Why is Anything Unconventional Termed as "Suicide"

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
Rolls Royce has doors hinged to the opposite direction, and they are called SUICIDE doors.

Some motorcycles have gear shifter on the right, and it is called SUICIDE shifter.

i never heard anybody calling it siucide device.
maybe out of jealousy!!
i heard somewhere gentlemen call diesal cars as dirty gas cars.
if anybody does why bother as long as it serve for good cause.

Thread Starter #6

AMG

Suspended
Looking at your responses makes me conclude that you havent understood the true nature of my query.

This is what I got after some research on the net.

Automotive doors that hinge from the rear edge of the door instead of the leading edge. They acquired the "suicide" nickname due to the fact that if the door was not fully closed and the occupant tried to open and reclose the door while the car was moving (which for some reason was once common practice), the rushing air would catch the door and pull it open violently, often pulling the person still holding the door handle out of the car.

Now that can happen and the probability is more than a conventional door.

something similar could be for true for motor cycle as well.
as my friend got confused and had a narrow escape riding on a military bike bullet the brakes were on left side instead of regular right.

Dont know why they call is seriously

Mazda RX8 has same sorta doors , I can share if someone doesn't know what it means.

3 of my friends have Mazda RX-8

Attachments

Hmmm Jalex's reasoning seems to be logical , maybe that's the same reason for bikes too as one small confusion can lead to a disaster!

ingress and egress is very easy and comfortable in such doors.
Absolutely correct.

This is what I got after some research on the net.

Automotive doors that hinge from the rear edge of the door instead of the leading edge. They acquired the "suicide" nickname due to the fact that if the door was not fully closed and the occupant tried to open and reclose the door while the car was moving (which for some reason was once common practice), the rushing air would catch the door and pull it open violently, often pulling the person still holding the door handle out of the car.

Now that can happen and the probability is more than a conventional door.
To me this is very genuine reason to believe that they have been named as Suicide. But again rather than suicide, they should be named "call for an accident" or something similar to it [lol].

Last edited by a moderator:
i always used to wonder, why arent cars manufactured with doors attached to opposite hinges, when they are much comfortable
now i understood.

Wait, there is even more here Suicide door - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Guess that explains the whole story.

I came across this as well:

Doors that open the oposite way than they usually do- Used in the 1930's by gangsters because they could easily hang out of their car with their tommy guns and shoot at the vehicle that was following them.

Car doors that open backwards- In the early 1900s most cars were sold to elderly because they were the only people who could afford them. The term suicide door originated before Drinking and Driving became illegal.

While the car was still moving, an intoxicated driver would open the door to vomit and would be pulled out of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Top Bottom