Why Aria Failed To Take Off But XUV Did??

Re: Why Aria Failed to Take-off But XUV Did??

Like Maruti, TATA too do not have a brand image to sell premium cars and Aria was the first attempt to break the ceiling.
IMO Safari was already a premium segment car which now have been virtually taken over by Fortuner I suppose.
kind of road presence and command which safari delivered in past is being continued by Fortuner .

When I was young on my bicycle, moment we saw a safari it was confirmed some VVIP,or super rich businessman.we used to talk hours about that mighty beast and its tv ads were like ...phew.

They made several mistakes in the process like inadequate PR work, not so proper communication and plain external styling which is almost dull from several angles and was looking much similar to Innova than a premium car.
Why do such mistakes happens at first place? they are not a brand new entrant in auto sector.

I bet styling like innova is just understated and no truth in it. one should look at it in flesh.
where is bland , dull Innova...and where is elegant, crispy Aria..come on.!!

Thread Starter #32

IMO Safari was already a premium segment car which now have been virtually taken over by Fortuner I suppose.
kind of road presence and command which safari delivered in past is being continued by Fortuner .

When I was young on my bicycle, moment we saw a safari it was confirmed some VVIP,or super rich businessman.we used to talk hours about that mighty beast and its tv ads were like ...phew.
I still remember the very first time I saw a Safari,I as well as my father we both were awe struck and after about 7 years of that day,we bought one.
Maybe Fortuner has a premium image,but still Safari commands a premium,at least over the Scorpios.Now a days for catching the illegal money transfers here in UP I have seen more than hundred Scorpios being checked but not more than 3-4 Safaris.Why?Because it has gained an image.Everyone says that "You can keep a Scorpio if you have money,but to keep a Safari you need to be really rich".Although the Safari does not have that high maintenance but it has gained an image.ANY DOUBT?

I bet styling like innova is just understated and no truth in it. one should look at it in flesh.
I find the Aria's styling at par with the standards,any person who prefer matured and luxurious looks over shouting styles will understand my words.
About Innova vs Aria styling...hmmm..[thinking]..let this pic speak:-

I hope now you people can make out how different both the cars are,or do I need to explain this too?

I hope now you people can make out how different both the cars are,or do I need to explain this too?
Anyway XUV got the fruit from these both and enjoying its toppings from the sales charts[evil].
Mahindra-XUV-500-SUV.jpg

Thread Starter #34

OT:I think I needed to add a pic of XUV too,but I mean to say that Aria and Innova does nowhere look alike as many say.What should I say it a lame excuse for trying to defame a car or just opinion.If it is just opinion then what is weird opinion?
Aria is a crossover and looks like one.Same way XUV is a semi-SUV(its neither crossover nor SUV)and hence it looks like one.Only problem is that in India people know only one fact,if it is big and has seven seats then its an SUV,here people call even Innova also an SUV while its a VAN!!

I still remember the very first time I saw a Safari,I as well as my father we both were awe struck and after about 7 years of that day,we bought one.
Maybe Fortuner has a premium image,but still Safari commands a premium,at least over the Scorpios.Now a days for catching the illegal money transfers here in UP I have seen more than hundred Scorpios being checked but not more than 3-4 Safaris.Why?Because it has gained an image.Everyone says that "You can keep a Scorpio if you have money,but to keep a Safari you need to be really rich".Although the Safari does not have that high maintenance but it has gained an image.ANY DOUBT?

I find the Aria's styling at par with the standards,any person who prefer matured and luxurious looks over shouting styles will understand my words.

No doubt about Safari. Its a classic design and has a rich feeling. Even after 14 years of first seeing it, still Safari is a looker for me.

But with all those super ads and rich feel of the car from outside, still it was known as poor man's Pajero

Now coming back to Aria, what I meant was the looks of an Aria is similar to Innova for a common man and not for auto enthusiasts as you in forums like TAI.

Aria is elegant. However the difference with Innova is so subtle that only people who can understand that can appreciate. Not people who just look for snob value and the mass selling is possible only if you strike a chord with that snob seeking class.

Otherwise it will remain a niche product with low sales figures and will be subjected to discussions like this.

Thread Starter #36

Actually this 'poor man's pajero' is quite true too,why?Because any person who can plonk for a Pajero buys a Pajero.

You are quite right on Aria,now a days design play a vital role in making or breaking a deal,M&M understood it better than Tata and hence they are flying.

Re: Why ARIA failed to take-off but XUV did??

Aria failed to take off, because of its price. And the nose is not attractive to all. I prefer Innova and XUV to Aria. The people seemed to like this car's looks, are not the potential buyers. Its not that I don't like simple looking cars and I still prefer Safari over Scorpio.

Now since THE X-OVER is on board let him pour his few cents:

The reason/s Aria never sold like XUV are:

1. Tata don't pay enough money to auto experts it seems.Same people who talk " all about the (in)famous plastic quality of Tata product" seem to love the fit and finish of Mahindra product.

2. For some odd reason some people have made their motto to demean and defame Tata as a company, they tend to pass negative energy abt tata no matter where they are and what they do.Nano catches fires all hell breakes loose, Etios gets fuel hose removed all happy.

I can go on for ages, but I think its enough to igniite another flame war,so dear Vipul happy now.
I feel you are being biased. All the comparison I read about XUV vs Aria rated Aria's interior better than XUV.

Toyota recalled and replaced the faulty units(even though no incidents happened), while Tata did nothing precautionary about it and it could have cost some lives.

Thread Starter #39

Awakening this thread after a long time:-

Not just the price, but other reason is mentioned over here.
Raj,the reason you have mentioned is not only with Aria,but is with XUV too.
One owner is my own mama(mother's brother),his brand new XUV's engine is seized in just about 3000 kms.

Second is my uncle..He bought an XUV during election campaigns and threw it off even before the election,the car stalled thrice during the campaign as it wasn't able to take the beating.(Now the car can be seen at the Mahindra first choice-maybe sold because XUV is in huge demand).

Third was one more guy we met at M&M A.S.C. and he had the problem of leaking transmission oil and most of the electronics not working.And worst was that his car was blowing some alarm.

Now after seeing all this,somewhere in my mind there is an image of a half baked product:-
Rattling,boat like handling,issues with electronic components,engine seizures etc etc...
What does this all prove?

Instead the people known to me who own Aria are really saying "No issues"..

^^^ Strange! Have never read about XUVs breaking down, before this.

Still, on this topic, an average Joe trusts Mahindra more than TATA. And that is a fact. That is the reason XUV was an instant success & the Aria (even after price cuts) did not manage to shake this segment.

Overall from what I have heard from owners & from what I have read around the forums, Aria has more serious issues while the XUV has some niggles. I have never heard the mHawk having seizures! Rattling from 3rd row & electronic glitches... yes.

By the way - XUV has boat like handling? Who told you that? Are you comparing it with your Laura?

Thread Starter #41

^^^ Strange! Have never read about XUVs breaking down, before this.
Everything happens first time,no issues.

Still, on this topic, an average Joe trusts Mahindra more than TATA. And that is a fact. That is the reason XUV was an instant success & the Aria (even after price cuts) did not manage to shake this segment.
A bad name is worse than bad deeds...same is with Aria.The car is good but the name has earned a bad reputation.

Overall from what I have heard from owners & from what I have read around the forums, Aria has more serious issues while the XUV has some niggles. I have never heard the mHawk having seizures! Rattling from 3rd row & electronic glitches... yes.
Even I too have never heard about mHawk getting seized,instead after I heard the news I have been blaming the owner only,but maybe he has got a lemon.
In fact I believe the Scorpio as most reliable SUV.Why?Because it is....agree?

By the way - XUV has boat like handling? Who told you that? Are you comparing it with your Laura?
Three days back,drove one and felt the same...you need to go to Mumbai pune expressway and do the same once as you did with pintu...then see what I am saying.XUV feels like its floating on the road while Aria on the other hand feels planted.

What ever you say , Aria in flesh looks more posh than any other car in that segment.

My belief is that more complex a car from Tata , more you are inviting Troubles..

Simple cheaper Tata cars means Favorite of taxi.

I will not compare the XUV with the Pintu.

Have driven the Aria on highways, it did not feel planted. Have not taken the XUV to the highways but it felt more taut than the Aria. Ride quality is where the Aria excels over the XUV.

Anyways, to each his own.

Thread Starter #44
I will not compare the XUV with the Pintu.
Same way,I can't do with Laura or Corolla.

Have driven the Aria on highways, it did not feel planted. Have not taken the XUV to the highways but it felt more taut than the Aria. Ride quality is where the Aria excels over the XUV.
Buddy you are definitely right,XUV has really better ride and handling that Aria while doing city speeds(upto 80-90 kph).But as soon as you cross this speed,the XUV starts loosing her confidence.

Anyways, to each his own.
Haha,these words bring my temperature down by 10 degree centigrade...:biggrin:

What ever you say , Aria in flesh looks more posh than any other car in that segment.

My belief is that more complex a car from Tata , more you are inviting Troubles..

Simple cheaper Tata cars means Favorite of taxi.
Definitely +100.
Aria looks really great in white and looks really expensive too.

You are right,more the complexity Tata cars have,more they loose to market(Like Indigo XL,Sumo Grande etc etc).

Also blame the taxi market for a good dent on Tat's reputation(now even Safaris and Arias can also be spotted doing duty in taxi market)..

@Mods:Please merge the posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

TATA wanted to build a brand image in premium catagory and so made Aria feature rich compared to other cars in their stable and priced it high. Introduced only in big Cities and selected dealerships. Aria was not meant to be a mass selling car.

Like Maruti, TATA too do not have a brand image to sell premium cars and Aria was the first attempt to break the ceiling.

They made several mistakes in the process like inadequate PR work, not so proper communication and plain external styling which is almost dull from several angles and was looking much similar to Innova than a premium car.

It would have become a limited success with time.

Meantime, Mahindra identified that niche segment and seized the oppurtunity with excellent PR and marketing techniques and tasted initial success. Now they can build on that.

Further, there was a good customer base of Scorpio who has got money and willingness to upgrade. When these loyal customers saw the XUV with such never seen features in a Mahindra earlier, was excited and made Mahindra singing and laughing.

Pricing was so brilliant that it automatically lead all potential customers from the Scorpio rank to book this new car without a second thought.
Autosafari, you have summed it very well. Notorious servicing, and taxi line image, are the 2 things that hammer Tata stable. On an individual comparison, XUV wins on city drive-ability due to minimal turbo lag, but is less planted on highway speeds. On the other hand, Aria wins in the space department. I may draw some flak here, but one can call XUV a 5-6 seater sedan with pretty large boot [surprise]
A better strategy for Tata would have been testing the mill on a Sumo Grande, thereby reviving the big slow, and then launch a premium SUV. It is lack of prior strategy, and incorrect pricing that is causing problems.

Top Bottom