Why Do You Keep Your Rear View Mirrors Shut?

I am sorry but, even no I am not comfortable with the left of right ovrms, I still use the middle one more, but I keep the right and left ones open
Yes sir
In case of hatches centre mirror is more than enough
Espially Ritz,Wagonr,800 and even indica too.
As my uncle and dad will not use ORVM as they are not used to that.But i can't drive without LORVM in 800 too. I think everyone will use both ORVM in highways.

Yes sir
As my uncle and dad will not use ORVM as they are not used to that.But i can't drive without LORVM in 800 too. I think everyone will use both ORVM in highways.
I beg to differ buddy!! Ritz and WagonR are classic examples of poorest view from the in-cabin center mirror. As opposed to hatches, i find much better rear view in sedans.

freakdude.

Yes sir
Buddy, In my Black Indica. one time a cyclist broke my RORVM at Tiruvanamalai. From Tiruvanamalai to Vellore it was very difficult to drive. The IRVM are worthless in hatchbacks.

IRVM is just to see the straight rear. nothing otherthan that.

Whatever the car may be ORVM are most important.

For me, I can drive without IRVM but I can't drive without both ORVMs.

I beg to differ buddy!! Ritz and WagonR are classic examples of poorest view from the in-cabin center mirror. As opposed to hatches, i find much better rear view in sedans.

freakdude.
But, I differ with you here as a Ritz owner, it is enough thru' the center cabin mirror in my car, it really depends on one getting used to it !![:)]

But, I differ with you here as a Ritz owner, it is enough thru' the center cabin mirror in my car, it really depends on one getting used to it !![:)]
I knew it was coming from you sooner or later. [evil] You stand correct as it is a matter of getting used to it. But still Ritz has very poor rear visibility as compared to say punto, liva or figo.

freakdude.

I knew it was coming from you sooner or later. [evil] You stand correct as it is a matter of getting used to it. But still Ritz has very poor rear visibility as compared to say punto, liva or figo.

freakdude.
Yeah I agree with you that yes the rear glass area is small in ritz, but I am surprised when you said Punto,Liva,Figo[surprise], they are marginally better than ritz, but if you say Brio, then I will say[thumbsup] superb visibility.

using left and right ovrms is almost always required in sedans for their very small angled rear glass area, but for hatches and SUVs it is manageable !!

Getting used to is something else. One can get used to without having any type of mirror, without blinking indicators and even without wearing seat belts. I think we are discussing some 'ideal' ways of driving a car here.

I don't agree that the IRVM is sufficient for an all round visibility in any type of car be it sedan or a hatch. Anyone cares to do some physics on this?

I have noticed many Indica cabs has written - AC vehicle no hand signal. It's okay no hand signal but why no OVRM. Really feel scared to overtake them.

OVRM not only helps the driver but the vehicles which are behind them also get a clue about certain drivers attitude and his/her next move.

freakdude.
Buddy, In my Black Indica. one time a cyclist broke my RORVM at Tiruvanamalai. From Tiruvanamalai to Vellore it was very difficult to drive. The IRVM are worthless in hatchbacks.

IRVM is just to see the straight rear. nothing otherthan that.

Whatever the car may be ORVM are most important.

For me, I can drive without IRVM but I can't drive without both ORVMs.
Hatchback or not, inside rear view mirror can never substitute the value of outside rear view mirrors.

Drive Safe,
350Z
But, I differ with you here as a Ritz owner, it is enough thru' the center cabin mirror in my car, it really depends on one getting used to it
Its Answer is only "used to"[lol]
Even I can't drive without ORVM.
My uncle and dad are driving without using ORVM.

I have noticed many Indica cabs has written - AC vehicle no hand signal. It's okay no hand signal but why no OVRM. Really feel scared to overtake them.

OVRM not only helps the driver but the vehicles which are behind them also get a clue about certain drivers attitude and his/her next move.
How many of them are really using them in traffic?
Only a handful of people properly keeping an eye, none others do so,They simply open them and move on.

Last edited:
I was driving on NH7 today, and both left and right ovrms are open, but really when I try to see in them, I loose vision on the road, so they are useful only sometimes to me !!

I loose vision on the road, so they are useful only sometimes to me !!
RK sir,

I drive my Vista with both ORVM open. Even my speed meter is also at centre. At any situation I never felt like losing vision at any time.

Anyhow you are driving with ORVM open. so you will used to it very soon.

The primary reason anybody with such practice would give is, 'the ORVM's will get damaged' by the increasing traffic day on day..
But that isnt a valid reason for risking their and other peoples lives on the road.. :agree:

Even I can not understand how people can drive with out rear view mirrors. In my life I never drove without having the rear view mirrors. Any time I sit in my(other) car first thing is to check and adjust the mirrors. Once I got my mirror smashed by a biker on HW and till I got it replaced I was so nervous to drive!
Moment I see a driver without rear view mirror, I avoid him for me he is not a good driver. Some of you mentioned that 'I fold the mirrors in the city and dense traffic' In that case when the mirror is unfolded you are not sincerely using it [:)]. Its only for the fashion.
Only when I fold them when parked in a narrow space.
Note that in US during your driving license test, you are supposed to check the mirrors if you don't you will loose points there itself. And inspite of having the mirrors and using them during lane change you are supposed to turn your head back and check the blind spot otherwise you are failed 'immediate' with out further test. These rules are defined with reason.
So requesting all of you who is not in to using the rear view mirrors to start using them, thanks 350Z for starting this useful life saver thread!

Top Bottom