Which Sedan / Hatch for Budget of 7-8 Lac?

Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am a newbee to this forum as as most newbees a [confused] one

First the stats :

> Your Budget: (Rs.7 – 8 Lakh)

> New or Used: (New Car)

> Your Location: (Surendranagar - Off Ahmedabad 120 kms ) India)

> Top Five Priorities: (Safety, Comfort, Low Maintenance, Design, Luggage Space)

> Monthly Running: (Between 500 kms – 1,500 Kms)

> Type of Fuel: (Eg: Diesel)

> For What Purpose: (Regular Use, Occasional Highway Trips)

> Seating Capacity: (Maximum 5 Adults)

> Type of Segment: (Sedan / Hatch)

I am kind of zeroing in on the Swift ZDi. On road in Surendranagar is around 7.70. It has good safety features ( ABS/Dual Aig Bags ) and is a peppy to ride sans the usual intial Turbo Lag.

But still want to consider other options that I can have.

I am typically confused so a to Buy a mid range Sedan or a Top range Hatch.
Also spending so much on a Hatch sometimes seems a waste of my hard earned money [cry]

Can someone suggest what Sedans can fall in 7-8 Lakhs range, be low on maintenance with good mileage and looks.

People driving and owning Sedans kindly comment.
Also Im typically looking at using this car for 5-8 years and with my job movements need to move the car a lot. So need good service back up at the same time.

Thanks
Looking for some good insides,

Swift zdi,go ahead it fits perfectly with your requirements.

Other cars which also can be considered such as:
Swift dzire zdi.
Honda city cng.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
I am typically confused so a to Buy a mid range Sedan or a Top range Hatch. Also spending so much on a Hatch sometimes seems a waste of my hard earned money
Welcome to The Automotive India, Sgx. You should consider a Petrol car if the monthly running is going to hover more or less around 1,000 Kilometers. It is a common misconception in India that high-end hatchbacks are not worth in comparison to sedans in similar price range. However, the fact is that some premium hatchbacks can easily outperform their sedans counterparts. Given that, size or the so called ‘big-car’ image is not the only criteria.

Can someone suggest what Sedans can fall in 7-8 Lakhs range, be low on maintenance with good mileage and looks.
You have the following diesel sedan options within this budget: Tata Manza, Ford Classic, Toyota Etios, Maruti Dzire, Mahindra Verito and upcoming Chevrolet Sail. The list opens up for higher segment cars if Petrol is also in consideration: Honda City (Also available in CNG), Skoda Rapid, Hyundai Verna etc.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Just as mentioned early by 350Z, the premium hatchbacks need not be underrated with a sedan as they outperform sedans in many parameters, the main being parking space and most of the premium hatches in the current era are in par with sedans, you get almost everything in a hatchback

The resale value in consideration, then it should be a hatchback to fetch you more after 4-5 years over a sedan, however for some reasons a sedan depreciates very quick over a hatchback and that means even by a year and the current robust engines in hatchbacks outperform many sedans within 12L range

Just to be frank as a ex-sedan user - Ford Ikon, was very much satisfied with the overall build quality of the car but with nothing more to add, the swift which we own now is an extreme VFM package over the ikon which we owned earlier (even with ikon being a diesel) and more on maintenance

As you had mentioned occasional highway trips i think a premium hatch back would be the best suit for you

however, answering your question i think SX4 would be the best deal for you now if you wish it to be a sedan as its less on maintenance when compared with others on this range (followed by MSIL service network) My close mate is using a SX4 diesel for the past 2.3 years and he has never had any issues and very happy with his purchase, leaving looks apart [:D]

Last edited:
Also check in on the i20 CRDi sportz. It would cost you around the same as the swift zdi, but loaded with much more features, and is much more spacious than the swift.

The other options for you are Honda city, SX4, Renault scala/sunny , ford classic ,if u can extend your budget.

With the given budget i would say swift zdi or polo if you want to go for a hatchback.

And in sedans you can look for Tata Manza, SX4, Fiesta classic.

Also if you go for petrol than in that case you can look for Verna, Rapid and City.

if you want petrol, do add jazz to your TD list. and if you can wait till march next year, Honda's Brio diesel sedan will also be around the corner.

The Sedan may be 9L plus! Definitely, for the Diesel.
damn, that would be a dampener. Dzire diesel starts from 6.00L to 7.35L ex showroom delhi and I do not see them gathering numbers if they price the Brio sedan diesel above this price :(

Thread Starter #12
Hi,

Thanks so much every one for their valuable and quick feedback. Sorry about reverting to all your suggestions as I was really really busy with work.

Reading from all the posts that were made I have certainly some queries to shoot.

A friend of mine asked me to consider Honda City i-vtec specially as
CE Version - On road 8.10
E Version - OR 8.80
S Version - OR 9.30.

Now safety comes instantly to my mind as all city versions have all safety features exactly same. Thats quite a surprise. I might be be 'just about' looking at E version of City. Can anyone comment on maintenance costs and mileage of City car. Also how does Honda fare in resale value.

Dezire ZDi / City E versions almost same price .. in fact Im tilting towards a Dezire ZDi due to it softer ride/boot ( or the lack of it :) as I intend to use the car more for longer rides. So confused again between City/Maruti.
Specially concerned about running costs ( As City is a Petrol + Honda Spares should be on the costlier side as well as paid services )

Also adding to it the speculative new Brio Sedan. I really would want to have a look at it .. before taking a final dive.

My last budget .... has been stretched to 9 lakhs ( On road Price )

So really end up being more confused...
Again looking to all yours valuable feedback.

Thanks Again.

Hi,

Thanks so much every one for their valuable and quick feedback. Sorry about reverting to all your suggestions as I was really really busy with work.

Reading from all the posts that were made I have certainly some queries to shoot.

E Version - OR 8.80
S Version - OR 9.30.

Now safety comes instantly to my mind as all city versions have all safety features exactly same. Thats quite a surprise. I might be be 'just about' looking at E version of City. Can anyone comment on maintenance costs and mileage of City car. Also how does Honda fare in resale value.

Dezire ZDi / City E versions almost same price .. in fact Im tilting towards a Dezire ZDi due to it softer ride/boot ( or the lack of it :) as I intend to use the car more for longer rides. So confused again between City/Maruti.
Specially concerned about running costs ( As City is a Petrol + Honda Spares should be on the costlier side as well as paid services )

Also adding to it the speculative new Brio Sedan. I really would want to have a look at it .. before taking a final dive.

Thanks Again.
If you can wait for 6-8 m

Hi,

E Version - OR 8.80
S Version - OR 9.30.

Thanks Again.
If you can wait for 6-8 months than brio sedan diesel is a worth.

If your monthly running is lower than 500-700 kms than you should opt for honda city else stick to diesel dzire zdi.

Well i prefer city over dzire any day.

If you can wait for 6-8 months than brio sedan diesel is a worth.

If your monthly running is lower than 500-700 kms than you should opt for honda city else stick to diesel dzire zdi.

Well i prefer city over dzire any day.
Sanjay is right-Go for Honda City S MT sgx100.City has excellent performance due to its I-VTEC Engine and gives good FE.

Top Bottom