Which new SUV???

Thread Starter #17
Well cooldhaya, you already mentioned everything why i am not considering captiva!

1) no rear AC vents - not accepted in a 22 lakh car at all. it will be mostly chauffer driven, so whats the point if my dad or bro is sweating in the rear seats in peak mumbai summer? remember, it has leather seats!

2) the facelifted captiva is coming - why buy an outdated car? when we, auto enthusiasts, have so much knowledge and access to such info, why should WE make the same mistakes made by a layman?

3) Chevy's A.S.S - imagine getting thrown around after plonking 22 lakhs! I am sure hyundai's service is better.

Coming to the fortuner, we are never gonna take the car off road. so why plonk that much money on a full blown SUV with full time 4WD which is only going to be used on city roads with occasional highway drives? does that makes sense? why not invest that money on a better urban SUV with more comfort & features?

Hmm, i am confused -

1) Brand image or Features?
2) Good A.S.S or stonker engine?
3) Brawny butch looks or clean & contemporary urban SUV?

Ha ha ya , anyways mentioned Captiva because who knows maybe the facelifted Captiva may have rear AC vents and also because you have mentioned you are in no hurry. But still Chevy's weak A.S.S network is a cause of worry.

If i were you , since i am satisfied with Hyundai's A.S.S i would pick up Santa-Fe. Toyota is also good but i cannot wait 8-9 weeks for a car! How much waiting period does Santa-Fe have in Mumbai?

I think Aria would be the perfect choice for you if not for the TATA badge!

Thread Starter #19
Ha ha ya , anyways mentioned Captiva because who knows maybe the facelifted Captiva may have rear AC vents and also because you have mentioned you are in no hurry. But still Chevy's weak A.S.S network is a cause of worry.
yes, we can wait for the facelifted Captiva, when is it's tentative launch?

If i were you , since i am satisfied with Hyundai's A.S.S i would pick up Santa-Fe. Toyota is also good but i cannot wait 8-9 weeks for a car! How much waiting period does Santa-Fe have in Mumbai?
I have not yet enquired about the Santa Fe.

I think Aria would be the perfect choice for you if not for the TATA badge!
No, thank you! [:)]

Well even am not sure about the launch date. TD Santa-Fe once and see if you like it , i don think it will have huge waiting periods. Else you have no other choice other than Fortuner!

imho in india presently nothing comes near toyota fortuner its the best one . i havent driven one though.

have driven toyota hylux 4wd 45k.km and shockingly i found fortuner shares everything from it but for the additional food finish.

hylux driven was not much inspiring considering the engine noise ,and engine vibration all over especially on gear lever . as mentioned everywhere about weak body the rattling issues were prominent while closing doors (but could not hear them while on the move ) the ride quality was alright with soft steering.i could not enjoy the driver seat or position , it was neither sporty no comfort kind somewhere in middle bit awkward. felt i have to place my legs too much horizontally to reach the paddles probably due to low seats for high GC.
weird but true the breaks were too much spongy. felt as if the transmission has some kind of leak , had to push a long way for sudden stops.
just sharing, hope it would be helpful in someway.

Thread Starter #24
As i mentioned here, we need a 'urban' SUV & i doubt fortuner fits in that tag. People buy the fortuner for it's looks & 'big car' image & of course the toyota brand. I wish for a car which will suit our needs the most.

Coming to the fortuner, we are never gonna take the car off road. so why plonk that much money on a full blown SUV with full time 4WD which is only going to be used on city roads with occasional highway drives? does that makes sense? why not invest that money on a better urban SUV with more comfort & features?
Lets see, i have not driven a fortuner or Santa Fe yet.

BMW X1 is not being considered as it is too small, interiors are cramped & its a strict 5 seater. Also, BMW's service & spares would be too expensive.

Raj , i think somebody must design a new car for you then!:lol!:

CR-V , Grand Vitara and Outlander fits your bill perfectly but sadly all are petrol engines or 5-seaters!

The next best urban SUV would be Yeti but you din like it! I think the next best option is Santa-Fe if you are neglecting the Fortuner.

CR-V , Grand Vitara and Outlander fits your bill perfectly but sadly all are petrol engines or 5-seaters!
the truth is they are all built for foreign countries and those brand reputation pulls them down to india literally exploiting indians.

raj is on right track ..
kudos to raj and it is much inspiring to note his consciousness when it comes to vehicle !!

unfortunately he is also in same dilemma where most indian get lost whom look for a quality vehicle.
sadly home grown products do not exist on a par .
let us hope for the best.

As i mentioned here, we need a 'urban' SUV & i doubt fortuner fits in that tag. People buy the fortuner for it's looks & 'big car' image & of course the toyota brand. I wish for a car which will suit our needs the most.
I agree with you. However let me tell you that my suggestion of Fortuner is not just because of it brand image. Since this SUV is intended for use by your parents, i feel it should have good comfort levels(in addition to safety ofcourse), and out of the SUVs shortlisted by you, nothing beats Fortuner on the mentioned stands( I have personally checked all of them except Santa FE and Nissan XTrail).

@raj_5004

buddy i dunno if the waiting period is so long in mumbai, here in lucknow we are getting a delivery wait of 1-2 months and moreover here i have contacts by which i can get it within a week but apart from all that, buy a car frm outside mumbai or may be outside maharastra and get registration done from maharastra, if u wanna buy fortuner though i personally hav an inclination towards outlander, but fortuner has a beastly lookin suv for which i luv it, CRV you dont like again because of 5 seater+petrol. neways i would suggest go for fortuner frm somewhere else in india.

Thread Starter #30
Raj , i think somebody must design a new car for you then!:lol!:

The next best urban SUV would be Yeti but you din like it! I think the next best option is Santa-Fe if you are neglecting the Fortuner.
certainly we need to build new SUV for raj [lol]
LOL, seriously! Why cant Mitsu offer a diesel motor in the Outlander? it would have been perfect for us...

I saw the Yeti in flesh & even i have to agree that it "looks" too small for a 17 lakh car.

I hard to convince my bro to plonk 26 lakhs in a hyundai.

He is also reluctant to pay a premium for the fortuner (which is good) & also not willing to wait for 8-9 months.

My dad recommends to wait till April-May 2011 when the fortuner's waiting period may come down. I feel thats a better idea since by then some new vehicles may also be launched like Mahindra W201, Pajero Sport & all new captiva.

the truth is they are all built for foreign countries and those brand reputation pulls them down to india literally exploiting indians.

raj is on right track ..
kudos to raj and it is much inspiring to note his consciousness when it comes to vehicle !!

unfortunately he is also in same dilemma where most indian get lost whom look for a quality vehicle.
sadly home grown products do not exist on a par .
let us hope for the best.
Thanks buddy. As per my understanding, the kind of terrain the fortuner is built for, we are not going to use it in that way. The huge GC & full time 4WD is of no use to us. Infact it would be a nuisance to us as the huge GC means my elderly parents would find it difficult to climb 'onto' the SUV & the full time 4WD means it would be heavily gulping diesel, more than necessary.

thats the reason i am insisting on a urban SUV like the Santa Fe & Outlander which are more suited to our city & well paved highway drives with occasional bad roads.

I agree with you. However let me tell you that my suggestion of Fortuner is not just because of it brand image. Since this SUV is intended for use by your parents, i feel it should have good comfort levels(in addition to safety ofcourse), and out of the SUVs shortlisted by you, nothing beats Fortuner on the mentioned stands( I have personally checked all of them except Santa FE and Nissan XTrail).
Is comfort of fortuner better than innova? As per reviews on net, many say that the innova is far more comfortable than the fortuner. Also, innova has a better ride than the fortuner.

I feel in safety, fortuner has only 2 airbags & ABS. while the competition offers 6 airbags, ABS + EBD + TCS + Roll over protection & what not, at the same price.

Hmmm, its tough to convince my bro. He is going easy & not in a hurry & thats a good thing.

Expect this thread to run for quite some months with regular updates!

@raj_5004

buddy i dunno if the waiting period is so long in mumbai, here in lucknow we are getting a delivery wait of 1-2 months and moreover here i have contacts by which i can get it within a week but apart from all that, buy a car frm outside mumbai or may be outside maharastra and get registration done from maharastra, if u wanna buy fortuner though i personally hav an inclination towards outlander, but fortuner has a beastly lookin suv for which i luv it, CRV you dont like again because of 5 seater+petrol. neways i would suggest go for fortuner frm somewhere else in india.
really? is that possible? If i buy a vehicle from outside maharashtra & register it in mumbai, I will have to pay Octroi (i think 12%) right?

Top Bottom