Which Brand Has Best Engineered Engine?

The most reliable petrol engines are the still in production V6 engine in the Alfas and the Porsche Boxer engines as well as the TIAT group FIRE engines. PSA builds very strong units and so are some VAG and BMW units.

I see a lot of Honda engines in Europe breaking.And I am glad when I do not have to touch them.
my comments are based on Indian subcontinent. PSA ia a french. & FIAT is an italian company.
The pumpe duse engines by vw are prone to failures. their relaibility after 1L kms is questionable

my comments are based on Indian subcontinent. PSA ia a french. & FIAT is an italian company.
The pumpe duse engines by vw are prone to failures. their relaibility after 1L kms is questionable
I doubt your statement on reliability after 1 lakh kms. Please see following clips to clear some doubts [:)] (Source: Youtube)

Skoda Fabia: 750.000 Kilometer am 03.07.2010

Skoda Fabia: 750.000 Kilometer am 03.07.2010 - YouTube

Skoda Octavia 1,9 TDI GLX - 600.000 km

Skoda Octavia 1,9 TDI GLX - 600.000 km - YouTube

Well,I am yet to find a petrol engine better than the Skoda's 1.8 TSi or 1.9 TPi.
Same way a diesel engine better than the Fiat's 1.3 MJD.

Rest,I am quite interested in BMW's new triple turbos.

VW/Skoda diesel engines are among the best in diesels. They may be a bit unrefined, but are quite solid and durable. Toyota and Mitsubishi are equally good too.

In petrol, I think Hondas are good. Suzukis are good too.

How about Rolls Royce engines. I heard or probably read somewhere that they supply engines for Boeing and so does GE ! So, to me they are best engineered engines.
Guys,

None of you commented anything on above post. Strange ! [surprise]

Either we do not have much knowledge about them or just considering engine = For cars. I think thread title should be corrected then. From best engineered engine to best engineered car engines.

Guys,

None of you commented anything on above post. Strange ! [surprise]

Either we do not have much knowledge about them or just considering engine = For cars. I think thread title should be corrected then. From best engineered engine to best engineered car engines.
Shailinder,

Yes you are right. Everybody is talking about car engines only.

When we expand the discussion to other engines, Rolls Royce engines cannot be said as the best engineered just because they are used in Boeing.

Rolls Royce makes great aircraft engines.

They were developing (along with GE as a joint venture) a new engine for the Fifth Generation Joint Strike Fighter, F35 as a competition to the Pratt & Whitney engines which are already approved for F35. But could not complete the project due to various reasons.

Rolls Royce engines did their duty in Harrier jets.

Pratt & Whitney and GE engines are more widely used in Aircrafts than Rolls Royce.

Cryogenic engines used in rockets for launching heavy geo synchronous satellites are another example of complex engineering.

As far as I know Honda makes the best engine. I will say it is the safest bet for a worry free ownership.
I am not very sure but have heard from lot of old time enthusiasts that Peugeot used to make very reliable engines.
Also, I feel Toyota Qualis engine is concidered to be the best ever launched in Indian market

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
How about Rolls Royce engines. I heard or probably read somewhere that they supply engines for Boeing and so does GE ! So, to me they are best engineered engines.
Yup. That’s true. In fact, world’s largest passenger airplane “Airbus A380” houses Rolls Royce’s Engine.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yup. That’s true. In fact, world’s largest passenger airplane “Airbus A380” houses Rolls Royce’s Engine.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Even the ship I travelled recently had RR engine in it.
though such facts does not proove "Best engineered" criteria. there are some over engineered and under engineered and time taught them good lessons.
best should mean best..

OK without talking about planes and rocket and in a very layman indian scene my choice is as below :-

Petrol= I-Vtec Honda
Diesel = Has to be the Fiat national engine

Sometimes I feel pity. we Indians have not known anything beyond Honda eyeveetek..and Feeyat National diesel engine.

Last edited:
I had met Mr. H V Kumar recently. Dint get a chance to sit in his beast but externally it looked in great shape.

There are many people out there who shout that Mahindras dont last after 1 Lac kms, his car is a big tight slap on their face!

Originally Posted by emperor
I doubt your statement on reliability after 1 lakh kms. Please see following clips to clear some doubts (Source: Youtube)

Skoda Fabia: 750.000 Kilometer am 03.07.2010

"I have worked for an Audi centre for just over two years now. Its hard to talk about reliability because I only ever see cars when they are broken. But I'd say up to 60,000 miles DSG is pretty bullet proof and beyond that your looking for trouble. We do on average 1 DSG mechatronics unit every 2 or 3 months or so. SO yes that is the bit that goes wrong, and Its not cheep, £2-3k i think. Complete box it £5K."

DSG reliability

das auto. vw-skoda-audi- german engineering

Top Bottom