absorbed so much of the crash energy.
2013 Suzuki Alto K10 LatinNCAP Frontal Offset (Zero Stars - No Airbags) - YouTube

http://www.latinncap.com/data/pdf/suzuki-alto-en.pdf

Last edited:

Top Bottom