Which Diesel Sedan? Between Rs: 14L to 18L/-

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

My Uncle is in a confussion to decide between Cruze,Altis and Fluence..? ( you may wanna include your suggestions as well..)
For some reason, he has already ruled out Verna Fludic, Laura and Jetta

Top Features sought are:
-Good Build Quality
-Premium Feel
-Better ride quality & handling

Please give your suggestions.Thanks.

-Kalyan

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Which Diesel Sedan..? Between Rs:14L to 18L/-

Can you please answer the questions from this thread? It will help us to advice better. Thanks.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3

Budget:Rs :18Lakhs/-
Top 5 Priorities: Good Build Quality; Premium Feel, Better ride quality & handling
Monthly Running: Car will be used mainly in City roads and also a good amount of usage on highways as well. 2000kms a month is easy for him.
Max. Seating Capacity: 4
Priority of Fuel Type: Diesel
Body Type : Sedan

Hi vkkalyan,

Any specific reason why your uncle left out laura??
Well, Diesel rocket Cruze has a sheer driving pleasure. Doesn't have enough space in that price tag.
In my opinion Altis wont give you a premiums look as it already has a taxi tag in market. You want a 1.4L stuff. Not at all
Not sure about the Fluence though. I personally dont like that 1.5L 100bhp mill for that price tag.

U can check out Hyundai sonata transform. Will give you premium feel and better ride quality.

Last edited:

Hey kalyan ask your uncle to wait for a few months , new Jetta is just around the car. Its coming with an all new engine with increased power output and some new features too. I have driven the current Jetta and it has all your requirements , so am sure the new one will be even better.

I would never buy Altis , lacks the premium feel and not much fun to drive. Fluence is still new to the market so no comments.

If the car is urgent i would suggest you to look at Laura again , the best driver's car in this price! Cruze is also really good but as Marun said space is not something which i liked about Cruze. You don't want to feel cramped after spending 15Lakhs do you? But if your uncle is just average build and height Cruze should be perfect!

Sonata transforrm i would avoid as new i45 is being tested constantly.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

@Marun : Is Cruze really that bad..? (Well my uncle is average build); What about ASS and mileage ?

@Dhaya : The 1st option we had was Jetta but since we are not sure when the new version is gonna come, we had to drop it. But i think he can wait for 2 months.

We are kind of not OK to go for Skoda, you guys know the reason..! (Also i feel driving my Fabia in city is hard, i mean the steering is not that soft.I get shoulder's pain if i drive 25+kms at a stretch. Not sure abt Laura though..)

Yday he has seen Fluence and Altis, Among them He liked Altis.The waiting period for Altis is 2 months.

so the decission is yet to be finalised. Any more thoughts pls...? Thanks again.

Last edited:

Cruze is not bad , its an amazing car for that price and an awesome performer! With 150BHP under the hood it can rake up speeds in excess of 200kmph but in some of the reviews i heard handling is not good enough though straight line stability is good enough even at high speeds. Chevy's A.S.S is okay kinda , but being a new car you should not be facing any problem for the first 3 years atleast. For average build people Cruze should have enough space , i am 6'3" tall and i found Cruze cramped , i absolutely cannot fit in the rear seat! Jetta has better space compared to Cruze and IMO interiors are better in Jetta. Cruze gives around 10kmpl inside and 15-16kmpl in highways depending on driving.

You can't go wrong with Altis , though it looks plain boring and not much fun to drive being a Toyota its the most reliable of all the above cars considered and cost of ownership must be the minimum of all the above cars. And also Altis has amazing FE.

My personal suggestion , wait for the new Jetta , its just around the corner. Dealers have already stopped bookings for the current Jetta and giving away the old stocks for now.

Hi Kalyan,

I didn't mean Cruze is bad :)
The rear leg room is a bit cramped in Cruze. Apart from that, handling, driving pleasure are great in Cruze.
Seating 4 means 2 at the rear seat wont be that bad. Better ask your uncle to TD Cruze. He being average build may like Cruze.
As far as I know, ASS shouldn't be a problem for Cruze. You may get 14 with AC and not very sure about this though.

@Marun : Is Cruze really that bad..? (Well my uncle is average build); What about ASS and mileage ?

@Dhaya : The 1st option we had was Jetta but since we are not sure when the new version is gonna come, we had to drop it. But i think he can wait for 2 months.

We are kind of not OK to go for Skoda, you guys know the reason..!

Yday he has seen Fluence and Altis, Among them He liked Altis.The waiting period for Altis is 2 months.

so the decission is yet to be finalised. Any more thoughts pls...? Thanks again.

350Z

Core Team

Kalyan, Thanks for elaborating on the requirements. I would say that Hyundai Sonata Transform is arguably an excellent choice for this kind of requirements. Not only it has premium interiors (unlike previous model Embera) but also the car is relatively wallet-friendlier along with hassle-free Hyundai after sales. The only pullback is that it does not enjoy a premium brand tag for the premium price in India. The next best option is Volkswagen Jetta. However, it is important to note that both the cars, Sonata and Jetta, are now due for a replacement maximum by this year end. So it will be a better bet overall if your uncle can wait for a while. If he cannot wait, then I would simply recommend the Chevrolet Cruze. Although Fluence is a perfect car too but consider it only if you can take a chance with the new innings of Renault in India. Of course, with time they are only going to improve. But initially, the widespread network like that of Hyundai and Chevrolet will be missed. Please ask him to take a look at Test Drives Section of our forum for the reviews of some of these cars.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom