What's Purpose Of Side Plastic Vent on Bolero?

Thread Starter #1
I don't know whether everyone knows this, or has already been clarified, but i don't know what this is, and i asked around a lot, but no body could give me any good replies that's why i am asking, if there is any problem with this thread mods please move or delete.

b.jpg
What and why is the plastic vent attached in Bolero, is it there for any use?

Re: Bolero rear side plastic vent?

Damn...same question is there in my mind too for last 10-15 years.A same looking thing can be seen on a Tata Sumo too.
Well,+1 to Kannan..

Re: Bolero Rear Side Plastic Vent?

I guess its an air intake vent.. You can find many cabs (sumo's) where a small light is also installed inside this.

Thread Starter #4

I guess its an air intake vent.. You can find many cabs (sumo's) where a small light is also installed inside this.
Are you sure? Because it is rear side and if it is for air-intake then some fan or some thing like that must be there. other wise air will flow only when reversing.

350Z

Core Team

I'm not sure whether the side vents really serve a useful purpose except for visual enhancement, at least in Mahindra Bolero. A better close up image that I captured:

DSC06647.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Its air vents.

All cars have them.

remove your rear bumpers in cars like lancer/swift/grande/indica/go/etc

when you shut the doors of yours cars , the air inside need to escape.
Its kind of one way , like from inside to outside .

yeah i know you all are thinking about ac. It wont leak through it as it open on heavy air flow like while closing doors.

it wont work if you close doors with window open!

in sumo/bolero its placed on side!!

ilango[speed thirst];128791 said:
Its air vents.

All cars have them.

yeah i know you all are thinking about ac. It wont leak through it as it open on heavy air flow like while closing doors.

Hmmm yes that is a good point, [thumbsup]
what you are saying is it is there to relieve air pressure inside the cabin,sort of like air escaping from a fuel tank when fuel is being pumped at high speed to an F1 car they have another air valve,this same effect is created when one closes the door in a sealed cabin.

Last edited:
@Ilango its one very good point man .I remember old Amby drivers rolling one window a few mm down and they say it is for air passage otherwise the windows will break when parked under direct sun.( is that true ? breaking of glass!)

Thread Starter #10
ilango[speed thirst];128791 said:
Its air vents.

All cars have them.

If those are air vents, then when we wash the cars using power wash wont water get inside the cabin?

@Ilango: Very good point buddy.

If those are air vents, then when we wash the cars using power wash wont water get inside the cabin?
@Kannan: The water doesn't get in because these vents are supposed to open only towards the outside from inside. It won't open if you push from outside. Saw that in the old gen Bolero.

However in the pic captured by Vibhor I can see that these seem to be open all the time. We can say these are basically meant for air exchange and I do not think that will happen only while reversing. Moreover the design of these vents always seems to be a bit at an angle towards the bottom. That might prevent water to get in, not sure though.

Last edited:

Top Bottom