Why Do You Keep Your Rear View Mirrors Shut?

It’s not wise to drive fast on roads that you’re not familiar with (regardless of how clean it looks – It’s India). The speed you are talking about isn’t legal either.

Drive Safe,
350Z
no vibhor
Thats not a new road thats a familiar one for us[:)]
speed i'm talking[roll]
i wont do that speed unless 100% clean but that taxiwalla was doing that without using mirror.

My personal experience
During my Chennai visit in four lane bypass
After crossing tindivanam in four lane a convoy of three lorries.And a swift and indica were overtaking them in right lane myself was also following the swift in 20 meters gap. Suddenly the lorry was moving to right lane without seeing the mirror. then i was like applied brake hard and fortunately no vehicle was behind me.
Well, when I see state transport buses or trucks following an another vehicle I become alert because they can change lane any time to overtake the vehicle. While these vehicles are moving alone then generally they change the lane slowly and hence we get the time to brake.
The case mentioned is experienced by me too a couple of times, what the driver does is he gives hand indicator and changes the lane, sometimes without giving hand indicator too and we have to just press the middle pedal hard.
Rest many times car drivers also irritate these bus and truck drivers by not following their hand indicators and then they have to forcefully enter the lane suddenly. I have seen it many times, the bus or truck driver keeps on indicating but car drivers don't bother to slow down and let them change the lane, they just honk and try to squeeze from the space left. In these cases too, the bus and truck drivers do such acts as mentioned.

Same day
i was moving around 135-140 kmph the road was free for a stretch,only a indigo taxi was moving in front in left lane i was going in right side suddenly that guy was coming to my lane again a hard brake.
Hehe, we both are of same age group and I know how it happens that speed builds up. First you decide you won't cross 100 and then you think, 120 is okay and then you feel like let me see how it's driving on 140 and then you think 'road is empty, let me see 150' and once this mark is reached then thought comes "Yaar, let me see how quick this machine can go".[:D]
The speed you mentioned is normal for any car above 5-6 lac and people do them regularly, but yes..on the empty roads people change the lanes slowly, I guess in slow lane changes we can easily stop the person by honking.
Rest a free advise is that "You must avoid hard braking at high speeds, instead use steering wheel with uniform braking".

none of these guys used their ORVM
Decided on that day to avoid that road hereafter then again i have taken that road only using ECR.
There are thousands of such examples where people don't use the ORVMs and cause accidents too and then blame the car coming from behind saying "I was driving slowly, he came and banged me from behind".

I started using them from yesterday, but find really difficult to manage looking at OVRM and immediately onto the road. They were useful while taking reverse[:)]

May be it takes some more time for me to adjust to them.

I always keep both mirrors open as i've habit of checking mirrors on every 10-15secs ,I just can't drive/ride without mirrors . Also i always keep my eye open for mirror less people on road and make sure that they see or hear me , either i honk rapidly or by flashing head lights before i overtake them .

Well, when I see state transport buses or trucks following an another vehicle I become alert because they can change lane any time to overtake the vehicle. While these vehicles are moving alone then generally they change the lane slowly and hence we get the time to brake.
The case mentioned is experienced by me too a couple of times, what the driver does is he gives hand indicator and changes the lane, sometimes without giving hand indicator too and we have to just press the middle pedal hard.
Rest many times car drivers also irritate these bus and truck drivers by not following their hand indicators and then they have to forcefully enter the lane suddenly. I have seen it many times, the bus or truck driver keeps on indicating but car drivers don't bother to slow down and let them change the lane, they just honk and try to squeeze from the space left. In these cases too, the bus and truck drivers do such acts as mentioned.
Hehe, we both are of same age group and I know how it happens that speed builds up. First you decide you won't cross 100 and then you think, 120 is okay and then you feel like let me see how it's driving on 140 and then you think 'road is empty, let me see 150' and once this mark is reached then thought comes "Yaar, let me see how quick this machine can go".[:D]
The speed you mentioned is normal for any car above 5-6 lac and people do them regularly, but yes..on the empty roads people change the lanes slowly, I guess in slow lane changes we can easily stop the person by honking.
Rest a free advise is that "You must avoid hard braking at high speeds, instead use steering wheel with uniform braking".
There are thousands of such examples where people don't use the ORVMs and cause accidents too and then blame the car coming from behind saying "I was driving slowly, he came and banged me from behind".
100% true with me too.
but i would be doing 100 kmph suddenly some one will make me to go 120 kmph like that will happen.
That day steered and also brake because without doing both i cant control my car[frustration]

Today a guy in a Chevrolet spark kept tugging my mirror like 3 times,then i looked inside the car,the guy was talking to a kid in the back seat,looks sweet i know but does not mean you move the car looking back wards,i wanted to giving a solid knock on his window but cos of the family i kept quiet,then he does it again after i have moved ahead,i fold the mirrors & give the lady in back seat a look(doesn't she have common sense to tell the driver really!),driver is informed i assumed as he drives hastily away making sure not to look at me! I wonder how expensive car owners enjoy driving there cars in traffic when a mirror assembly costs 85000 +,still got to admire them cos they dont fold there mirrors like what is being discussed here.

Yes. Low-end Marutis do not come equipped with left ORVM. I got one fixed at mere Rs.150. I think Motor Vehicle Act states that only right and inside rear view mirror is compulsory? I'm not sure though. Hope Jalex can confirm.
This is what the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, 1989 states with regards to rear view mirrors: (2) Six months from the date of commencement of the Central Motor Vehicles

Rule 125 (2) Six months from the date of commencement of the Central Motor Vehicles(Amendment) Rules 1993, all motor vehicles shall be equipped with rear view mirror.

[on and from 1st May, 2003], the rear view mirror specifications and
installation requirements shall be as specified by AIS: 001-2001 and AIS: 002-2001 respectively, as may be amended from time to time, till such
time as corresponding Bureau of Indian Standards specifications are notified.]

AIS: 001-2001 and AIS: 002-2001 states as follows in the link: //acmainfo.com/docmgr/AISC_Standards/Ais_001.pdf

I'm still not clear whether a outside RVM is compulsory or not on the left side for cars. I dont recall where I saw it, but the Right RVM is compulsory I believe. Whatever be the case, I need all three mirrors, One on the inside and two on the outside while driving a car. It's what makes things easy and precise for me.

My personal experience
During my Chennai visit in four lane bypass
After crossing tindivanam in four lane a convoy of three lorries.And a swift and indica were overtaking them in right lane myself was also following the swift in 20 meters gap. Suddenly the lorry was moving to right lane without seeing the mirror. then i was like applied brake hard and fortunately no vehicle was behind me.
Same day
i was moving around 135-140 kmph the road was free for a stretch,only a indigo taxi was moving in front in left lane i was going in right side suddenly that guy was coming to my lane again a hard brake.
none of these guys used their ORVM
Decided on that day to avoid that road hereafter then again i have taken that road only using ECR.

Even I too had a same situation with a bike guy, when I was 110kmhr in my Vista in a well familar road(Chennai-Vellore NH) a bike tried to make U-turn without any signal. I almost stand on the middle pedal, thank god none of the vehicle was behind me. Due to ABS my car came to halt in fration of secounds with the very safe distance. that Bike didn't have any side mirror and Indicator.

Actually I have a habit of Blowing horn before overtaking anyone. but that guy not even responded to my Horn.[frustration]

Here is the same story on my Review:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...k-vista-qjd-vx-reached-home-9.html#post183742

I started using them from yesterday, but find really difficult to manage looking at OVRM and immediately onto the road. They were useful while taking reverse

May be it takes some more time for me to adjust to them.

That is really a good news, once you used to it, you won't drive without ORVM's in future[;)]

Hmm still finding difficult to adjust with, as the trouble is diverting my sight from the road to left and right OVRMs is a pain as it takes bit of time to do so and afraid of loosing focus on the road[cry], but will continue to try with the same.

I too have got used to using all 3 mirrors at all times. At nights in heavy traffic or if the person behind me is using high beam, i adjust the cabin RVM from day position to night position. This has proved quite helpful for me. Though i have had a few instances of 2 wheelers touching the ORVM's at times but luckily nothing major has happend. One more advantage is i do not have body coloured ORVM's so dont bother much for minor scratches! [:D]

Now I started driving/practising Ertiga and always use 3 mirrors and reverse parking camera. But still my reflexes are not natural as total distance I drove is just 150km. I always ask my wife to keep a watch on left side so that I should not hit any object.

But I made sure that always use all the mirrors while doing any lane change or taking any deviation. This practice I am following it when I started riding bike and taking it on highways- NH17. In my ZMR I always use both mirrors and adjust it before I hit the road.

@Gurralla,

How about your experience with LORVM?

I hope you still using LORVM & used to it.

Am I right?
I am sorry but, even no I am not comfortable with the left of right ovrms, I still use the middle one more, but I keep the right and left ones open

Top Bottom