What Are the Advantages of Alloy Wheels?

here is some Ups & downs of alloys :-

1. you need to get 5 of them if you worry about stepny.
2. removing tyre will damage alloy's wall if done manually.
3. washing will be a lot easier then steel rims.
4. I have got some cases of broken alloy on highways or on big pot holes.
5. Steel rim covers are cheap and we can have 3 or 4 designs to have fun ![;)]

After upgrading to alloys from the stock steel rims here are the advantages and disadvantages i noticed :

Advantages :
Lighter steering for better control.
Changed the overall look of the car.
Much easier to wash and maintain.

Disadvantages :
Slight fall in FE since i have upsized my alloys and tyres.

More advantages than disadvantages according to me. I am very happy with the performance though the FE has dropped a little may be by a couple of kilometers. [:D]

After upgrading to alloys from the stock steel rims here are the advantages and disadvantages i noticed :

Advantages :
Lighter steering for better control.
Changed the overall look of the car.
Much easier to wash and maintain.

Disadvantages :
Slight fall in FE since i have upsized my alloys and tyres.

More advantages than disadvantages according to me. I am very happy with the performance though the FE has dropped a little may be by a couple of kilometers. [:D]

FE should not be reduced.
may be your ODO is measuring wrong distance due to up sizing. your tyre's circumference is increased due to upsizing so it will measure low KMs then actual.
you may cross check it via GPS .

Check the weight of the alloy. If it is as heavy or hevier than the steel wheel, the only advantage is looks.
Incorrect!

Table of Wheel Weights

If you go for alloys make sure you get reputed ones
Cheap rubbish will end up having bad effects.

I still remember having Sparco DS2 on my chaser , they were lighter then the normal steel wheels. They look good plus they were wide .
I was running 235 R18 40 in front and 245 R18 40 at the back since it was rear wheel drive for better grip and less loss of power (torque)

My current ride is having staggered setup too with 225 R18 40 in front and235 R18 40 on the rears. There is no way you can have Stable staggered arrangement on steel wheels.

So it depends on the purpose , if you want alloy wheel ask yourself whats the need ?

Once i went to check MGA Alloys and to my surprise i found them as heavy as my 14" steel rims with tyre and air. (i checked the weight of the wheel when the service centre removed them for tyre rotation)
so if upgrading look for a lighter, reputed brand with a common or lasting design (in case you broke one and needs a replacement).

Top Bottom