Why Implementing a Traffic Penalty Tough in India?

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

A thought crossed, India is country with dense traffic on roads. Violations are inevitable and often occur. Motorists are immune to the mundane nature of cops. For large majority violation of traffic norms is like a regular act in daily life. Respect towards traffic rules is negligible in India at large. So, in light of above facts, when the authorities chalk-out a list of penalties for violators on road, why then these penalties are so difficult to be implemented in real sense? Why aren't they put to use by the traffic cops in India? Is there some flaw in the plans or implementation? Is it that people have better ideas to get away with violations? Or Do people feel traffic violation is not that serious an offence?

I ask this because, the penalties in India for violation of traffic norms are pretty strict but when a violation occurs then how often is the requisite penalty implemented on the violator here?

Request your thoughts!

Regards

Akash

There are three answers to this. First, I'll draw parallel with Civic amenities. Just before a State Minister or CM etc visit, everything goes on Top Gear; Roads are repaired, Garbage removed and what not done to make the area ideal. This implies that the basic machinery, expertise and funds are available. Why this is not done on a regular basis? Answer is same for mine and your Question.

2nd answer is thst ”the Drivers feel insulted to be charged in front of their Wife/GF/Friend/Relative etc and tend to use VIP / VVIP names when caught for even a small offense like signal jumping. And, in our great country, VIPs oblige every idiotic request on such cases rather than using it constructively. The traffic Cop hence feels it is better to look away.

Final answer is us, the most knowledgeable people, who willingly break rules and are ready to grease palms to cut loses and to get out.

I wish Cops implement the basic ”NO mobiles while driving, Helmet & seat belt" rules. My great Country [frustration].

Penalised Rs.300 for driving at 67 where 60 is the limit on Doddaballapur Rd, 2 hours ago (shame shame). Checked with them why they don't catch "Phone" users. Answer was "max penalty is for taxi drivers, reducing to normal cars. They are also charged for dangerous driving". I kidded "I'm yet to see any one charged" and got reply "We've got to meet targets Sir".

Thread Starter #4

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Vijay, over-speeding is the easiest way to complete the "targets". I remember once I was traveling back from Panipat and was challaned for 3 km of excess speed. Limit is 90km/h and my car as per their cam was 93 km/h. They were not stopping local cars and caught only other states cars. That is what I did not understand.

Regards

Akash

The people as well as the cops are to be blamed. Today at the Badarpur Toll Plaza, when waiting for my toll receipt, saw a Fortuner (with red beacon) rushing and cutting through lanes and flashing headlights madly. The Fortuner rushed to an empty toll gate without stopping, and i.e. @~40 kmph. The toll operator just let him go and didn't even bother to stop him! All the officials were smiling and looking at each other after this incident. Why do the VIPs don't need to give the toll?

Cops are also guilty as much as the people are. In some places, like Palwal/Faridabad, the cops wouldn't dare to stop you if you have got heavily tinted windows and a Police/Navy/Army/Govt. of India sticker on the vehicle. When visiting Agra, I have noticed many times that they try to pull up the vehicles with other state's registration numbers. On one day, a cop was literally waiting for a vehicle to pass to stop my car (HR registered) on a crossing near Taj Mahal route, for no reason.

Traffic rule violation is no doubt a serious offence (even light jumping one) and should be dealt with, no matter whether the violator is a VVIP or a common man. People often pass comments that "If you have Rs.100 in your pocket, you can do away with the cops" and the bribing scene is the first to take into consideration. Actually, in a way, people don't have any mistake in this, as the cops themselves are not that strict. If people had to pay the actual and full fine (instead of a bribe after an agreement) on ANY type of traffic rule violation, then they would be careful the next time. If they can get away after such acts without much problem, they are bound to be careless the next time. Nice thread, Akash. [:)]

Regards,
Nikunj

Last edited:
In india as long as the people in power are not affected it is not their problem, so they wont care about it ..If a constable hands over fine to many drivers, the senior/inspector will mock him by telling , he is wasting time on such petty useless matters.
Nobody wants to stand in the middle of the road managing traffic, everyone wants to be in law and order, being in traffic dept is either for bribe/ punishment posting.

Top Bottom