Which new tyres set for Tata Indica?

Thread Starter #1
hello guys, i am using tata indica dls 2005 make and has clocked 38.5k till now.The car needs new set of wheels.The current ones that came with OE are goodyear 165/60R13. I am not planning to change the rims, but the tyres and mostly thinking of going for bridgestones which are much better made then OE goodyear.Can i upsize the tyres in the same rims, if so what size can i go for.I feel width of the current tyres is pretty ok but height seems smalles, can experts suggest which brand,type, size shall i go for and its approx price quote if available.
The tata dealer suggested me to go for 165/70R13.

Re: Which new set for Tata Indica

Bridgestone is a very good decission. Go for Potenza GIIIs; looks awesome on any ride. Regarding the sizes yes you can fit any size of 13". But I really dont know any thing about your mensioned sizes.

Hey Vijay just check out the tyre size calculator and find the correct upsize for your Indica with minimal speedo and ODO errors.

Bridgestone , Yoko , Michelin are good brands.

Bridgestone is a good brand; but if you could stretch your budget, you land up with Michelin or Yokohama.

Michelin is the costliest of the lot but offers awesome grip/handling. I felt the change only after two tyres were changed to Michelin.

And for the size, I would suggest you to go for 175/70 R13 or 185/70 R13 as you have used 165/60 already. This would help you increase handling/cornering capability of your ride.

Cost difference would not be more than 250 to 300 per tyre for each profile upgrade (i mean 165 to 175).

My Michelin XM1+ 185/70 R13s cost me 4200 per tyre.

Thread Starter #6
Bridgestone is a good brand; but if you could stretch your budget, you land up with Michelin or Yokohama.

Michelin is the costliest of the lot but offers awesome grip/handling. I felt the change only after two tyres were changed to Michelin.

And for the size, I would suggest you to go for 175/70 R13 or 185/70 R13 as you have used 165/60 already. This would help you increase handling/cornering capability of your ride.

Cost difference would not be more than 250 to 300 per tyre for each profile upgrade (i mean 165 to 175).

My Michelin XM1+ 185/70 R13s cost me 4200 per tyre.

Hey mate thank you for your reply. Regarding upsizing you suggested, well yes 175/70 is there but not sure about 185/70 rather the size available is 175/60 and 185/60. Currently i am using 165/65 R13 with 77T. Mostly i was thinking to upsize with 175/70 but then few people suggested thats a wrong size, and i should go for 185/60. Getting confused.

Regarding tyre prices, Bstone dealer quoted me with 3200 to 3800 for different thread pattern. Even Yokos are near to BS range, so lets see what i shall opt for. I have heard Bridgestone GIII are noisy tyres and not upto the quality, though not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey Vijay,

i do not see anything wrong with the 175/70 profile which I have in my ikon. They are quite good.

just a thought came up! If you are deciding to go for 175/70 R13, i can give you my two 3 months old Bridgestone tyres which are doing the duty currently as rear tyres for my ikon.

Reason being, I will be able to go for an all 185/all Michelin setup!
Will be of much meaning to give it to a co-member instead of selling them out to some outsider.

Thread Starter #8
hey thankyou for your help buddy, really appreciate it but seems im a bit late for that offer.Already have opted for BS S322 series tube type as tubeless was not possible on my steel rims.Changed 4 tyres which were of real bad shape of goodyear make which came as OE fitment.AFter changing them, there's huge difference in ride quality, tyre nosie and handling of my car.Just a question, 4 tyres which i changed are 175/70 R13 bridgestone.5th one is left with my stock tyre of goodyear, one was kept which seemed to be a better of 5.Wont it make issue when it would replace the punctured tyre as size would differ, shall i retain this same goodyear 165/65 tyre as spare or replace with another BS 175/70 one.

Congrats Vijay.
The 5th OE tire can be safely used, however i would personally recommend you to change it to similar profile now. Since it has not been used much, you will get good amount for it.

Congratulations Vijay , newer tyres are always better than OE tyres!

@ Akash But if the tyres are older you wont get good value for that tyre even though its unused.

Thread Starter #11
Congrats Vijay.
The 5th OE tire can be safely used, however i would personally recommend you to change it to similar profile now. Since it has not been used much, you will get good amount for it.
Congratulations Vijay , newer tyres are always better than OE tyres!

@ Akash But if the tyres are older you wont get good value for that tyre even though its unused.
thankyou guys, yes new tyres are surely better and that to be if OE tyres are from goodyear,jk like manufacturers.Regarding 5th tyre i wont get much better value then 200 or 250 bucks as its old as well for around 39K's. What i am getting confused is that if i am stucked with a punctured tyre anywhere and i have to use spare wheel, then its size differes then other three, wont it effect the bearings, bushes as the profile is lower to current set of new wheels.

@Vijay, that's great buddy! We will always find considerable amount of difference when we upgrade to a better size![thumbsup]

You will feel the real difference in case of turns at faster speed, stability & braking performance.

As for the spare tyre, you can use the same. It will not cause any problems like the ones you have mentioned above. But make sure you use it only as a spare for emergency purposes alone!

Also, do wheel alignment/rotation at regular intervals. That will increase the life of the tyres to some extent!

The spare tyre in my ikon is the one which came with the car in 2001 and it has not been used even once till now[evil]

By good amount i dont mean a hefty amount, but a decent sum. Vijay will have to change the 5th tire when it goes bald, so its better to change it now and get the best ride quality. I feel the stepny tire must be in good condition since you never know when a puncture is going to happen!

Thread Starter #14
Akash, HS thankyou guys for suggestions.I am still in same dilema as before regarding 5th tyre.My friend who's working at TASS and also owns it says dont worry with 5th one, carry on till you can and no damage would be done.Lets see how it goes.

Top Bottom