Why Do You Keep Your Rear View Mirrors Shut?

There is only one day when i fold my ORVM ie on Saturday evening. I know i wont be taking my car out on Sunday, and next day being an off day, i fold it to make my Baby Suzuki feel that it would also be taking an off on the next day[lol].
hahaha i think your also like me feeling lazzy to close that ORVM of 800 and open that again[:D][sleep].
but to confess the truth myself was also dont use the ORVM because of thinking someone would broke.But afterwards i cant drive without that.

Last edited:
what about the human( especially women) crossing the road without looking anywhere. They have caused serious accident to many motorist.

The Ceat Advertisement which says that Road is full of idiot is absolutely true in every part of Bangalore.We should be ultra cautious to have look in all directions while driving. I ride only bike but cannot imagine to ride without looking mirror.

what about the human( especially women) crossing the road without looking anywhere. They have caused serious accident to many motorist.

The Ceat Advertisement which says that Road is full of idiot is absolutely true in every part of Bangalore.We should be ultra cautious to have look in all directions while driving. I ride only bike but cannot imagine to ride without looking mirror.
I've heard Mrs. Shiela Dikshit many times on radio asking people to cross on zebra crossings only. But the only place I saw that happening is near India Gate and surrounding areas(not too good at maps, sorry). They can't cross at zebra crossings either, everyone likes to stop their vehicle on zebra crossing or ahead it.

I come to home from tuition classes with friend on his Activa, and today he got his rear view mirrors removed, saying "Aise scooty mast lagti hai"(It looks great this way). Dunno if I should travel with him anymore.[frustration]

Oh !! God I confess friends not using them till now and I start using them from today, however thick traffic it is and if a OVRM is hit and broken but I will keep them open and in such case I have a option of send the new replaced OVRM bill to you all of you who suggested me this [;)]
Ha Ha. RK Sir, we all should be loving this post. Dont worry sir, we will reimburse your OVRM bill. And thanks for using OVRM which is very useful for you irrespective of traffic[clap]

Ha Ha. RK Sir, we all should be loving this post. Dont worry sir, we will reimburse your OVRM bill. And thanks for using OVRM which is very useful for you irrespective of traffic[clap]
Oh !! God I confess friends not using them till now and I start using them from today, however thick traffic it is and if a OVRM is hit and broken but I will keep them open and in such case I have a option of send the new replaced OVRM bill to you all of you who suggested me this [;)]
Lolzzzz reimbursement [lol]
But to tell fact
The bikers and autowalla will never come closer to your car if you maintain your car scratch free and dent free.And also with sedans and SUV.
Once my 800 ORVM Was folded by guy and passes through but never in case with fiesta.

The bikers and autowalla will never come closer to your car if you maintain your car scratch free and dent free.And also with sedans and SUV.
Just try that out in Delhi and you'll be forced to eat your words.[;)]
Most bikers here are nasty and rude to say the least.

freakdude.

Closing the ORVMs is a big NO for me.
Even at very tight spots I close my ORVMs only if something is sure to touch them else I can't even drive if the car don't have both the ORVMs.
Inner rear view mirror is useless for me, I never use it. In fact in any sedan with a rising beltline you will find the inner rear view mirror just as much usable to tell you if there is anything, none else.

BTW, bikers, autowallahs etc take care of the ORVM too if they see any car like Swift or above because no one wants to pay 3-4000 for just hitting an ORVM.
Till date, I have never lost any of my ORVM and I hardly remember when I closed the ORVMs of my car last time while driving.
BUT YES, I CLOSE MY ORVM ON SIGNALS ETC WHEN I SEE SOME BIKER ETC COMING TOO CLOSE.

I use left side OVRM even while parking just turn to face down so that you can see near your rear wheel and you can park easily near platform etc.

Black colored ORVM S invite more hits from oncoming vehicles due to poor visibility. Solution is to paint them with body color.If body color is dark then to affix a radium grafic sticker

I wish, we get an orvm with' anti glare' feature.

Gurus, is it possible to get an electrically fold able and adjustable left orvm for manza.Some times I forget to open lrvm , and it is cumbersome to open it in running car.

I follow TSI rules of ORVM.

@ If you avoid opening ORVMS fearing a hit, you likely to get a hit on rear door or sides of bumper.

Interesting thread. I got so used to left RVM in my Etios, that I got one fitted in the old WagonR as well[:)]

Now I wonder how I was managing without that mirror in the WagonR. It is definitely helpful and I feel it's better that the RVM gets a scratch than the body in dense traffic! I also feel strongly that companies like Maruti shouldn't do cost cutting in this area.

I feel it's better that the RVM gets a scratch than the body in dense traffic!

I also feel strongly that companies like Maruti shouldn't do cost cutting in this area.
:agree: on your scratch related comment.

But Maruti is not doing any cost cutting on left ORVM, they charge a custemer properly.:lol!:

Okay guys, here is a small observation from my side and some precautions too:

• While doing highway drives, what I have noticed is that if the vehicle moving in front has it's ORVMs closed then such people are more prone to get hit by fast moving traffic from behind because they do a lot of wrong maneuvers like sudden lane changing for overtaking without seeing if anyone is coming from behind at elevated speeds.
  • You flash them lights but no response because their ORVMs are already closed.
  • And worst happens when these people cut the lane in front of you while you were doing 100 and the person was following a truck at 60 kph.

Precautions to be taken:
  • Cars like Alto etc come without left ORVM or if the ORVMs(of any car) is closed, if the car is moving straight on empty road then no issues but if the car is following any kind of slow moving traffic then it's better not to be a hero and try to zip past the traffic because you never know when the driver will be bringing his car's boot in front of your bonnet for a kiss.
  • If the ORVMs of a vehicle are closed then first of all please don't suppose that the driver will give indications before changing lanes, this is my personal observation that most of these people even don't know how to use indicators too.
  • Some people say that inner rear view mirror is fit for the purpose but the fact is that: 3 tall guys on rear seat and half of the IRVM is covered and rest half is covered by C and D pillars and hence the driver now drives on the basis of his experience so closed ORVMs + car stuffed with people means the driver really can't see you.
  • Horn...yes, your horn can be your enemy in this case. If you are not in a mood of pressing brake pedal then please don't press the horn button also for more than a second because the person driving in front can change the lane to give you side.

Last and most important: Look in the ORVM of the car and you can easily make out the mood of the driver or his acts by looking at his face in ORVM(if windows are open)..this helps a lot in taking decisions. If he doesn't look into ORVM even after you blew the horn then overtake as you wish but if he has looked once or twice then wait, he will give you side.

Note: the points mentioned above are my personal observations and may vary from person to person.

My personal experience
During my Chennai visit in four lane bypass
After crossing tindivanam in four lane a convoy of three lorries.And a swift and indica were overtaking them in right lane myself was also following the swift in 20 meters gap. Suddenly the lorry was moving to right lane without seeing the mirror. then i was like [shock] applied brake hard and fortunately no vehicle was behind me.
Same day
i was moving around 135-140 kmph the road was free for a stretch,only a indigo taxi was moving in front in left lane i was going in right side suddenly that guy was coming to my lane again a hard brake.
none of these guys used their ORVM [anger]
Decided on that day to avoid that road hereafter then again i have taken that road only using ECR.[:D]

Thread Starter #45

350Z

Core Team
Decided on that day to avoid that road hereafter then again i have taken that road only using ECR.
It’s not wise to drive fast on roads that you’re not familiar with (regardless of how clean it looks – It’s India). The speed you are talking about isn’t legal either.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom