Why Manufacturers Don’t Concentrate on Electric Cars in India?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks

Yesterday i saw the program of Drive it in DW TV,. in there they are test driving the electric cars in German markets maximum of all brand,.

In Indian brand makers like Maruti,Tata, Mahendra, Ford, Cheverlot, VW, Fiat, Renalt, Why they are not making a electric car for Indian Market,. it's any political reason for that or they had to spend more money for approval,..

It's a major problem will comes in future, b'case of fuel prices up,..

Or Any maker are invisible in market ???

Currently the investment that goes into making of Electric cars is huge, M&M which took over the Reva sometime ago is the only producer of Electric cars in India as far as I know & they are currently testing their uplifted model of the car & would launch it sometime soon.

I am not sure if there are political compulsions (maybe there are for sure), I am going to hazard a guess that probably since the Govt. doesn't provide any kind of tax breaks or some concessions the Manufacturers are backing away as well, apart from this like i mentioned there needs a huge investment as well & it seems the parts that go into the car are kind of expensive right now.

I have a question of my own, if say the usage of electric cars increases in our country, doesn't it put additional burden on the already starved Energy sector?? there are lot of areas that don't have electricity & with cars adding to the growing list of things that need electricity to charge & run I guess it'll be sometime before electric cars really start being available at the current price of petrol cars

Re: Why Manufacturers Don’t Concentrate on Electric Cars in India?

In countries like UK, there is no parking charges, no congestion charges in London for electric cars. In EU, many countries have charging points, be it at motel, malls etc.

In India, how can one even complete Pune-Mumbai journey in single charge, let alone round trip ? [confused]

And there are issues of recharging electric cars in case of apartments. Wonder how a guy staying on 15th floor can charge his car in parking level -2 !! [lol]
For this provision has to be made by the builder & for this to happen, local bodies should make it compulsory for builders to give charging points for the same.

And buddy, when Reva costs almost as Wagon-R, who will buy it ? There should be 0 tax on electric vehicles so as to make them worthy to buy. And not to forget the cost of replacement of batteries after 2 yrs which costs a bomb !!

Re: Why Manufacturers Don’t Concentrate on Electric Cars in India?

Hi Folks

Yesterday i saw the program of Drive it in DW TV,. in there they are test driving the electric cars in German markets maximum of all brand,.

In Indian brand makers like Maruti,Tata, Mahendra, Ford, Cheverlot, VW, Fiat, Renalt, Why they are not making a electric car for Indian Market,. it's any political reason for that or they had to spend more money for approval,..

It's a major problem will comes in future, b'case of fuel prices up,..

Or Any maker are invisible in market ???
Simple. There is no market for electric/hybrid vehicles today.

Mahindra had made a Scorpio Hybrid long back. It's prototypes were ready and the car was tested and all set. But obviosuly, they did not launch it as the price was too high and sales would have been very less.

How many Toyota Prius or Reva do you see on our roads?

This technology is relatively new now and hence the pricing is high. Once cheaper solutions arise, I am sure manufacturers will not hesitate to launch electric/hybrid vehicles.

India May Invest Rs.13,000Cr for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles

In a move that might change the whole face of EV industry in India, the Department of Heavy Industries recently requested the Cabinet for approval of an investment of INR 13,000 Crores. This stratospheric amount is required for the 8 year long promotional drive of Electric and Hybrid vehicles in the country. The department will also get in touch with PSU banks to offer financial services for the buyers of EVs.

If the Department manages to get an approval, the EV industry should be seen attracting many private players. A part of the money will also be spent on developing and coming up with R&D centres for such vehicles.

“In next three months, we will send the proposal to the Cabinet for its approval … This investment will help the government to save Rs 27,000 crore on fuel costs”, a senior official at the Department of Heavy Industries said.

Re: India May Invest Rs.13,000Cr for Electric and Hybrid Vehicles

Gopd move.
But they should give some subcidies for hybrid vehicals.
If this get's approved both Hybrid and Electric Vehicles will get subsidies, Let's keep our finger's crossed and hope for the best.

Top Bottom