Why Fiat Uno Failed to Capture Taxi Market?

No I haven't forgotten. I was just replying to the points raised. Truth versus perception. In general, Fiats have not done well mainly to to perception and things that people have heard about the cars not what they have experienced.

That's what I'm comparing to other cars.

What's that supposed to mean?

The choice is yours. I always buy original spares.

That's because I never had an issue with the GC.

It's the car which is good or not. Fans are everywhere. Even the Dzire has fans.
Peter, If the spares were available,maintenance cost was affordable,GC was ok then why did uno failed to capture taxi market?

Even the dealers depend on sardarji spares now.the spare you think genuine may not be genuine. You can check with the dealer itself.

For your information the taxi people mainly depend on local workshops as the cost is low and if the spares are not available easily in local market the taxi people won't buy such cars,and that is one of the strong reason uno taxi's are few.(Tata is giving a special discount on taxi indicas)
And the tools used as i mentioned earlier was different in fiat even the screws had a flower head.
The local workshops found it difficult to do the maintenance at the time of launch.
But now the story is different as the locals are well equipped with the latest tools.

And about GC i found difficult with the old punto and are worried of it.
Guys,the GC of Uno is much much less than old punto,hope every one got an idea on GC in Uno.

Last edited:
Then either it's not diesel or you are not not using it on Indian roads.
Yea, it was a petrol but a number of my friends had the diesel model. The last time I checked, roads in Goa were considered, Indian roads

Peter, If the spares were available,maintenance cost was affordable,GC was ok then why did uno failed to capture taxi market?
There might have been various reasons for the failure as a taxi. What I am highlighting is that some of the things mentioned are not entirely correct.

Even the dealers depend on sardarji spares now.the spare you think genuine may not be genuine. You can check with the dealer itself..
I have checked with my dealer. All parts are original.

For your information the taxi people mainly depend on local workshops as the cost is low and if the spares are not available easily in local market the taxi people won't buy such cars,and that is one of the strong reason uno taxi's are few.(Tata is giving a special discount on taxi indicas).
True if the taxi is an Ambassador or Padmini or an old Maruti. Today even an 800 or Omni has to be taken to the ASS. Local mechanics can do only a few jobs.

And the tools used as i mentioned earlier was different in fiat even the screws had a flower head.
A lot of manufacturers do that. But that is only in a few areas which are not worked upon regularly.

And about GC i found difficult with the old punto and are worried of it.
Guys,the GC of Uno is much much less than old punto,hope every one got an idea on GC in Uno.
Looks like you guys are doing off-roading. I have found no issue with the GC on the Uno's as well as the Palio / Petra. Not really driven the Punto that much.

Re: Why Fiat Uno Failed to Capture Taxi Market? in Goa

[drive] and[cheers]Peter, please provide a link and phone numbers of UNOtaxi operaters , if Uno taxis are available in Goa, next time when I visit Goa , I would like to enjoy the ride once again , this time on Goan tarmac.

Last edited:
[drive] and[cheers]Peter, please provide a link and phone numbers of UNOtaxi operaters , if Uno taxis are available in Goa, next time when I visit Goa , I would like to enjoy the ride once again , this time on Goan tarmac.
Where did I say there are Uno Taxis in Goa? (Though I have seen a couple). I was referring to the Baleno mentioned in one of the posts as there are quite a few Baleno Taxis.

Where did I say there are Uno Taxis in Goa? (Though I have seen a couple). I was referring to the Baleno mentioned in one of the posts as there are quite a few Baleno Taxis.
please enlighten us about 'Why Fiat Uno Failed To Capture Taxi Market In Goa or Rest of the India ?
Please, mention the reasons excluding those mentioned by alexddas earlier?

please enlighten us about 'Why Fiat Uno Failed To Capture Taxi Market In Goa or Rest of the India ?
Please, mention the reasons excluding those mentioned by alexddas earlier?
I don't run a Taxi company so I'm not concerned which car succeeds or fails as a Taxi. I own an Uno and have driven it for a considerable number of kilometers. So I know a bit about the car and ASS, spares etc. based on my experience. I am just clarifying that some of the points mentioned as reasons for failure are not entirely correct. The perception that these points were correct is one of the reasons for the low sales of Fiat. I don't get a share of Fiat's profits, so I don't worry much about the sales. I buy cars which satisfy my need and I am happy with my decisions. You are free to buy whatever you feel is a good car for you. The car which is a good car for me may not be a good car for you and vice versa.

I am surprised to see this thread yet again,I thought we're finished with it.

Uno dint fail but Fiat themselves got wrecked.period.
(they have'nt recovered yet or in process of recovering.)

Hope we can can close this thread to prevent a webwar.

I don't run a Taxi company so I'm not concerned which car succeeds or fails as a Taxi. I own an Uno and have driven it for a considerable number of kilometers. So I know a bit about the car and ASS, spares etc. based on my experience. I am just clarifying that some of the points mentioned as reasons for failure are not entirely correct. The perception that these points were correct is one of the reasons for the low sales of Fiat. I don't get a share of Fiat's profits, so I don't worry much about the sales. I buy cars which satisfy my need and I am happy with my decisions. You are free to buy whatever you feel is a good car for you. The car which is a good car for me may not be a good car for you and vice versa.
The topic is Why Fiat Uno failed to capture Taxi Market

We all know Uno is a good car no one have a different opinion.

For your information Maruti have maruti outlets for local workshops where they sell MGP spares and about the facility in the local workshops you have to believe that the boring and sleeving and crank reconditioning are done locally by the dealers.

For Uno at the time of the launch, it was totally different the locals fount difficult to even remove a flower headed screw due to lack of tools and the taxi guys engaged the reverse gear on Uno.

About the genuine spares from the dealer for uno it is so, officially.

@jayadev

You may be right fiat would have wrecked themselves but the product Uno was not suitable for the taxi people as for the points discussed before.

Last edited:

Top Bottom