What Do You Replace a Honda City With? Another One. Honda City VX Ownership Review

Thread Starter #1
Brief Background: Our Honda City GXi (Dolphin model) has been faithfully serving us for more than a decade now (Read Ownership Review here). We had a Toyota Innova which was the primary workhorse (clocked 3,30 Lac kms) used by the family when we stayed in Nagpur. The decision to replace City started when my parents moved to Ghaziabad UP last year. I suggested my Dad to sell off the car before moving and purchase a new one post shifting. Dad agreed (Since I live in the US, I have little influence in the Car dept as opposed to earlier when I lived in India!)

2003.PNG
to
2020.PNG

Something worth noting: My mom was extremely pissed with us doing so much research. Whenever she saw us talking about this, she would make fun of us saying "Just get Honda City and be done with it" which is why you will notice how little she was involved in our never ending WHICH CAR discussion until the last moment when she decided on exactly which variant to buy- More on that later[;)])

Fast forward 1 week, it was time for the movers truck to depart Nagpur off to Ghaziabad. The mover asked whether dad wanted to take the car along (he mentioned he had a spare spot in his container). A week later, dad surprised me with a pic of City in front of our Ghaziabad house and he decided to keep the car for a little longer.

How the decision was made? (Read- How i was able to 'finally' convince my dad?):
Jan 2020- Was talking to my dad about the new BS6 model launches and the topic of the all new gen Honda city came up. After reviewing a couple of videos/reviews from Thai websites/channels, dad mentioned the things that he didn't like about the car. Now this was an opportunity for me to convince him to get the BS4 left over model which may also be available with great discounts. Additionally, i was trying to scare him with the fact that, the current gen City (even the BS6) may not be available for long since the new model is nearing the launch.

With Dad finally convinced to get a new car, we jotted down a wish-list of Must haves:

Must Have:
  1. Apple Car play support
  2. Safety Features (Airbags, ABS, etc)
  3. Rear Parking Camera
  4. Rear seat comfort (since the car would be mostly driver driven on highways)
  5. Good City driving manner (since dad prefers driving within City limits)
  6. Rear AC Vents
  7. Good after sales/service support
  8. Petrol Engine (Given the car would rest in garage for about 4-5 months when my parents visit me, Petrol engine made more sense)

Nice to have:
  1. Led Headlamps/Tail-lamps
  2. Larger wheels (This was one of the key factor for nailing down the Variant)

The following (Petrol) cars were shortlisted:

Skoda Rapid Style
  • + ves: Exterior styling, Build Quality
  • -ves: Not a very reassuring Service support (even getting an appointment for the TD was a little painful), Pricey top end version

Maruti Suzuki Ciaz Alpha
  • +ves: Refreshed styling looked a little better than City, Feature loaded, Cheapest of all the contenders
  • -ves: Interior quality didn't justify the price of the car, Petrol engine seemed tad bit lazy

Honda City V/VX/ZX
  • +ves: We have had 2 generation of Honda City (personal & office car) with little to no niggles building our trust in the brand "City", additional touches in the BS6 variant with apple car play sweetened the deal
  • -ves: Pricey (but after a detailed comparo, it seems like the variants of City offer quite a good value over the competition. V IMO is the most Value for Money variant)

Toyota Yaris: was initially considered but rejected due to its pricing and not so appealing exterior/interior styling

How it came down to City V : While we liked the City, the ridiculously high price was a big turn off. We were more inclined toward Ciaz, however, on comparing the equipment list, we realized that Honda City V met all our requirement (me and dad agreed that Sunroof wasn't really a must have feature given it would be seldom used) and its OTR was closed to Ciaz and lower than the Rapid Style.

Why didn't we wait for the New gen City?:
  • While I liked the upgrades of the new gen Thai City, my dad didn't like the overall design. Given it is going to be used primarily by him, i left the choice to him (I was happy that at least he agreed to replace our age old horse)
  • Both of us look at cars as a depreciating asset and spending 1-2 lacs more for a newer gen car (with similar features) didn't seem like a good idea

Initial Dealership Experience (Axon Honda) and Upgrade decision (From V to VX): After making an appointment over the phone, my parents visited Axon Honda (early Feb 2020). They checked out Honda City V/VX. While me and my dad agreed that V offered a great value for money, my Mom loved the VX variant overall (she loved the Diamond cut alloys and the Sunroof). I cannot recall the # of times my mom mentioned how much she loved those "Diamond cut" alloys. With mom really getting into the car buying discussion for the first time, we decided to go for the VX variant.

Test Drive: Given it was late evening, my dad asked the SA if he could come in next day to do a TD. SA happily obliged and rather suggested that he bring the car home for the TD. He happily agreed and went back home.
The next day, the SA came in with the car. He explained the feature (the car he brought was a 2018 VX which was then the top model).

Booking Experience: The SA came home to discuss the final deal. I was on call for an hour (while on my way to office) to be a part of this fun conversation (Love dad's negotiation skills, lot to learn from him). After an hour, he booked the car in Pearl White Color and paid an initial booking amount of INR 51k with the OTR finalized at INR 12.14 Lacs. The following accessories are being offered by the dealer (included in the OTR)
  • Genuine Honda Seat Covers
  • Bucket Floor Mats (Black)
  • Car Cover
Given my parents were going to a wedding soon, they were not too fussed about the delivery date. He however did mention that before finalizing the car, a PDI would be done by him and that we would need the VIN beforehand. SA agreed and mentioned he would check the car in the inventory and confirm the delivery date a day later. The next morning, SA informed them that they have placed an order with Honda. Based on this, my parents asked the car to be delivered on 28th Feb when they are back in town.

While I wont be able see the car in flesh till later this year, i already have butterflies in my belly and waiting eagerly for the D-Day.

Pics to follow soon- Stay Tuned

Last edited:
Hearty Congraulation on your BS VI City, which is the wisest choice you've made. Being a 7-8 month to-be-used car in a given year, petrol engine, yes, makes a lot of sense. Moreover, nothing that I have to appreciate the Honda's Engine-Transmission combo, which has worked out really well for Honda. City has been an evergreen car for Honda for decades together.

I am sure you would have sweet miles and cherishable moments with your new Honda City.

Drive safe. Please keep updating about the mileage (FE) figures (Ex cuse me, as I am an Indian, and the kitna deta hai criteria means a lot for a middle class me [clap]
However, my observation on the very important parameter on deciding a car is build quality (yes, you read it right, build, which is more significant for me than kitna deta hai factor).
1. The first generation City obviously would have been a strong built one, no doubt.
2. The dolphin 2nd generation you have, is a killer in its solid build quality.
3. The 3rd generation (the loveliest model to my eyes @ least), has the best combination of looks, build, and rattle free experience.
4. Honda started screwing on the build right from 2014+ 4th generation, where rattling (though very minute) starts from a very early 30k+. I happened to check this even with a 2017 facelifted 4th generation car (ZX - top end CVT), as checked with its owner (He's my superboss).
5. You'd definitely, at some point of time, feel the difference in the build quality of your current IV gen over your pre owned 2nd generation Dolphin.

Otherwise, the car you've chosen is the right and the best one for your needs. None else than Honda can give you the best refined engine + transmission combo, be it the 5 speed manual (petrol) or the CVT with 7 preset / pre selected gear ratios (petrol).

Wishing your Dad a happy and safe ride on the new beast. God bless everyone.

Thanks and Regards
Kumar

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Kumar. Our current Dolphin City still manages to return a decent 14-15 kmpl consistently.

My sister drives a 2016 City VX and touch-wood, they haven't had rattling issues yet. However, the fit and finish definitely feels a little superior on the older model (or maybe i am biased towards the older model). Hope it stays rattle free for a few couple of years (at-least)..

Will keep this thread updated.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
@Akash Firstly congrats bro. Secondly, you are now quite close to my place i.e Ghaziabad as I am based in Noida. Do let me know when you are visiting India / your family so shall plan and meet. Coming to the car, like you, I also owned an CITY Ivtec and indeed it was real tough call to find a equally capable car to replace it. However, we went for Diesel Nexon. Honestly, to this day, I utterly miss my CITY and so does my family specially my mom as it was her car. My mom too has obsessive liking towards the CITY and she still finds it really beautiful and graceful. I try to tell her that now it has become much more expensive yet her words "it might be expensive for a reason. People buying it aren't fools. It is not like you have all knowledge" Hearing this I often doubt myself whether replacing / selling my CITY was a wise decision or not!

Regards
Akash

Thanks Kumar. Our current Dolphin City still manages to return a decent 14-15 kmpl consistently.

My sister drives a 2016 City VX and touch-wood, they haven't had rattling issues yet. However, the fit and finish definitely feels a little superior on the older model (or maybe i am biased towards the older model). Hope it stays rattle free for a few couple of years (at-least)..

Will keep this thread updated.
Nice to know. 2016 happens to be the 4th gen vehicle, but pre-facelift (facelift happened in 2017). It's good that the car doesn't rattle till now. Should be because of the extraordinary maintenance by your sis.

@Akash Firstly congrats bro. Secondly, you are now quite close to my place i.e Ghaziabad as I am based in Noida. Do let me know when you are visiting India / your family so shall plan and meet. Coming to the car, like you, I also owned an CITY Ivtec and indeed it was real tough call to find a equally capable car to replace it. However, we went for Diesel Nexon. Honestly, to this day, I utterly miss my CITY and so does my family specially my mom as it was her car. My mom too has obsessive liking towards the CITY and she still finds it really beautiful and graceful. I try to tell her that now it has become much more expensive yet her words "it might be expensive for a reason. People buying it aren't fools. It is not like you have all knowledge" Hearing this I often doubt myself whether replacing / selling my CITY was a wise decision or not!

Regards
Akash
[clap]. I second your mom. Honda City is Honda City. There's no league to compare.

There may be good number of competitions in the market such as VW Vento, Rapid, even MS Ciaz, however the ultimate petrol engine with the best mated gearbox can be found only in City, even till this current generation. Fingers crossed on the upcoming fifth gen 2020 model...[cry]

350Z

Core Team
Hi @Akash. Welcome back! You’ve aptly titled this thread. Congrats on getting the City. Look forward to see snaps once the car is delivered. Meanwhile do share with us about your Mazda that you’re driving in US nowadays.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7

Regards
Akash
Thanks buddy. I think reliability and Service experience throughout these years is what made us decide on City. I remember back in Dec when me and dad had zero'ed down on Ciaz (lower price and decently equipped)!

Nice to know. 2016 happens to be the 4th gen vehicle, but pre-facelift (facelift happened in 2017). It's good that the car doesn't rattle till now. Should be because of the extraordinary maintenance by your sis.
Touchwood, dont want to Jinx it!

Hi @Akash. Welcome back! You’ve aptly titled this thread. Congrats on getting the City. Look forward to see snaps once the car is delivered. Meanwhile do share with us about your Mazda that you’re driving in US nowadays.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hey Vibhor. Thanks much. I know, the Mazda6 is review is long due. As a matter of fact, i had completely forgotten about my experience with a rental 6 back in 2015. I cant believe i didn't look at that review when i was in market doing research on the 6 last year!

Thread Starter #8
As promised, below are the pictures of our new City :superexcited:

Axon Honda delivered the car to our place at around 4pm (as planned). Since parents had just come back from the long road trip, they will be taking the car to the local temple tomorrow which is when i am hoping, dad will click some more pictures in daylight.

For the accessories, i have ordered basic car cleaning kit (Jopasu duster kit, Interior cleaner) and a perfume (turns out, my mom isn't fond of new car smell!)

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
No updates/pics yet. Thanks to the rain gods, its been pouring in the area which is an excuse for not taking the car out for a little photoshoot! Dad did try out the apple carplay which he loves. I could also notice the excitement when he was explaining how to use voice commands..

Akashji congrats
Why you didn't look into Verna ?
Thanks @VISHNUCARCRAZY . Since the car was going to have a petrol mill, we had to take Verna off the list. According to my dad the car felt slower than the City (sshhh.. he is a City fanboy[lol]).

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Since the car was going to have a petrol mill, we had to take Verna off the list. According to my dad the car felt slower than the City (sshhh.. he is a City fanboy[lol]).
Indeed, even my mom is one of the many fans of the Honda CITY. As you know we had the 2011 Ivtec, she ever since had set the CITY as a benchmark. She taunts me often and questions my knowledge and the decision of selling the CITY. Our old-timers (read- parents) have very strong likes, dislikes isn't it[:)]

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #12
Thanks Akash

No major updates- Car has only done ~100kms, thanks to the Corona virus spread, have asked my parents to stay home as much as possible.

Some pics taken in the basement garage:
6e04806b-520c-467a-ac93-e42ceefe467e.jpg

6245e48b-264c-4c45-8a80-ee10f704bdb9.jpg

Thread Starter #13
December 2021: After almost 3 years i finally managed to make a visit to India. No prizes for guessing- i went straight to our basement garage first thing in the morning to check out the car in flesh. To my surprise, the car still had a lot of protective plastic.

First impressions: While the car drives great, i definitely felt that the overall quality of the car has degraded over the past few year. For instance, the locks (levers) closed way too softly compared to the loud (read plasticky) locks on this generation. The engine noise too felt a little louder than our old gen City. However, on the upside, the car still feels great to drive and has enough punch for City driving!

Coming back to the Fuel efficiency, it shows up as 12KMPL but this could be my heavy foot doing the trick :lol:. Given our car was delivered right around the time when the pandemic hit, it hasnt done many kms either. That brings me to a fun quiz question for our members.

Question for members: How many Kms do you think the car has done so far (Car was delivered in Late Jan 2020).

Here are some recent pics. I will share the odo details shortly, but they are sure to surprise you!!

image3.jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

image2.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
That brings me to a fun quiz question for our members. How many Kms do you think the car has done so far (Car was delivered in Late Jan 2020).
Welcome back, Akash. Your car is looking as good as new. I’d guess it has done somewhere around thousand kilometers.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #15
Welcome back, Akash. Your car is looking as good as new. I’d guess it has done somewhere around thousand kilometers.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks Vibhor. Apart from a very small paint chip on the front bumper, the car is clean!

As for the ODO reading, you are pretty close. The car had done ~1.2k kms till Dec 2021. I have managed to get it to ~3k kms (about 1800kms in last month itself). Hopefully would be putting another 500km in the next week that i am still here.

Top Bottom