Why Tata Cars Are Most Preferred in Taxi Market?

Toyotas,Nissan,Honda and many others manufacture cars and other vehicles which won't get rust even for a decade or more without the need of any extra paint protection or underbody coating. .
True some tata cars do get rust problems and it has also to do with weather and not so good quality and about Honda and toyota cars not getting rusting problems read this

Honda City ZX GXi - Corrosion in the Bonnet
rajendra_behera79
I purchased my City in 2008 and usage is less as it has done only 10000 kms till date.
to my surprise the bonnet paint has started bubbling and there are signs of spot rust and these are occuring
in the slope area where water cannot stay under any circumstances. When honda was told they simply said its improper cleaning and bad quality of water.
Anyways i belived that honda is known for its quality but after this my views has definitely changed and my next car is definitely is not going to be a Honda.....Thanks Honda Siel for this wonderful experience.
About Toyota

Toyota Recalling 150,000 Tacoma Trucks for Rust Problem - Driver's Seat - WSJ

Toyota Motor Corp. said it will recall certain Tacoma pickup trucks from the 2001 to 2004 model years because their spare-tire mounting systems may rust and break.

In some rusty lift plates could break, allowing the spare tire to fall off the truck and onto the road, increasing the risk of a crash
Toyota Tundra Investigated For Severe Frame Rust Problems | U.S. News Best Cars

If you own a Toyota Tundra, you may want to peek underneath it every now and then. Federal auto safety investigators are reportedly looking into a series of complaints that allege premature frame rust so severe it could lead to brake failure.

The Detroit Free Press reports, "The U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it's looking into 20 complaints on model-year 2000 and 2001 Tundra pickups alleging broken brake lines and spare tires that came loose. The inquiry covers about 218,000 vehicles."

Attachments

Last edited:
I feel this rusting problem is there with every car here and there apart from any manufacturer. May be this is because the production processes being compromised these to be competitive in the market. Eg: Maruti uses very thin sheet when compared to Indica and the reasons might be make it light to get more FE and also reduce the cost of the sheet.

But how does this rusting issue is related to the taxi market [confused]

I feel this rusting problem is there with every car here and there apart from any manufacturer. May be this is because the production processes being compromised these to be competitive in the market. Eg: Maruti uses very thin sheet when compared to Indica and the reasons might be make it light to get more FE and also reduce the cost of the sheet.

But how does this rusting issue is related to the taxi market [confused]
It is related in the sense , taxi guys need a car which they can use for many many Kms and maybe years . If cars start rusting soon how can they use it for business ?

That said in Mumbai now iam seeing etios , liva , sx4 being used more as taxis . It seems tata's taxi market too is getting eroded .

Last edited:
tatas were always the value for money proposition with an added fact that it can be serviced in any local workshop at a much lesser cost than an authorised dealer. This caught the eyes of taxi fleet and individual owners, and hence they banked on TATAs.

Bit over the years cars like renault logan, toyota (qualis/inniva/liva/etios) entered which gave the same or better value for proposition, a higher brand value, cheaper maintainence, and an advanced technology. As India is growing so are the local mechanics and now even they can service these new workhorses.

Also local city taxi started depending on CNG/LPG due to govt push or due to cheapper running cost. Since Tatas didnt come up with that option, marutis (wagon R) and hyundais (santro) ate the market a bit.

But inspite of all these, the image of TAXI stuck with TATAs. And hence individual owners who also now have access to much modern cars at same value proposition are looking away from TATAs. This is evident from there clear ramping down from 3rd largest manufacturer to 5th largest and is still going down. May be Honda will replace it soon in fifth position as well.

Toyota volumes are gaining at the expense of Tata Motors. Toyota Etios is now a preferred option due to its high mileage and brand name. Even though it (Etios) is more expensive (in terms of price), operators are lapping it up and treating it as a luxury taxi," said Amit Bhandari of India Reality Research (IRR) in its report.

Top Bottom