What's the use of writing 'PRESS' outside a car?

Thread Starter #16
Today I asked a guy who was applying tints to a car about this Jet black tints. He straight away said that those are illegal. Then I asked about those press stickers outside dark tinted cars; then he said that those cars are allowed to have darker tints(but not in legal). I also inquired about why is it so; then he said that may be there may be sometimes VIP people traveling in those car.[surprise] He said that if caught by a high level officer; you should show the press card; otherwise you will be in a mess!

Secondly; I daily travel from Mumbai to Vashi, and there is a toll of Rs30/- (one side) on the way. Now from some days I am noticing cars with press stickers don't pay tolls. They just point out to the sticker and the guy let them go.[frustration]

@ Gears Sorry for OT but why don you get a monthly pass if you travel daily through that toll road.

I travel daily from Chennai to Kattankulathur , SRM( my college). I have to pay daily Rs.45 two way for 20KM toll road! If i take monthly pass its just Rs.195 for a month.

Thread Starter #20
@ Gears Sorry for OT but why don you get a monthly pass if you travel daily through that toll road.

I travel daily from Chennai to Kattankulathur , SRM( my college). I have to pay daily Rs.45 two way for 20KM toll road! If i take monthly pass its just Rs.195 for a month.
We already have a monthly pass which is of Rs1200/- per month![cry]
It hurts when I see people allowed to go w/o paying the toll!![frustration]

I don't use PRESS sticker,I just put a party flag in my car that's enough.Till now i had never paid any Toll Gates in TamilNadu.And one thing if u put any flag in your car then your car must have a good horn which should tear the ears.

Thread Starter #22
I don't use PRESS sticker,I just put a party flag in my car that's enough.Till now i had never paid any Toll Gates in TamilNadu.And one thing if u put any flag in your car then your car must have a good horn which should tear the ears.
Yes I have seen this here in Mumbai Too.[roll] Its very common here. Other than a loud horn; you find fancy/Vip numbers and black tints on those cars.

However we cannot put any particular party's sticker/flag coz my dad has friends in 4 different political parties. So chances of loosing friendship from the rest!:lol!:

Hello I am from Mumbai and I have press sticker on my car and I have a vaild press id card. If you don't have id card and applied on your vehicle I suggest you to remove it because it would be illegal

The generic PRESS is dubious most of the time. Also, even the son of the son of the son of a retired military guy would write ARMY on the rear glass [shock]. Cops nowadays don't give a hoot to the generic PRESS sticker anyway. The genuine ones would always carry the company logo. In all the organisations I have worked with, we got the company logo press sticker after we submitted a copy of the RC to the HR (I work with a newspaper). The HR keeps a record of the stickers issued, how many and to whom. And the stickers are only meant for editorial people -- not marketing, circulation or sales, though these guys are the ones who often misuse the stickers. The HR won't give the sticker to you if your name is not on the RC that you submitted, even if the vehicle belongs to an immediate family member.

The point of the company issued sticker, among other things, is to enable the vehicle to get into a crowded place where a news event is happening with minimal unnecessary interference. But of course it is not a licence to break traffic rules. For example, the only factor I had in mind while buying the Alto 800 was to navigate in crowd, enter and exit from dharnas and such events easily with little tension for parking. Using the company sticker, I have managed to cut down my office-to-venue reaction time by cutting through crowds near Jantar Mantar and Ramlila Maidan. Those at the venue usually give way when they see press sticker because they themselves want the media to be present since they are the ones who will get publicity.

But sometimes the sticker also works the other way round. Those who want to attack the press will identify you immediately and your vehicle is done for [lol] In 2010 when I was in Bangalore -- our office was near Church Street -- our crime reporter's Swift was burnt by a mob when he had gone to cover a political rally.

One more incident involving a press sticker happened in Jan 2014. A bank van was robbed bollywood style at Delhi's Defence Colony amid gunfight in broad daylight. The car used by the accused, WagonR, had a company issued press sticker. Police tracked the owner, who turned out a person whose car had got stolen some days ago, and he had already filed a complaint over that. The guy was the junior level marketing chap of the media company whose sticker was found in the car. So, the thing came down to how did marketing guy got press sticker when his job doesn't involve any editorial work? He apparently used his friend in the HR to issue one to him. He was sacked. He misused the sticker for ego inflation and paid for it.

In a nutshell, those bikes and cars we come across with the red colour tape generic press stickers are usually fakes. Some may be genuine, but I don't understand how difficult it is to get the company one from the HR if somebody is with editorial. It's laziness. Lastly, a good use of press sticker is to intimidate autowallahs who jump red light or come from wrong side. That I do frequently around Sarojini Nagar and Jhandewalan.

Last edited:
If one counts the number of police stickers on bikes in Bombay it would probably be equivalent to the number of police in the whole of India. The police are mainly to blame for this as they regards themselves above the law, so this sticker maybe neutralizes the inequality a bit.

Top Bottom