Which Budget Laptop to Buy?

@ Raj:Hmm you didn't like Sony??? [;)]

I would recommend you Samsung, don't just go by the specs.

See the demo of few laptops.

Lenovo is Japanese brand, service mainly provided by IBM.

I had almost zeroed one, but all the ones they were selling at Croma was the display piece.

Thread Starter #17
After a lot of researching, now I have shortlisted Acer & Dell. According to their respective websites, Dell 15R is costing me 40k with 1GB graphics card & windows premium as additional (3GB Ram & 320 GB HDD).

a similar config Acer (aspire 5742G) will cost me 35k.

Advantage of Acer apart from the pricing is the processor is Intel Core i5 whereas Dell has i3, will that matter much? Also, it has 500 GB compared to 320 GB in Dell.

For the same money (40k), I can also buy a Dell 14R (14" screen) with 4GB RAM & 500GB HDD !!!

I want a good, stylish reliable & sturdy laptop.

AMG

Suspended
I want a
good Acer
stylish Dell
reliable Acer
sturdy Acer
laptop.

Dell's build quality is worse than even the cheap Chinese micromax/huawei stuff.

I would recommend Acer Raj. I have been using one(5745G) for close to one year i guess and its going good , no issues. Acer is VFM and should satisfy your office needs.

@raj_5004,
Lenovo seems to be the best deal by looking at the specs.
About lenovo,
I own a lenovo netbook(S10)(I am writing this reply with my s10) and I was surprised like you to see the things that they provide with that price and was bought on 2009.Its very user friendly and find it easier to use than my fathers High end HP laptop that was bought at the same time.What I dont like about it was the looks but now they solved that problem I think.In between I had a problem,and my keyboraad was replaced for free nd the reason was using a external keyborad(not renowed brand like logitech).
Right now I am love with it,I love its keyboard,trackpad especially.

Last edited:
Also heard that Dell has some hardware issues lately.
i was about to say dell is one of the worst but dint how they are doing in india
we have 5 Dell inspiron laptop (from europe)where i work ,and nobody uses any of them . some or other issues like weak battery or zero battery, no network or frequent network disconnecting frequent blue screen,or they wont boot up in morning lcd screen showing junk colors etc.

have 3 compaq laptop (c40) (bought from india)again hardware issues or driver issues . it still has 3 unknown devices showing some errors. battery doesnt last more than an hour.all three of them have some serious issue with sound card it makes wierd noise or go unseen for days . doesnt updates properly or always shows errors.

all the people i have met recomended sony or Hp .
i have used sony (vgn cr363) for 3 years dint give me any problems but it was power hungry so i sold it.
now i will be eyeing on hp only

most of the time those additional switches,camera blah blah softwares are just just ..junk so i will prefer basic model with more computing power and storage. i can upgrade ram.

AMG

Suspended
Dont look at lenovo and Dell.
I own a Dell, and the service is terribly pathetic.
Dell's battery support is horrible! and it crashes every other week. I am saying from experience because my sister had a lenovo. she got frustated and got a Dell. She is still frustrated.
Dell's build quality is worse than even the cheap Chinese micromax/huawei stuff.
i was about to say dell is one of the worst but dint how they are doing in india
we have 5 Dell inspiron laptop (from europe)where i work ,and nobody uses any of them . some or other issues like weak battery or zero battery, no network or frequent network disconnecting frequent blue screen,or they wont boot up in morning lcd screen showing junk colors etc.

have 3 compaq laptop (c40) (bought from india)again hardware issues or driver issues . it still has 3 unknown devices showing some errors. battery doesnt last more than an hour.all three of them have some serious issue with sound card it makes wierd noise or go unseen for days . doesnt updates properly or always shows errors.

most of the time those additional switches,camera blah blah softwares are just just ..junk so i will prefer basic model with more computing power and storage. i can upgrade ram.

So many people are against Dell, and you still considering it. [frustration]

Thread Starter #25

all the people i have met recomended sony or Hp .
i have used sony (vgn cr363) for 3 years dint give me any problems but it was power hungry so i sold it.
now i will be eyeing on hp only

So many people are against Dell, and you still considering it. [frustration]
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys. Actually, I was getting mixed reports about Dell with some saying its really reliable & sturdy. But one of my friends told me that recently Dell has started giving hardware issues. Frankly, I was smitten by Dell's looks. But now I am not considering it.

But I am surprised why I dint look at HP all these days!!!

I have shortlisted the following, which one will you guys pick?
1) HP Pavilion dv6
2) Acer 5750
3) Acer 5742G
4) HP Pavilion g6

I really like the HP because of it's aesthetics. The dv6 looks uber cool!

Top Bottom