Why Do You Keep Your Rear View Mirrors Shut?

Thread Starter #76

350Z

Core Team
Moment I see a driver without rear view mirror, I avoid him for me he is not a good driver.
I think twice before overtaking a car with ORVMs folded. There’s no harm to honk multiple times because there’s always a risk involved of them maneuvering suddenly.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I think twice before overtaking a car with ORVMs folded. There’s no harm to honk multiple times because there’s always a risk involved of them maneuvering suddenly.

Drive Safe,
350Z
+100, I do this either they are open or closed !![:)] for safe side

Drive Safe,
350Z
I honk irrespective of the ORVMs being open or close as we don't know if that person is actually of the habit of using them or not. Being extra cautious always pays well.

freakdude.

Another thing is - when you are sitting in traffic, the blessed 2 wheeler guys seem to pass from both sides as if a godzilla is chasing them, and try to manouver their handlebar over/under the open ORVM and sometimes are millimeters away from hitting the ORVMs. Makes my blood boil. What's the blessed hurry to get to the front of the pack? We are all waiting for the light to turn green.

Another thing is - when you are sitting in traffic, the blessed 2 wheeler guys seem to pass from both sides as if a godzilla is chasing them, and try to manouver their handlebar over/under the open ORVM and sometimes are millimeters away from hitting the ORVMs. Makes my blood boil. What's the blessed hurry to get to the front of the pack? We are all waiting for the light to turn green.
When some one folds or cross my ORVM by millimeter gaps then i feel like[gun]
But many times they do so in traffic signals here,Not only that after doing so look at me like "I have commited a sin by opening ORVM".

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I feel the drivers at large try to avoid the expense related to the ORVM replacement if it gets damaged. So, best way is to not open them at all even at risk of endangering other motorists. I have instructed my driver to use both mirrors i.e in and out while driving. For me another advantage of open side mirrors apart from safe driving is that it protects the car from being nudged by bikers as they mostly try to squeeze in between 2 cars at any crossing. Waiting at the traffic signal for them seems a life-long pain. You may find many such examples specially on main roads of Noida sector 60 and 62. Also while squeezing in between, if they hit the ORVM, then its an unwritten rule that the car driver should stay silent.:mad:

Regards

Akash

Came across one "L" sticker i10 yesterday evening. I saw it at the intersection which is always flooded with traffic. Suddenly saw illuminated reverse light of this car which was trying to back up in that tight traffic. The drivers behind it literally started to stand on their horns. At last the illuminated reverse lights were off !!

As soon as traffic started to move, i came parallel to that car and was shocked to see that right side OVRM was hanging from its location and left side OVRM was closed. The lady inside it was driving it all alone without any other companion. After couple of seconds she started moving left and was trying to say something to one biker who was going to stuck between her car and footpath border.

Later i saw that the biker came by her side and opened her left OVRM and zoomed ahead. Now without any indicator she was trying to come at my side (as i was parallel to her [:)]), i given short honk and zoomed off.

Dont know whether she reached her destination safety or not without right OVRM.

here in chennai, every youngster as soon as they get a new bike, first thing they do is remove the rear view mirrors. They say it is disturbance for them while doing cut between vehicles.

It is really sad to see that they are removing the important safety from their bike.

apart from bikes, lorries, most of the yellow board cards, Tata ace kind of vehicles does n't have left side OVRMs. only on right side they have. and they dont even bother about others.

I may not drive without my rear view mirrors on both the sides either it is car or bike. From the day one I am having both side rear view mirrors in my bike as well in car. Even my M800 came without left side OVRM but I made sure to fix one.

some one was saying we should learn to drive without rear view mirrors also. I dont understand their logic.

It's common to see ORVMs kept shut in small, congested towns. I myself never used them for some years in the jam-packed place where I lived. But it's foolish not to use ORVMs in the metros. Such drivers are either careless young people or at the risk of sounding sexist, female drivers who just got their learner's licence.

I feel I am blind if my ORVMs are close for any reason. Generally I never ever close my ORVMs but sometimes heavy neck to neck traffic force me to close them. And I always respect red L because they are learner and learners can make mistakes so I keep safe distance between me and L vehicles. Many of us also made mistakes when we were learning. So always respect red L on vehicles.

Last edited:
I feel I am blind if my ORVMs are close for any reason. Generally I never ever close my ORVMs but sometimes heavy neck to neck traffic force me to close them. And I always respect red L because they are learner and learners can make mistakes so I keep safe distance between me and L vehicles. Many of us also made mistakes when we were learning. So always respect red L on vehicles.
That is 100% true. I do the same when i see L board vehicles. Either i keep distance if am not in hurry. if am in hurry I take alternative route and go.

Top Bottom