Yes i see normally people sitting in front with kid on the lap, IMO its pretty dangerous. Wish it doesn't happen to anyone, but if car is hit or in case emergency brake, kid is prone to get injured most.
I purchased the Britax ADVOCATE 70-G3 child seat. It is expensive but rich on safety features. Detail report on purchase and user review in this post.
Compared to shops, I found much better prices and variety in online deals especially during clearance season. Some good brands are Graco, Chicco and Britax. Some advice for selecting car seat:
0. First read car seat requirements and recommendations from independent bodies like AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics). Or these car-safety.org guidelines.
1. Look at baby's age and plan well into future. Ideally, your car seat investment should last you till 5 years.
2. Before purchasing, visit manufacturer website and download online pdf manual to confirm what is the weight, length of baby that the car seat can support. Usually there are min and max for weight and baby length. If the car seat is convertible (rear+forward facing), then the ratings will be different based on what position it is in.
3. Confirm if your car seat belts are compatible with your car seat. Eg. some car seats are not compatible with motorized, automatic seat belts.
4. If you plan to change your car in near future, make sure your seat will be compatible with your future car too.
5. ISOFIX/LATCH is a new global standard for attaching child seat. This is supposed to be safer than conventional seat belt attachment. If your car supports the former, look for seats that support it.
My research indicated that there are no seats which cater to that large an age bracket.
Once the baby starts sitting up, it is a different configuration.
But this seat looks like a good option!!
Travelling on a mother's lap can be made safer if you ensure that the mother and child is always on the back seat, and the mother belts up under the baby.
Hi all! I'm looking for a new car seat for my 6 months old daughter. I'm looking for a convertible seat that supports upto 13kg-18kg. I have a few questions:
1. My Jetta has ISOFIX but none of our other cars do. Considering it is the safer option, if I get a seat with ISOFIX can it be also used with seat belts on our other cars? I tried asking this with local baby shops and they have no idea what ISOFIX is.
2. Which brand to go for? One side, there are many brands that cost around 5-6k and then we have chicco that costs over 14k.