Why People Keep their Cars So Littered and Dirty?

Thread Starter #1
I cannot understand how little care a lot of car-owners have for their vehicles. I've gone in a few friends' vehicles and also seen a few used cars and they are kept in pathetic condition as far as the interior is concerned. Some of them smell badly inside and also littered with old rags and bottles.

Many people don't even bother to wipe the exteriors properly and maintain their car in decent condition. And some leave them in rain and sunshine without proper cover.

Having spent a few lakhs on a car, why would people treat them like dustbins?

Have you come across such instances? As car lovers, what is your reaction on seeing such vehicles?

As far as I'm concerned even the least expensive car deserves respect considering how much initial cost goes into it, thinking of all the families that cannot afford a car or even a bike.

350Z

Core Team
An interesting topic to discuss. I have also come across many pathetically maintained cars but I believe there could be various reasons for their bad state, including:
  • Away from the owner: The one who hasn’t spent hard earned money on purchasing the car generally fails to understand its actual value.

• Always in hands of driver: Some people prefer handing over the responsibility of their cars entirely on chauffeurs. As a result, it causes the bad fate for the car and if the car is some big luxury model, then not much to say because on the roads – the chauffeurs driving these cars consider themselves no less than being their owners itself.
Apart of it, if still the car is in bad condition – there could be more possibilities such as lack of interest from owner’s part, poor financial condition, and perhaps too great financial condition that even if a car is wasted, it doesn’t matters much for them.

Drive Safe,
350Z

well agree with 350z if you look at my esteem and then my other cars who won't believe i own them reason . my esteem remain in the hand of driver all time so its maintenance is pathetic . We try our best but thanks stupid driver making it worse again

Vibhor has already highlighted the key factors. I would like to add another factor to it, Cars owned/driven by girls. I have seen many Honda Citys, i20's and even Civics with rotting running foot, faded paints. I really pity their cars for having being driven by such ruthless creatures[anger].

350Z

Core Team
I really pity their cars for having being driven by such ruthless creatures.
That’s a bit harsh statement. :biggrin: It might be true though. On another note, ladies are ‘considered’ as gentle drivers which is why they also mention lady driven in used car ads, but I’d avoid buying one since most of them are used by freshers. No offence intended, this can also stand equally true in case of males too. This was OT nonetheless.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #6
I think one factor may be pure laziness as far as getting rid of the junk inside the car is concerned. It's much easier to wipe the outside than to clean out the interior. But the irony is that we are the ones who spend more time inside the car when it is being driven!

I like to keep a car as neat as possible and with minimum odours. I use an air-freshener if necessary. I also like to keep the outside of the car clean and well wiped. Just gives a car a definitely more royal look if it gleams cleanly in the sunshine.

I think also the layout of the foot mats and regularly dusting the foot mat is important. In many cars, foot mats get torn and/or folded and a lot of mud gets down to the floor of the car. Frequently dusting is necessary.

Last edited:
actually you guys will all murder me now. my Civic is pretty darn dirty now. Interior is fine. But exterior is dirty. There is one reason to that: rainy season. it just rains any time so I dont want to waste efforts to clean it and that later it will get dirty again.

350Z

Core Team
It all relates to personal hygiene which is still low in India.
Well said.

actually you guys will all murder me now. my Civic is pretty darn dirty now. Interior is fine. But exterior is dirty. There is one reason to that: rainy season. it just rains any time so I dont want to waste efforts to clean it and that later it will get dirty again.
That is an acceptable excuse. Another reason that we see some people's car dirty could be that they have to make frequent trips in some of the baddest locations of country (Or construction sites etc.)

Drive Safe,
350Z

My dads car is washed every morning. However when th car returns back home at night it is usually covered with loads of coal dust, which is why we get it washed daily. On the other hand, my Alto is washed only when i have to go out or it gets dirty due to dust storms or bird dropping. As for the interiors, i am obsessed with fresh interiors. I hate any kind of smell except for the car perfume.
I had a tough time getting rid of smell of mangoes a few days back.

actually my interior is not that clean either. it had 1 or 2 banana peals till yday because of some kids who just eat freely in MY car. My interior is mostly dirty because of other people who sit. They just sit in my car as if its value is nothing. They eat and drop bits, and dont bother to clean up. I cant even think to do such stuff in someone else's car.

Worst experience was when someone had spit paan in the rear left door pocket. when i saw it, i felt like puking instantly. i didnt even dare wash it. i had to send it to wash.

Thread Starter #12
actually my interior is not that clean either. it had 1 or 2 banana peals till yday because of some kids who just eat freely in MY car. My interior is mostly dirty because of other people who sit. They just sit in my car as if its value is nothing. They eat and drop bits, and dont bother to clean up. I cant even think to do such stuff in someone else's car.

Worst experience was when someone had spit paan in the rear left door pocket. when i saw it, i felt like puking instantly. i didnt even dare wash it. i had to send it to wash.
That's really horrible. Spitting paan on your car door pocket as though it is a dust-bin! I would find that fellow and smack him if I were you.

Is your car chauffeur driven? Also ask those guys who do such nuisance to clean up the mess before they get down.

Yuck,i felt like puking after reading your post. I can imagine how terrible you must have felt seeing that spit inside. I remember scolding my uncle fiercely when i saw him spitting pan on my City's alloy. Result is, we still do not talk to each other well[lol].

350Z

Core Team
Whoa. I’d be so annoyed to see even a single drop of paan on the exterior body of my car. So I can understand your frustration when it’s inside it. I’d say, whoever drives the car, ask them to be a little firm when it comes to this stuff. It should hopefully help and this way people will learn not to take somebody’s car for granted.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom