Why Cars in India Don't Come Equipped with Fire Extinguisher?

Should fire extinguishers be made mndatory?

• Can't say.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hey guys when we hear things like the Nano catching fire till the Ferrari.

But the basic requirement is not met by the manufacturers.

Why still the Fire extinguishers are not provided with cars.

I feele the RTO should strictly impliment fire extinguishers requirement while registering the car.

What do you all have to say about this?

Re: Why the cars in India are not equipped with Fire Extinguisher as OEM?

It should be, but fire catching incidents are rare.
In most of the cabs its compulsory.

During fire-safety demo in our company I came to know this -
Cease Fire Extinguisher - 500 Rs approx
ABC Type Fire Extinguisher 2Kg Capacity - 2500 approx
Re-feeling costs 100 rupees after 1/2 year

So anyone can buy this for safety.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Why Do Cars in India Don't Come Equipped with Fire Extinguisher?

Fire Extinguisher is one of the highly recommended safety features which a car should have. I have been already planning to get one fixed. There are / were some cars in which it came as a standard equipment. For example: Ford Fusion, if I remember correctly.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I carry one along in my car and paid some Rs. 1850/- last year for cease fire small bottle 5 year warrenty. Shop wala was actually interested in selling a Rs. 300/- bottle (some local brand). I opted otherwise and went for a branded product.

It is a nice little bottle (little heavy thought) or container attached at the A pillar.

Cost cutting, Same reason as why ABS/Air bags are always provided on the top of the line variant.

Cutting down on safety features must be made a criminal offense.

Hi, I agree with Sachin. We in India miss many useful features in cars because carmakers do cost cutting but its not their fault also because we people need cars at lowest price and features are described only as power windows, power steering, remote lock etc. !

+1 to Sachin and Venom , i agree with both your statements. Its we who are to be blamed , we should be ready to spend more to get the safety features as standard.

In case we want to fit a 2Kg fire extinguisher on the "A" pillar, wont that lead to rusting/ weakening of the pillar, in the case of 10+yrs old cars?

I think the holder needs screws that are drilled into the pillar.

In case we want to fit a 2Kg fire extinguisher on the "A" pillar, wont that lead to rusting/ weakening of the pillar, in the case of 10+yrs old cars?

I think the holder needs screws that are drilled into the pillar.
But why do you want such a big fire extinguisher..
Yes this needs to be drilled to the A pillar..

Hi, I agree with Sachin. We in India miss many useful features in cars because carmakers do cost cutting but its not their fault also because we people need cars at lowest price and features are described only as power windows, power steering, remote lock etc. !
+1 to Sachin and Venom , i agree with both your statements. Its we who are to be blamed , we should be ready to spend more to get the safety features as standard.
I totally disagree , It's the car manufacture's fault (crime in true words), it's the money spinning attitude. They provide not so important comfort features (powerwindows, electrical mirrors, ice remote lock etc) in mid varient s at buyers cost. They provide safety features (abs airbags) only in top end (costlier than mid) models thus they compel the safety concerned buyer to purchase the comfort features , even if he isnintrested only in safety features.(if you want life and limb safe

Also they disallow the low end (devoid of safety and many comfort features) varient to upgrade with abs airbags. If kaput air bag of a bad accident car can be replaced by the service centre , then why the hell a brand new low end varient car is not upgradable?

Policy makers are just watching on the dirty bussiness, not bothered for life and limb of major segment of tax payers (car buyers)

If seat belts, head lamp adjusment device is compulsory even in low end varient, [rules]why airbags abs are not compulsory in a mid varient in lieu of comfort features?[gun]

Most of the new Mercs in India come with Fire extinguishers,but i guess car showrooms can offer these as options for car owners when they buy there car for around a sum of 600 rupees.

Chevrolet beat LPG comes with a fire extinguisher.Now that is a good move from Chevrolet but i think it is mandatory to provide fire extinguisher with lpg cars.Why can't they make the same for normal car?

I carry one along in my car and paid some Rs. 1850/- last year for cease fire small bottle 5 year warranty. .
That is a sensible thing.

That is well said.
People should understand that very well. people are ready to replace stock ice system with a Rs.50k sub woofer but I could not find a fire extinguisher and they blame manufacturer did not provide.

Cost cutting, Same reason as why ABS/Air bags are always provided on the top of the line variant.
Cutting down on safety features must be made a criminal offense.
will you say that car should come with tankful of fuel too?
or that is also part of cost cutting? come on a fire extinguisher is a consumable having a quick expiry.

I totally disagree , It's the car manufacture's fault (crime in true words), it's the money spinning attitude.

If seat belts, head lamp adjusment device is compulsory even in low end varient, [rules]why airbags abs are not compulsory in a mid varient in lieu of comfort features?[gun]
How come you can say that abs and airbags such an unavoidable safety feature. they have its own pros and cons. most of the time both these features are useless especially for city commuters who crawl in traffic. never ever there is a chance for activation of Abs or airbags inside city premises at 35 kmph .

Last edited:
@ Jaydeo , it is OT but cars plying in city are not their speeds locked @35 kmph , also same cars on same road are seen running @100 kmph at night time and then at speeds more than 100 kmph on highways.

Top Bottom