Why Do You Keep Your Rear View Mirrors Shut?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
It’s not uncommon to find at least 3 cars out of 5 on roads which have their ORVMs shut. These kind of drivers blindly switch lanes and usually live in their own world (not listening to horns either), creating a menace for others. In fact, it looks as if they consider their responsibility lies on rest of the road users. Personally, I have a habit of checking adjustments of all three mirrors (including inside mirror) before starting even a small trip. Hence, I'm quite surprised with the fact that some drivers could be so ignorant that they don’t bother using outside rear view mirrors at all. Please mind it, ORVMs are there for a reason. It’s a serious open appeal to everyone.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I too never understand how closed mirror helps. I have seen many premium sedans with closed mirrors. However, most of them give proper reason to this question saying that the mirror may get hit and get damaged.
BTW i keep my ORVMs unfolded.

Yes it very true even in Bangalore especially Indica Cab driver. They can change lane at any time and that too without honking or indicator signal.

Your appeal is also applicable to 2-wheeler riders.

Yes it is not that abnormal, even I do the same, I am used with the center rear view mirror all the time and felt quite ok with it. Yes it is really a big problem in opening them during bumper to bumper traffic in city. I open them always when I am on highway [:)].

Yes as Ertiga said, it is more serious with 2-wheeler people as most of them remove those mirrors and never see that what is happening behind them[surprise]

And these are the drivers we see in accidents thread or road rage thread! They only learn the hard way!

Thread Starter #6

350Z

Core Team
Yes it is not that abnormal, even I do the same, I am used with the center rear view mirror all the time and felt quite ok with it.
The inside rear view mirror helps providing a view of behind the car, not the side. ORVMs are essential in several instances (switching lanes, overtaking etc).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes, I agree with you. But it depends on the kind of traffic you are in and when there is a little open road, then I will open them. But in dense traffic most of the times I have seen OVRM crash with others[:)] and believe me most of the times it is the bikers hit them while quick overtake in a thick traffic

I wont shut my ORVM at any cost!!!!!!
I dont like to do.
But i shut my cabin RVM at nights to avoid light glare in my eyes which would make me more tired and fall asleep.
No traffic will make me to close ORVM.

Many many thanks for the thread, 350z. Even I wanted to know why people keep them folded. Its really irritating to see folded mirrors of a car right in front of you, and it gets even more irritating when he changes the lane and comes your way without a regard for you.
@Gurrala: whatever you do, you cannot replace the utility provided by orvms. If you use the inside rvm by tilting it towards right, then how do you see the traffic coming straight behind you? Whatever you do, you need those three mirrors to cover the entire area around the car. My humble request to use them unfolded.

@Rightnow,

I agree with you, but read my opinion clearly I just said to close them while a thick traffic and it really refers to the kind of Hyderabad messy traffic where every fellow will try and hit your OVRM. So I do agree on the safety aspect of driving, but if you want to know what I am saying you need to drive in Hyderabad to see a very careless driving from most of the 2-wheeler and cab fellows !!

I never compromise on any safety aspect, but I should write what is the truth too !! I just cannot write I follow this and follow that

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team
But i shut my cabin RVM at nights to avoid light glare in my eyes which would make me more tired and fall asleep.
Fiesta has an anti-glare feature on the inside rear view mirror. Hope it helps.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Fiesta has an anti-glare feature on the inside rear view mirror. Hope it helps.

Drive Safe,
350Z
ya it has that anti-glare feature.
so i adjust for some irritating vehicle to pass me or will leave him by increasing my speed.
That mean while my mirror would be out of focus.
But in some overcrowed highways.Driving from pondicherry to coimbatore - 400 kms would a night journey for most of that time.It will take minimum 6 hours or even 8 hours,due to road work may take up to 10 hours[cry].So will shut that center mirror.
But for sure will never close ORVM.
I'm used to in such a way i dont even reverse my car with ORVM closed.
I have seen many premium sedans and SUV with shut ORVM.Some with one side open.
But my question some maruti cars are delivered without left ORVM????
How the RTO could approve????????

@Rightnow,

I agree with you, but read my opinion clearly I just said to close them while a thick traffic and it really refers to the kind of Hyderabad messy traffic where every fellow will try and hit your OVRM. So I do agree on the safety aspect of driving, but if you want to know what I am saying you need to drive in Hyderabad to see a very careless driving from most of the 2-wheeler and cab fellows !!

I never compromise on any safety aspect, but I should write what is the truth too !! I just cannot write I follow this and follow that
Well obviously you have to be true coz 350z didn't start this thread to show that all TAIans follow the rule!

We all face heavy traffic daily, be it any city. Its not you, most of the cars' ORVMs would be scratched, mine are too. Still I do not close them. Get over scratch and clash thing man, once you convince yourself that you have to use ORVMs at any cost, you will save the mirrors by yourself. Try it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

350Z

Core Team
I stumbled upon an interesting article on Mumbai Mirror (Link). Here are some funny comments (or rather excuses) from cab drivers who didn't had ORVMs.

I don’t think it is important to have this mirror. The central mirror is good enough. The side mirror is more a problem than any help. Most people just have it as a decoration.
Of what use is this mirror? It is required for cars that have air-conditioning. Our taxis do not have ACs so we don’t need this mirror.
The most important things are the brakes and lights. The centre rear-view mirror is sufficient for driving in the city while the right mirror is for driving on the highway, so it is not mandatory for us to have the right mirror.
Finally someone sensible enough:
It is a must to have this mirror. You need it when one is being overtaken and the other vehicle is driving too close. Without this there are chances of accidents happening while overtaking.
But my question some maruti cars are delivered without left ORVM???? How the RTO could approve????????
Yes. Low-end Marutis do not come equipped with left ORVM. I got one fixed at mere Rs.150. I think Motor Vehicle Act states that only right and inside rear view mirror is compulsory? I'm not sure though. Hope Jalex can confirm.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I do shut my OVRM but only in tight spots where they can get scratched. This is from a personal experience when a bike hit my cars OVRM just 3 days after its delivery. And new OVRM especially Honda ones aint cheap.

Top Bottom