Which Brand Has Best Engineered Engine?

Thread Starter #1
they are many auto brands rising in competition with each other ,
so a buyer makes his decision based on factors like luxury,performance,style statement, and nevertheless fuel efficiency ,well the most important that should be considered is the engine before settling on automotive of a certain brand.

Reason for starting this thread is to know which brand has got the best mill-
long life etc.
japanese engine is said to be having longlife whereas american are known for early wear and tear (ford). so is the thread created to discuss which brand posses the best engineered engine.

regards,
aventador

If we ignore the expensive cars, then I feel FIAT & Mahindra makes good engines.

FIAT - we all know, the Multijet is called the National engine!

Mahindra - with the mHawk, then the mEagle & now the m2Dicr, they make very refined, fuel efficient & punchy engines with awesome low end torque. Even their older Di engines doing business in the Commander & Marshall was applauded.

If we talk about diesel engines German have best technology no doubt about that for Petrol i vote for Japanese they know the game best.

FIAT -- FOR ITS NATIONAL ENGINE.
TOYOTA -- For the engine doing its duty in Qualis .
Maruti & Hyundai for petrol engines .

Taken consideration only Indian scene.

FIAT -- FOR ITS NATIONAL ENGINE.
TOYOTA -- For the engine doing its duty in Qualis .
Maruti & Hyundai for petrol engines .

Taken consideration only Indian scene.
Even if you take the Indian scene it is not that straight forward.

Horses for courses as they say.

A lot of people laugh at the Ladas. But none of them laughs when at -40 no other engine than a Lada engine runs/starts free of any trouble.

Every manufacturer has got some good and some terrible engines.

Generally the European Diesel engines are better than the Japanese ones.

Suzuki does some great petrol engines and so does Hyundai.

The Volkswagen group, the Fiat group and PSA have some great petrol engines and so have Ford and Renault.

Mercedes, Toyota, GM, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, Daihatsu, Fait, Volkswagen and Mazda have some engines I wouldn't even look at.

Even if you take the Indian scene it is not that straight forward.
+1 to that

Hope popularity is not the basis of "the best" in this thread.

Is Fiat multijet that great engine ? Agreed it is sophisticated.
if not suzuki had not launched it in swift would it be so popular? does it have so much popularity and appraisal worldwide?

TOYOTA -- For the engine doing its duty in Qualis
I dont think so.it cannot be termed as best engineered engine. only for a very narrow spec does it satisfy that criteria.

I did not find BMW engines on this thread yet .

and what say about Tata nano engine ?

I have had experience with Fiat's, Hyundai and Maruti. I liked the Fiats, really peppy and fun to drive. FE was not at all bad contrary to popular belief. The Hyundai 1.2 Kappa is refined but not peppy. The Alto's F8D was peppy but unrefined. Among the diesels the Fiat MJD and VW TDI are good.

hondas make the best of petrol engines, refined & reliable.

germans engines can no longer be considered into the list. its a past glory

As per our garage , the vehicle engines we have worked upon.

First i'll list out cars and so the in turn reflect the brand.

1.N number of indica's
2.Qualis
3.uno and palio
4.Honda city - head work [no engine overhauls in city so far]
5.n number of 800's/omni , some old gen estilo and gypsy.
6.Some opel astras diesel ,corsa- petrol , and one chevy optra petrol .
7.some hyundai accent crdi . included member holysatans ride.

Among them i find toyota were best in qualis , regarding the date of the engine and how minimum it has suffered in the hands of DICTATOR rule. the owner a dumb ass . i literally wanted to hit him for not caring even a .001% for his car. he was the worst owner and his car suffered less.

Then i give a thumbs up for the opel and chevy engine. i am considering both as they have many design in common.

Maruti's will serve best with some good care.

tata's will serve best with some good care , but most of tata buyers ignore them.

the thing is they both have oe spares available readily at stores.
for all other some time is being eaten up for arrangement of spares.

So as far my experience

Toyota's had best engine , city has best engine , as the couple of city that come for service has everything fine. except for one which had water pump failure.
Huge number of maruti customers and very few % wise engine failure.

Ford , have not worked on engines , but on the fact the cars that comes for service , the 1.6/1.3 are almost like a tank.

the diesel 1.8 is another work horse .

Fiat , the complex in every design. - how come they come with these ideas. the work with never ever failure in mind?

Material wise , fiat/toyota /opel has best.

technical wise toyota and fiat were best [no idea about city since have not opened them.]

Cant comment on mahindra.
1. a badly maintained new bolero run 3L kms in 1.5 years was fine even when half of its engine oil was missing and same car was fine when there was almost less gear oil in gear box.
2. Old gen scorpio engine seized at 1L kms /

Summing it all Japanese has good engine over all and less failure to max kind of abuse.

Last edited:
I liked the best was the G13B engine which was used in our Versa! My god it was very responsive which has left a mark in my life. Now missing the horses though.

I dont think so.it cannot be termed as best engineered engine. only for a very narrow spec does it satisfy that criteria.
Qualis is enjoying resale value especially for its engine.

According tome the Best Engineered Engine(s) are :
BMW's N74 v12 used in 7 series and RR ghost
VW Bugatti veyron's engine
Nissan's VR38 engine used in GT-R

*IMO every engine designed on the planet has a downside who ever designed them. We cant say which is the best engineered engine it can be only said by opinion without any proof of real testing.

Last edited:
hondas make the best of petrol engines, refined & reliable.

germans engines can no longer be considered into the list. its a past glory
The most reliable petrol engines are the still in production V6 engine in the Alfas and the Porsche Boxer engines as well as the TIAT group FIRE engines. PSA builds very strong units and so are some VAG and BMW units.

I see a lot of Honda engines in Europe breaking.And I am glad when I do not have to touch them.

Top Bottom