Which Bike For 80,000 OTR? (Bought Apache)

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

This is my first post on TAI.

Before i begin let me tell you guys a bit about myself.

So far i have owned 3 bikes as follows-
1. Kinetic Nova (2001) - my sis bike but i used it for more time, done almost 45000kms on it in 2 yrs of my jr. College.
2. Yamaha RX100 - used for 20000 odd kms in one year. miss this bike
2. Caliber115 (2003) -using it now and have done 78000 kms on it.

Now i am thinking 2 buy a new bike in jan.
Please help me choose a good one..
I have shortlisted the following bikes -
Apache rtr180 - loved it from the day i td it, and like the white color
Apache160HE - pls help me on this one, juz considering because my bro suggested it can do all the things like 180 and give a good mileage.
Avenger220 - love the looks of this bike but didnt quite impressed me in handling dept.

Please help me choose among these bikes.

I would be riding almost 1500 kms pm out of which 1000 kms will be long weekend rides on highways..
Mileage should be around 40kmpl but it doesnt matter as long as i get ridibg pleasure

Loking fwd to your inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Which Bike For 80000 OTR?????

If you are ready to spend bit more than 80K then Karizma R could be a good option. It has great mix of power, riide handling and looks.

Impulse is not a cruzer, it's more of an ATV, transroader., its a fun to ride bike and can take you to places you can only imagine but not too sure how comfortable it would be for day to day rides. It has long but stiff suspension which can absorb rough patches but simulataneously can offer ok comfort at normal terrains, but remeber only ok.

Apache RTR is a good bike but somehow misses the road presence of a big bike. It's powerful and nimble but lacks in overall grip which a Yamaha or Karizma can give, thanks to crappy stock tyres. @ 78K ex showroom you can get a fully loaded RTR 180 ABS which is real VFM. You can get he stock tyre upgrade and the bike could be a complete package. One shortcoming though is, long rides are again not that comfortable.

So to sum it up-
Styling, comfort and handling- Yamaha FZ
Styling. comfort and power- Karizma R
Features, Handling and Power- RTR 180
Handling, economy, Ok power- RTR 160
Comfort, Power, style- Avenger

Regards,
Maddy

Thread Starter #4

Hi All,

Thanks for your quick response

If you are ready to spend bit more than 80K then Karizma R could be a good option. It has great mix of power, riide handling and looks.
@Maddy - I am not quite impressed by looks of karizma:( thats why i didn't have it in my list... anyways i'll consider a td of karizma also.

Now my new list :
1. RTR180 & RTR160
2. Avenger
3. Impulse
4. Karizma

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi All,

Thanks for your quick response

@Maddy - I am not quite impressed by looks of karizma:( thats why i didn't have it in my list... anyways i'll consider a td of karizma also.

Now my new list :
1. RTR180 & RTR160
2. Avenger
3. Impulse
4. Karizma
I'd say go for the Impulse. Its got great dynamics for bad road conditions which are almost the norm these days. Also, Its not too pricey and would work out to be a great tourer I presume.

I would be riding almost 1500 kms pm out of which 1000 kms will be long weekend rides on highways..
1000 km weekend rides then go for Avenger 220 or second RE

Re: Which Bike For 80,000 OTR??

I would suggest to strike off Karizma off the list whichever model it is, recently my biker friend had a very bad accident when the chain link on a brand new karizma broke on the NH7! He is alive though just minor scratches as he had protective gear on

Apache RTR180 with ABS will be one option or you can go for Avenger or RE TBTS since your budget is 80k RE TBTS is out of the equation again.

On a side note I did see some guys riding on a Apache or Pulsar on the highway just don't know what level of comfort they have since their shoulders would be slightly bent forward all the time as they need to lean a bit.

I would suggest you to go for the Avenger , you will just need to get used to the length of the bike but trust me you will really FEEL LIKE GOD on highways .I own a Apache RTR 160 & would not recommend the bike , your initial experience will be good , you will feel that the bike lacks power after few thousand kms on the odo & TVS is hated for its vibrations .

Thread Starter #9

Hello All,

Thanks for your help till now,

After TD all the bikes I have finally zeroed in on Apache RTR 180(Regular).

I have booked the bike & would be getting the delivery on wednesday.

The dealer has quoted the price of - Rs. 81160 OTR

Please let me know if any one has purchase an RTR recently and help me with the price.

Thanks again for all your support.

Thread Starter #11

Hi all,

Finally brought the White Menace home[clap]

I got the delivery today as the dealer had 1 bike in store which had a little scratch near headlamp & the person who had booked that bike wanted a scratchless one.

Loved the exhaust note of apache it surely feels like music to the ears.[:)]

Have done 130 kms on ODO on 1st day itself though i made sure that the speedo didn't go above 50kmph & the rpm were below four..

The idealing of the bike was near 2.5 when i received it but my cousin changed it to 1.2 something. Do I have to keep higher idealing for new bike??

Is it true that you should not ride the bike above 50 kmph for the first 3500kms???
The salesman gave me this suggestion.

Guys, need your suggestions for proper running-in of the bike.[confused]

Please reply with your valuable suggestions.

@Akash - Yups, it is a white one.. how did you guess that bro??

Is it true that you should not ride the bike above 50 kmph for the first 3500kms???
The salesman gave me this suggestion.

Guys, need your suggestions for proper running-in of the bike.[confused]
@FTW you should have gotten a manual along with your bike, go through that manual, in that it would be mentioned at what speed you need to ride up until what time or KMs. Since the engine is new you should not go faster, if you do there are chances of piston getting seized & you have to get it rebored!

Top Bottom