What is Your Definition For “Fun To Drive”?

Which is your definition for fun to drive?

• Responsive engine

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Amazing handling

Votes: 25 67.6%

• Total voters
Re: What is Your Definition For “Fun To Drive”?

Civic thanks to its low slung aerodynamic design , it's handling is decent enough. But i can bet it can never match the likes of Laura and Jetta.

@ Marun You are lucky to own one such car , enjoy!
Have you tried Lancer? Its a low slung car, but it has a stiff set up too. It is stable, handles well and steering has nice feel to it too.

Not all cars with good handling can be fun to drive. They are just good handlers.

Thread Starter #32
Buddy i never said all good handling cars are fun to drive , i just wanted to know what is your definition of fun to drive-responsive engine or good handling. In fact most of the good handling cars are under-powered and you will be disappointed with it's performance.

I haven't driven Lancer. It maybe a good handler but i think now it's performance can't match the competition.

Thread Starter #33

Cooldhaya is spot on.

On average, European cars are possess better handling characteristics as compared to Japanese & Koreans cars.

There are exception though : e.g. Handling of Swift is better than Polo.

Let's not get into the European Vs Japan cars topic. I will create a thread for that next , that will be more interesting!

After seeing various posts here I feel that there is a confusion amoung people between various terms like Handling, Ride Quality, Performance, Engine response, Body roll, cornering etc.

Since I am not an expert, request fellow members like Raj, Sam Dinakar, Vibour, TSIVipul and others to explain these terms properly here or in a seperate thread for the sake of all.

It will serve as a reference for all of us and other visitors to this site.

There were several posts in various threads where people talk about handling and ride quality as if they are one and the same.
See buddy,here is my take on various terms:-
1):Handling:Handling may be defined as how your car responds to the steering inputs or how it negotiates the corners etc.Handling generally comprises of three factors namely suspension,body control and steering responsiveness(Understeer or oversteer) and how the car behaves on it.

2):Ride quality:Ride quality is the way your car behaves on various surfaces.It is due to aerodynamics that as the speed increases the front of the car feels higher downforce as compared to the rear,now if the suspension is very soft then it will cause wobbling motions even on even surfaces like you can see in VW Vento and Hyundai Verna,while if the suspension is neither hard nor soft then car behaves quite good at high speeds but it shows this wobbling motion during turning or steering inputs like you can see in Toyota Corolla,Honda City,Civic,Optra etc.While if the suspension is tight then the ride at high speeds is very planted like in Skoda Laura,Ford Fiesta 'S',Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia and many sport cars.
So,you can say that ride depends on two factors,namely suspension and body control.

3):Performance:People have a misconception that performance means just how the engine behaves to throttle response.But being true performance consists of two factors namely throttle response and in-gear response.
Throttle response means how the car behaves on sudden throttle inputs as well as throttle over run(engine braking you an call it).It depends on two factors,power and torque and these two factors depends on a master factor called 'REV RANGE',why?
Because no engine performs at its best throughout the rev range.Some engine have good low end(Maruti Suzuki MPFi engine from Alto,Zen and Wagon-R(older)),some have good mid range(Most of the turbocharged diesel engines) and some have good top end(Honda i-vtec).So youcan say that performance depends on how the engine responds to the throttle inputs in any rev range.
While in-gear performance depends on the gear ratios,for longer gear ratios generally speeds are higher while for shorter gear ratios you will get better acceleration.Like in Fiat Linea due to longer gear ratios it is faster than SX4 while due to shorter ratios SX4 accelerates faster to 100 kph.

4):Engine response:As mentioned above..:biggrin:

5):Body roll and cornering:Body roll depends on three factors namely weight distribution throughout the vehicle,center of gravity and suspension.
Body roll means how much the vehicle has the tendency to turn turtle while negotiating corners.
If the weight distribution throughout the vehicle is uniform then the whole vehicle will feel the centrifugal(outside pushing)force and hence the force gets distributed equally and less body roll is felt.
If center of gravity is higher like in SUVs then body roll is higher.
If suspension is on softer side,then also it results in feeling of higher body roll.You can feel it significantly in Vento and Verna while Rapid which is a Vento with tougher suspension is more planted and lesser body roll is felt in it.
Cornering,simple it is,how the car behaves while negotiating corners.

Civic thanks to its low slung aerodynamic design , it's handling is decent enough. But i can bet it can never match the likes of Laura and Jetta.

No doubt,Laura is better than Civic,but not the nose heavy TDI,only TSI handles better than Civic.
While new Jetta is really better but older was not as good as Civic if handling is concerned.

Cooldhaya is spot on.

On average, European cars are possess better handling characteristics as compared to Japanese & Koreans cars.

There are exception though : e.g. Handling of Swift is better than Polo.
Well,there is nothing like that,many japs like Lancer,Honda City,Nissan GT-R have already set benchmarks for ride and handling.
But yes,they are very few as compared to the European army of such cars.

Let's not get into the European Vs Japan cars topic. I will create a thread for that next , that will be more interesting!
Why not today itself?

:offtopic:
Well,proud owner of Fiesta who has left us thirsty after showing us water in form of a very much joyful and humorous review...we are still waiting for you to complete it buddy..here it is:-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/5899-ford-fiesta-1-4-zxi-beauty-beast.html
:sorry: to have done that... but I got caught up in a few things which were very important at the moment !!
I promise to pour in the pics by this weekend. [;)]

well maybe it can. cant say exactly. if not civic, then the new Lancer EX can surely match them and remember the new Lancer is Japanese.[:D]

The most fun i had was when i was using the 2006 Honda Accord 2.4 Manual with Mugen Exhaust & performance air filter,would give me a mileage of 4/5 kmpl with ac.(makes the civic feel tame)
It belonged to a friend & i used it for roughly 3 days,3 memorable days!!!! Amazing responsive engine with a lovely note (it commanded respect everywhere),even the auto fellows & 2wheeler's who dont give way use to move over,it was running stock rims with upgraded tires so comfort & handling was top notch unlike the accords running 18 inch rims,won my heart more than the other expensive cars,but the Audi A4 3.2 still sits on my car to own list along with the model of accord i drove !

Thread Starter #40

well maybe it can. cant say exactly. if not civic, then the new Lancer EX can surely match them and remember the new Lancer is Japanese.[:D]

By Lancer EX do you mean Evolution X? That would be unfair comparing a Laura to an Evolution X. If you are going to bring in Evolution X then a fair comparison would be to bring in the Bmw 525d! Does the Lancer handle better than a BMW?

Hi cooldhaya,

I dont think BWM can be compared with Lancy. BMWs are well handlers and got more juice under their hood. If you take evo, it just has juice, but handling is a big question there.

I wanted to point one more car here, Fiat 500 [glasses] you say no???

Re: What is your definition for Fun to drive?

Well,I haven't voted because I will either vote for both or none.
What is the use of good handling without a good engine and same way a good engine is nowhere fun if handling is not good.
I'll mention it with examples(no offence to anyone):-
For me fun to drive means the car must have a performer engine,sharp dynamics,responsive steering and good body control and SAFETY because confidence comes from safety.
For example:-
A Fiesta 1.6 is a fun to drive car because it has all of them,while a Verna is more powerful,faster and maybe safer too but its steering response simply eclipses it and hence its not fun to drive.
Laura TSI,Fiat Linea T-Jet etc etc are fun to drive cars while the ones like Chevrolet Optra Magnum,Hyundai Sonata,VW vento can not be called fun to drive because their high speed behavior for Vento and dynamics(suspension) or handling for Optra Magnum and Sonata puts them away from fun to drive factor.
Buddy I have 07 Hyundai Sonata known as Sonata Transform in India. It has a V6 engine and bro that car is so much fun to drive. The reason it has a very good and responsivve engine and the stability of the car is just wonderful. I have driven this car on a plain road, snow, bit off - roading, mountains, place where there were no roads. And beacause of its stability the control of the vehicle is really awesome. And i change lanes easily at speeds of 100-110 mph (160-170 kmph). It gives you a that confidence when you drive it.

Handling differs from person to person , some may feel some rides bumpy , and another guy owning even bumpier car may feel them ok in the case.

For me , the best handler among the car i had was the Lancer. it was just damn amazing.

I have driven getz , powerfull engine , good brakes , but scary.

I liked the performance of swift with say 205 profile tyres. Steering was slightly heavy and good in low speed too.

When the handling is to our likes , we can just make the engine behave to our command.

All the fiat car were/are good handler.

Esteem was a good handler , nicely planted , good power delivery , light weight though planted on the road.

First and fore most rule for good handler comes from steering , too much play , too light at high speed , lesser feed back on that , makes the drive scary , though it may be planted!

Thread Starter #44
Well okay BMW may be a bit too much to compare with the Lancer. But surely comparing the Laura and Lancer EX is unfair. And hey Lancer EX has more juice under the hood than 525d and comparitively quicker too.

Lancer: 2.0L engine , 290PS

Bmw 525d: 3.0L engine , only 204PS

@ Ilango Exactly! The steering is what makes the car a fun to drive one. The suspension maybe a bit soft but if the steering offers good feedback and responds then you can push your car even more.

Last edited:
Bmw 525d: 3.0L engine , only 204PS ???

hope we are not misunderstanding fun with luxury. there is only a fine line between both sometimes.

I drive Punto90HP which have everything to check for fun to drive car but for power.blame its small diesel mill . yes power does not show up at your command.

I never fount swift fun to drive car though a guy driving some other maruti car for years and suddenly driving a swift may feel blessed.

Then,

only one car which ticks all boxes is Fiat Linea t-jet.

I felt ashamed of myself when I found my driving skills where not at par with the dynamics and response of Linea T-jet.
If you get a chance , should definitely try your hands on Linea t-jet and see what am i talking about.

Definitely fun is not just the power and being quicker. I have been into Jeep4x4 with no roof and with manual steering. it was slow, but kind of handling and road everywhere attitude of that vehicle is what fun truly is, where sedan and suv has to come a long way.

Top Bottom