Which Cellphone Carrier for 3G Data?

Thread Starter #16
Currently replying using Vodafone 3G, the speed I am getting is 180 Kbps.
Which is a worst speed when compared to BSNL which gives 3Mbps.
The switching is to Airtel network then to Vodafone.[anger]

This is what most people say. Though I don't have a 3G plan on my BSNL, I plan to get it soon. I think BSNL is the cheapest and with best coverage. Idea is also not bad (at least in Goa-Maharashtra).
Just upgraded to 3G sim cards for myself and my wife. Mine was activated in 30 mins. My wife's took a couple of hours but the 3G plan is not active.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I can't remember in which thread i was discussing if i'll be charged internet charges while roaming.

I'm out of delhi right now and there's no internet charge while roaming but but there's no 3G [anger] so i guess what mukesh said has been implemented.

Hey guys do you suggest buying a 3G modem from service provider?
They seem to be sold at higher prices compared to a unlocked 3G modems sold on websites like this:

Buy New ZTE K3770-Z Vodafone Unlock 3G USB Dongle | Modem | Datacard | Universal | eBay

Is there any particular brand or model of modem I should go for? Is it worth spending more on 21 mpbs modems?

Thanks.
it is worth the money provided you get a replacement warranty from the dealer.

also no 3g provider gives you true unlimited data. some have speed capped , others have restrictions.

so if you intend to use it for your internet needs 24x7 then its worth it. else a normal 3g phone would suffice.

I use Airtel 3G datacard. The plan is unlimited data for Rs 750 monthly rental (5GB data at 3G speed and then at 2G speeds). Speed is good but there are frequent disruptions in the connectivity.

For mobile I use !dea, speed and connectivity are both good.

Hi superbad, I was asking whether buying a 21mbps modem over the 7mbps modem [about 1k price diference] will be cost effective since as of right now even the best providers are only giving average 4 mbps speeds.

Hi scarface thanks for sharing. By 2G speed are you getting Edge[2.5G] speed or regular 2G speed? Right now I only have BSNL 3G coverge and they give out 4mbps speeds on 3G and 190kbps on 2G.

Also if some of you could list your experience with particular models or brand of modems in terms of speed, quality of connection and price, it would be really help full.

Is it possible to network this type of internet connection?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi scarface thanks for sharing. By 2G speed are you getting Edge[2.5G] speed or regular 2G speed? Right now I only have BSNL 3G coverge and they give out 4mbps speeds on 3G and 190kbps on 2G.

Thanks.
2G connection shows as EDGE but it is extremely slow, almost kind of useless. I use smartbytes to top up some more 3G data in case I exhaust my 5 GB limit.

Hi superbad, I was asking whether buying a 21mbps modem over the 7mbps modem [about 1k price diference] will be cost effective since as of right now even the best providers are only giving average 4 mbps speeds.

Also if some of you could list your experience with particular models or brand of modems in terms of speed, quality of connection and price, it would be really help full.

Is it possible to network this type of internet connection?

Thanks.
the extra investment is worth only if your 3g network supports that speeds.
Reliance 3G used to support that speed initially. But offlate have been hearing that the network is capping speeds.
Earlier had heard of an huawei UMG 1831 which was known to work for longer durations of time without any problems.

Haven't kept track of newer modems since the plans had got pretty lame now.

FYI i use a nokia C5-00 as a modem from november 2010 for my internet needs and i have never felt the need for a modem.
One should look for it if one is going to use the modem for seeding the torrents. Else a cheap 3g phone should be better because it will have standard warranty.

Thread Starter #28
Finally Vodafone acknowledges that there is some issue with 3G especially on Apple IP 4 and 4S.

Today i got a call from appellate authority that they will refund me the 3G recharges, i have done.

It took them 7 months to acknowledge the same.

The moment i was tweeting on their every ad of Vodafone in Twitter, they took it seriously and they have started following me.[lol]

The last thing is will switch over to Airtel 3G.

I am fed up of this slow 3G from Vodafone and network coverage.

I have shifted from 2G to 3G mobile plan after buying L620 as it is 499 plan with 600minutes free calls & 3G free upto 2GB. I am using 3G in roaming Mumbai and is really pretty fast and even I had the connectivity most of the time traveling from Hyderabad to Mumbai in train

edit: it is airtel[lol]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #30
Guys i ported to Airtel a month ago.

Now happy with the 3G speed on Airtel.

I get around 6.5 - 7.5 mbps speed.

One let down is not many good plans for calling, and pricey.

Now i am on 3G plan of 148/- which gives 500 MB 3G Data + 500 2G Data valid for 1 month.

My usage currently fits well in this plan.

For navigation you can use Edge mode(2G), for browsing 3G.

The plan before porting was good, within 1 month they removed 27 Re plan.

Which A-A was 20ps, A-O 40 ps.

Now i am in 97/- plan, which is better than all other available plan for calling.

Top Bottom