What is Your Internet Provider and Plan?

currently using railwire connection
tariffs are pretty good i guess as there is nothing as FUP.
currently using Rs.900 plan and getting 1mbps unlimited downloads for 1 month.[cheers]

currently using railwire connection
tariffs are pretty good i guess as there is nothing as FUP.
currently using Rs.900 plan and getting 1mbps unlimited downloads for 1 month.[cheers]
Is it wired or wireless?

If its wireless, how far is the antenna tower?

It's wireless.
antenna tower i guess is in the range of around 2.5-4km.
Can you see that tower?

I'm asking this because Railwire provider in my city says their tower should be visible and our house should be 3 or 4 storey and they will install the antenna in the roof.

Their antenna tower is just 2km away from my house but not visible because of trees and uneven terrain. Provider is not willing to try atleast but he just says its not possible. :frown:

Can you see that tower?

Railwire provider in my city says their tower should be visible and our house should be 3 or 4 storey and they will install the antenna in the roof.
not sure about tower visibility but even my service provider insists that i install the receiver higher than what it's currently at.
BTW i am located at chittaranjan township (near asansol) so there aren't many tall buildings to interfere with the signal only intereferences are caused by uneven terrain and trees so not a major issue.

not sure about tower visibility but even my service provider insists that i install the receiver higher than what it's currently at.
BTW i am located at chittaranjan township (near asansol) so there aren't many tall buildings to interfere with the signal only intereferences are caused by uneven terrain and trees so not a major issue.
I see. Thanks for the information.

I will contact higher officers and request for demo or a trial. Because I'm sure it will work here but the local office guy is not willing to give. Not just for me but to all of my friends and neighbors. Railwire connection is only given to banks and offices here.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Yes Hathway working well
They have upgraded some areas( near lancers convent) to 50mbps plan which i currently use at my home.

I called their number but they can't install where i need just yet.

Also near my work place reliance are installing the cables underground. Services could start within a month.

Using a local connection there , 1000rs for 25 gb 10 mbps. Decent plan.

Not sure if it is the right thread to ask. My brother is looking for a USB dongle-type data card. Main use will be for laptop, around 3-4 GB, when he is not at home or office. MTS, Photon+ and Airtel have data cards in the 1-1.5k range.

Or should I look at Photon Max (has Wifi for upto 5 devices)?

Which one would be fine? And specific brand I need to avoid (due to poor service or networks) and anything specific I need to check?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Not sure if it is the right thread to ask. My brother is looking for a USB dongle-type data card. Main use will be for laptop, around 3-4 GB, when he is not at home or office. MTS, Photon+ and Airtel have data cards in the 1-1.5k range.

Which one would be fine? And specific brand I need to avoid (due to poor service or networks) and anything specific I need to check?
First get a demo. Go to the main center and take the dongle with you ( they might ask for security or will send a guy with the dongle)

I checked the speed at the center and it was around 4mbps but when i checked where i wanted , it had just 0.2 mbps. ( i get good 3g there vodafone plus airtel)

If they don't provide a demo ( they should) ask your friends if they use any.

So what i am trying to say : don't buy before checking the speeds.

Last edited:

I am using Photon Max since March 2015. Paying 1500 for 30GB plus unlimited there after with reduced speed. Able to connect 5 devices plus desktop computer and excellent connectivity in Chennai and all metros.

Was using Photon since 2008 to 2015 for 2GB @ 700 and it was HSIA and good working.

Please go head with Photon Maxi WIFI, with plan suitable to him.

So what i am trying to say : don't buy before checking the speeds.
I am using Photon Max since March 2015.
I will not be able to take demos of each and every option as I don't have a car right now. Talked to a local mobile store and the guy suggested MTS and Tata Photon. He said that he uses both and gets decent speed. Photon looks bad on paper but in reality, provides consistent manageable speeds.

Have shortlisted MTS MBlaze and Photon Max, as having Wi-Fi functionality is certainly better. Rates provided at 1.5k for MTS and 2.3k for Photon Max. Recharges would cost more or less the same.

This data card won't be used much at home. Should I still insist on a demo at home or check it out at their store? It would be used while travelling and at some places in and around NCR. I was thinking I would do a speed check at the local mobile store (he has both) and decide there itself.

I will not be able to take demos of each and every option as I don't have a car right now. Talked to a local mobile store and the guy suggested MTS and Tata Photon. He said that he uses both and gets decent speed. Photon looks bad on paper but in reality, provides consistent manageable speeds.

Have shortlisted MTS MBlaze and Photon Max, as having Wi-Fi functionality is certainly better. Rates provided at 1.5k for MTS and 2.3k for Photon Max. Recharges would cost more or less the same.

This data card won't be used much at home. Should I still insist on a demo at home or check it out at their store? It would be used while travelling and at some places in and around NCR. I was thinking I would do a speed check at the local mobile store (he has both) and decide there itself.
TATA Photon Max wifi modem is good in NCR. As my job involves travel to all over India and found TATA has very good speed in NCR

Got Photon Max. It costed 2.3k and I got 10 GB free data for a month. After that, recharges would cost 800 bucks for 4 GB Unlimited plan.

Screenshot_2016-03-03-15-57-31-1.png

I am getting good speeds in Gurgaon. Best part is that it can be connected to car's 12v socket (or USB port) and one can access internet on the go! During the speed test at the shop, MTS was having very inconsistent speeds which would drop to a mere 500 kbps at times. The Photon hit a lowest speed of 1.1 mbps at the shop. With Photon, I am currently getting a strong 2.1-2.3 mbps. Satisfied.

Top Bottom