Which Car To Buy? Swift 2012: VXI OR VDI

Which car to buy swift 2012 :VXI OR VDI

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Hi,

I am planning to buy a new swift so i am totally confused which one to buy VXI OR VDI . In a month i would driving around 500 to 800 kms. Please suggest me which one i should go for.
[:)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Which car to buy Swift 2012: VXI OR VDI

well , you should go for the petrol. your maximum daily commute will be just 30 kms. no point in buying a diesel.

price difference between vxi and vdi is more than 1 lakh.

so you'll cover your money , say in 3-4 years if you buy a diesel. not a good option.

just don't look at the price of diesel and petrol but price on the long run.

if you finance your car , you have to pay extra interest for the 100000rs. and if you buy the petrol and the remaining 100000 you inverst , you will get interest [;)]

diesel maintenance is high. if petrol's service is around 1500rs , diesel's service will be between 5000-6000.

so my opinion go for vxi.

I would suggest you a diesel if you plan to run that amount of kms. With the rising prices of petrol, diesel makes more sense.

Bangalore Fuel prices are the highest(so are our taxes) & if you are driving more than 600km on avg Then diesel is the way,but you need to make a careful consideration of the price you are paying.

2012 Swift Vxi-5,94,141
2012 Swift vdi-7,31,627

"Diesel cars maintenance cost is high"
I dont agree with this statement. Infact today's diesel engines are highly advanced, and dont need much maintenance. Proper usage will let you have a economical ownership, compared to equivalent petrol cars. IMO, diesel engines are always better than petrol engine.
But in your case, buying a ZDI is an issue. It will take ages to get its delivery. Look out for other options as well. There are better cars available. Swift ZDI is a good car, but not as good, worth waiting for months...

Petrol all the way buddy. With that less monthly running, it hardly warrants a diesel.

Check the diesel decider on : Cartoq – Honest Car Advice

I cant' believe I am answering the same question on 2 different threads in less than a minute. [:)]

freakdude.

PETROL car i.e VXi, as your running is very less, Just as @allhyundaicars had pointed out, the time taken to recover that extra 1 lakh rs will be around 4 yrs + hence why waste that extra 1 lakh rs ? spend it on something fruitful. I would also like to suggest you to opt for an ABS wala model if your buget permits.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

I would suggest you a diesel if you plan to run that amount of kms. With the rising prices of petrol, diesel makes more sense.
believe me , 800 is not a much distance to be covered in a month. its not even 30kms per day.

i have seen many reviewers saying to buy a diesel only if your daily commute is above 60 kms.

Bangalore Fuel prices are the highest(so are our taxes) & if you are driving more than 600km on avg Then diesel is the way,but you need to make a careful consideration of the price you are paying.

2012 Swift Vxi-5,94,141
2012 Swift vdi-7,31,627
thanks for posting the latest prices. so price difference will be around 1,50,000 and not 1,00,000.
"Diesel cars maintenance cost is high"
I dont agree with this statement. Infact today's diesel engines are highly advanced, and dont need much maintenance. Proper usage will let you have a economical ownership, compared to equivalent petrol cars. IMO, diesel engines are always better than petrol engine.
But in your case, buying a ZDI is an issue. It will take ages to get its delivery. Look out for other options as well. There are better cars available. Swift ZDI is a good car, but not as good, worth waiting for months...
yes , i agree the engines today are advanced. but diesel maintenance cost is higher than the petrol.

i'm just talking about normal oil change. regular maintenance.

and many people say petrol engines are better than the diesel. but everyone has their opinion [:)]

and he's buying a vxi \ vdi. but looking at his budget he may get zdi petrol variant at the price of diesel vdi.

i was confused between i20 crdi and swift vdi. but in the end i chose verna petrol just because my monthly usage was just 900 kms.

to all the members -please just don't look at the current price of diesel and petrol. its a long term investment so please consider long term costs involved

PETROL car i.e VXi, as your running is very less, Just as @allhyundaicars had pointed out, the time taken to recover that extra 1 lakh rs will be around 4 yrs + hence why waste that extra 1 lakh rs ? spend it on something fruitful. I would also like to suggest you to opt for an ABS wala model if your buget permits.
like prads posted the new prices. difference is now 1,50,000.

and he can get a zdi petrol variant ( top model having abs , ebd , airbags ) at the price of diesel vdi (middle variant )

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9

Hi , I have 1 more doubt . . If i go for petrol VXI model . .what would be mileage i would be getting in City and Highway :)

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Hi , I have 1 more doubt . . If i go for petrol VXI model . .what would be mileage i would be getting in City and Highway :)
its better if someone having a swift vxi reply to you on this. but i'm guessing 10-13 in city with AC on.

and on highway's maybe 14-16.

Dileeprn,

In your case, with a running of a mere 800 Km a month, it won't be advisable to go for a diesel one. Like one fellow mentioned above, you'll end up paying Rs. 1,20,000/= extra + interest on this amount (should be approximately ~ Rs. 50,000 for a 3 year loan of Rs. 1,20,000/= extra). But wait, we haven't calculated the opportunity cost yet that you would lose by NOT investing that Rs. 120K which by just putting it into FD would yield a minimum 9% i.e. ~ Rs. 33,000 for 3 years. Net net, you lose a good Rs. 80,000 in just interests (haven't included Rs. 120K since a part of it would be claimed when you sell off the car).

I have a running of 1000Kms a month, yet bought Swift Vx, owing to the fact that it's super silent when compared to the VD, also because of the aspect mentioned above.

Go for the Diesel if and only if you like the punch of the diesel engine, that push back into the seat feel which definitely the VD provides. However, VX won't disappointment you either, the engine is a gem and will provide driving pleasures for sure, barring the once in a fortnight shocker at your nearest gas station.

Do note, the VX gives around 13 to Litre with 100% A/C in typical Delhi traffic, although the MID shows a healthy 14.6Kmpl.

believe me , 800 is not a much distance to be covered in a month. its not even 30kms per day.
That "30 kms" mark is an age old concept. With petrol prices hovering at 75 Rs. per litre and difference between cost of petrol and diesel ever increasing, diesel makes more sense for 30 kms.

Actually I advise people to go for petrol if their daily running is around 15 kms or max less than 20 kms.

Also, resale value of diesel is more and even fuel efficiency is more. Modern diesels are not heavy on maintainence too.

You will easily recover the premium you paid for diesel in around 3 years. The rest is bonus.

I am have Swift ZXi 1.3 petrol(old). We have a daily run of around 40km. It will return you a mileage of 10-13 in city. On highways it would get you good mileage figure if you are a sedative driver if you are a speed thirsty it would stick with the same figures as in the city. If you are concerned about you petrol bills stick with diesel.

Hi,

I am planning to buy a new swift so i am totally confused which one to buy VXI OR VDI . In a month i would driving around 500 to 800 kms. Please suggest me which one i should go for.
[:)]
If your budget allows go for the ZDi. If I am to choose I would either go for LDi or else ZDi. VDi offers some feature but I feel it to be VFM only when MSIL provide ABS with the VDi variant.
Anyways the Fiat multijet Diesel powering the Swift as we all know is a Gem.
Seeing the sky rocketing petrol prices I would suggest you to go for diesel. If you can't stretch your budget try the Swift Ldi or else if you can stretch a bit more than VDi , blindly go for Swift ZDi !

Last edited:

and many people say petrol engines are better than the diesel. but everyone has their opinion [:)]

and he's buying a vxi \ vdi. but looking at his budget he may get zdi petrol variant at the price of diesel vdi.

i was confused between i20 crdi and swift vdi. but in the end i chose verna petrol just because my monthly usage was just 900 km
Both petrol engines and diesel engines are very reliable. But , I would still say present day diesel engines are more advanced. What I mean to say is that please dont carry the yesteryear image of diesel engines. And along with that, you get better torque and better economy.
So you bought a bigger car for about same price, and now paying much more for your petrol bills.. [confused]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Both petrol engines and diesel engines are very reliable. But , I would still say present day diesel engines are more advanced. What I mean to say is that please dont carry the yesteryear image of diesel engines. And along with that, you get better torque and better economy.
So you bought a bigger car for about same price, and now paying much more for your petrol bills.. [confused]
i agree , not having so much of knowledge about the current diesel technology , i'm thinking what diesel engines were back then.

all that i posted was my experience. my verna petrol's service (2nd) will cost just 1400rs and i asked the adviser what's the cost of verna diesel ? 2nd service was some 6000rs.

you didn't understand me [:)] i bought a bigger car just because according to me diesel for covering just 900 kilometers is not practical choice.

i20 magna was for 7.00.000
verna petrol 1.6 vtvt - 8,50,000 ( my variant )
verna diesel 1.6 ( same variant ) - 10,00,000

total difference - 1.50.000 ( on road )

total monthly commute - 800 kilometers
total year commute - 9600 kilometers , say 10000 kilometers.

petrol's average current price - 70 ( delhi - 65)
diesel's average current price - 45 ( delhi - 40)

petrol's average - 12
diesel's average -16
( in city )

petrol's expense in a year.
10000|12 * 70 = 58000 + 2000( normal service )= 60000rs

diesel's expense in a year.
10000|16 * 45 = 28000 + 6000 = say 35000.

difference - 25000. say 30000.

extra money paid in the beginning for a diesel car - 1,50,000

years to recover the money - 1,50,000 \ 30000 = 5 years

now one can easily use a car for 5 years. but still recovering money in 5 years , not a practical option.

i don't know about others , but we finance our cars. and i think mostly all people does the same.

a member explained above the interest money lost.

you'll end up paying Rs. 1,20,000/= extra + interest on this amount (should be approximately ~ Rs. 50,000 for a 3 year loan of Rs. 1,20,000/= extra). But wait, we haven't calculated the opportunity cost yet that you would lose by NOT investing that Rs. 120K which by just putting it into FD would yield a minimum 9% i.e. ~ Rs. 33,000 for 3 years. Net net, you lose a good Rs. 80,000 in just interests (haven't included Rs. 120K since a part of it would be claimed when you sell off the car).

Top Bottom