Which Car To Buy? Swift 2012: VXI OR VDI

Which car to buy swift 2012 :VXI OR VDI

• Total voters
Hi,

I am planning to buy a new swift so i am totally confused which one to buy VXI OR VDI . In a month i would driving around 500 to 800 kms. Please suggest me which one i should go for.
[:)]
dileeprn, the MJD 1.3 engine in a diesel swift is one of the best diesel engines in the world. It is made by FIAT which also propels the Punto. Believe me, you will simply love it. Also the ever increasing price of petrol may soon prove the math of ''savings on a petrol car'' wrong. And you being in bangalore, the price of petrol will surely make you think !

Hi dilip,

facing same issues confused between diesel and petrol
because petrol cost is almost twice or diesel and petrol vxi doesn't give mileage claimed by diesel variant vdi
however price difference between both is 150K

so if you are driving around 1500kms a month
that means you consume the 150K in almost 2 years in terms of filling petrol i.e if petrol stays at the price it's now or goes less
and I don't think our government is so good that it will lessen or keep the price stable over the next year

looking at current scenario even next month is un predictable

if diesel maintenance is maybe few extra bucks then i would go for diesel rather than petrol ,
I would want to visit workshop and also consult my mechanic for honest opinions of diesel maintenance

if diesel maintenance is maybe few extra bucks then i would go for diesel rather than petrol ,
I would want to visit workshop and also consult my mechanic for honest opinions of diesel maintenance
Brother, you've posted four successive comments in all of eleven minutes. In future, kindly form a single post irrespective of the length, or number of replies until you exhaust the limit. Don't keep adding posts one after the other.

Hi threeace777,

Welcome to TAI, you are worried about the cost of petrol momentarily & want to settle down to diesel but in the long run you ll end up paying the same difference amount on a diesel car, I would better enjoy my drive than rather counting difference amount as my running is some where around 500kms/month or even less, but to keep you informed you need to calculate the usage of your car per month, how long will you hold it for, then probably you might have a better understanding about which variant to choose, I have a VXI & we recently added a RITZ VDI to our family, the main motive behind adding it was it has a daily running close to 30-50kms/day so anything which is nearest to this mark I would support your diesel stand, but double check infact triple check the expenses & life of the vehicle. My brother is planning to get a PUNTO shortly & for sure it will be a PETROL!! Keep Us posted about you new buy. Good Luck Mate[:)]

Happy Motoring[clap]
Santosh.V

Hi Santosh V,

Thanks for your inputs.
My query to you would be
1. what is your VXI giving AC on in city ?
2. if 90 kms daily run with petrol VXI is justified than why would anyone go for diesel ?
3. what expenses and life of vehicle I should triple check before i go for diesel ?

On an average my petrol/CNG M 800 is serviced every 7 - 8k kms or 6 months which ever is earlier
my service cost for the same comes to around INR 2000 - 2500 which includes engine oil, oil filter, air filter, service labour and wheel alignment
I have never owned a diesel which would run about the same and therefore unaware of maintenance charges which folks speak off loud across discussions

in case you have kept a diesel kindly throw some light on maintenance charges which primarily includes oil change, oil and air filter change, labour cost and wheel alignment
other than these does diesel require a special catering ?

Hi Santosh V,

Thanks for your inputs.
My query to you would be
1. what is your VXI giving AC on in city ?
2. if 90 kms daily run with petrol VXI is justified than why would anyone go for diesel ?
3. what expenses and life of vehicle I should triple check before i go for diesel ?

On an average my petrol/CNG M 800 is serviced every 7 - 8k kms or 6 months which ever is earlier
my service cost for the same comes to around INR 2000 - 2500 which includes engine oil, oil filter, air filter, service labour and wheel alignment
I have never owned a diesel which would run about the same and therefore unaware of maintenance charges which folks speak off loud across discussions

in case you have kept a diesel kindly throw some light on maintenance charges which primarily includes oil change, oil and air filter change, labour cost and wheel alignment
other than these does diesel require a special catering ?
Well let me answer you in the same sequence.

1. I hope you are looking for mileage? I get a decent 14+ in city with AC & 17+ on highways, It purely depends on driving & trust me I am not a sedate driver[:D]IF its a sedate driver the number will get better.
2. In my post I mentioned if somebody using 30-50kms/day diesel is worth the bet.
3. Very simple dude, try to check this, I might agree modern diesel engines are best in class with technology but carbon deposit for diesel engines are still on the higher side, think about turbo lag, think about cabin/engine noise which will continue to increase with age of car, if you plan to keep a car for long (read 5-6 years) petrol is having less pinch on your pocket, there are a lot other factors to consider.

In simple if petrol cars are serviced at 8-10k kms interval, for diesel its simply half that is every 4-5k kms a service is required, parts for diesel engines are quiet high compared to petrol ones. Hope this clears the confusion for you[:)]

Santosh V

dileeprn

i think santosh has summarized it very precisely. this should give you a start
to clear any confusions checkout my thread on ddis vs multijet

I heard that unlike old swift, new swift petrol (with VVT) has poor low end torque which will be painful to drive in traffic. Need to change gears frequently. Can anyone confirm this? In that case Swift diesel will be a good option in city driveability

I heard that unlike old swift, new swift petrol (with VVT) has poor low end torque which will be painful to drive in traffic. Need to change gears frequently. Can anyone confirm this? In that case Swift diesel will be a good option in city driveability
About the low end torque not being upto mark is true but as far as my experience goes with my Swift Vx, I drive in bumper to bumper each evening while going back home for good 3 Kms where the maximum I can reach is 10 Kmph, getting into the second gear not more than half of the time. In such a scenario, a very high low end torque doesn't serve any purpose is what I feel as you would be clutch riding it for most of the time then. I'm not justifying the poor low end torque of the Swift, but it is something you can live with and not whine for once.

Regarding Swift D, with a huge amount of turbo lag, that sure would feel lethargic in bumper to bumper traffic.

Top Bottom