What Are the Advantages of Alloy Wheels?

Thread Starter #1
Hai folks
we petrolheads are always in love and craze with alloy wheels.
so i just want to ask a question[roll]
what are the advantages[confused]?

rajvel said:
i uncle who installed alloys in wagonR
felt some difference in it.
So i want to create a thread on this.
due to light weight, it will increse FE ( but very slight, ) and handling will be better in alloys

Unlike steel rims, alloys don't rust and maintain their shape better. However they are prone to breaking if hit with force where as steel rims will be deformed.
Lighter than steel rims hence slightly higher FE. However another positive is that they dont heat up as steel rims do on braking and dissipate heat better while you are driving. This results in better braking performance.
The above is obvious in high performance cars however in India where you generally may be driving max at 100 km/hr, alloys are mostly for show :-)

Thread Starter #6
due to light weight, it will increse FE ( but very slight, ) and handling will be better in alloys
thank you for the reply.Awaiting for more reply

Unlike steel rims, alloys don't rust and maintain their shape better. However they are prone to breaking if hit with force where as steel rims will be deformed.
Lighter than steel rims hence slightly higher FE. However another positive is that they dont heat up as steel rims do on braking and dissipate heat better while you are driving. This results in better braking performance.
The above is obvious in high performance cars however in India where you generally may be driving max at 100 km/hr, alloys are mostly for show :-)
fuel effiency if any one got a change plese share the details
braking difference hearing for the first time pls share some detail on it.

Thread Starter #8
got it from above link[;)]
credit goes to chayan[clap]
Most new luxury and sport cars come equipped with alloy wheels. Most consumers however, are unaware of the benefits they offer, aside from aesthetic appeal.

Steel wheels have been common for more than half a century. They are far more practical than the high-maintenance spoke wheels they replaced. Added hubcaps gave way to full wheel-covers, in an attempt to refine their appearance.

Practicality however, soon took a backseat to the pursuit of better performance. Racers identified a need for lighter weight and stiffer wheels, and mag wheels were born. These expensive race wheels were the forerunners for our modern day alloys.

No longer made of magnesium, most are made of an alloy of aluminum and other metals. The resulting hybrid is lighter than steel, stiffer than steel, and dissipates heat better than steel.

Lighter wheels require less effort to get them rolling, improving straight-line performance. Alloy wheels flex much less, promoting better handling through the curves. Another advantage is as obvious as the nose on your face…

Aside from the design of the spokes, most people quickly notice the brake mechanism peeking through. That’s a good thing! Visible brakes are cooler brakes. Cool brakes perform better and last longer.

When offered as a factory upgrade for a particular vehicle, the alloy wheels are usually larger in diameter than the steel counterparts. The manufacturer pairs the larger wheel with a tire that maintains the standard outside diameter. In other words, the new tire is just as tall, but has a smaller sidewall to accommodate the larger wheel.

Since sidewall flex is reduced by these low profile tires, the resulting tire/wheel combination increases performance considerably. Another reason to maintain this outside diameter is to ensure speedometer/odometer calibration. Larger tires rotate less over the same distance traveled on smaller tires—registering a slower speed as well as shorter distance traveled.

Unfortunately, smaller tire sidewalls reduce cushioning when hitting a curb or driving over a pot-hole. Ride quality suffers, and your precious alloys could possibly crack or break under such conditions. Manufacturers don’t usually fit their vehicles with dangerous combinations, but care should be taken when choosing wheels and tires from after-market sources.

Another consideration should be backspace, or off-set. This can be described as the geometry of the wheel on a horizontal plane. In other words, how wide the wheels sit in the wheel wells. Straying from stock dimensions can add stress to suspension components and lead to eventual damage. This damage is not covered under manufacturers’ warranties. Unfortunately, most consumers want the widest wheel that will fit within the wells, ignoring the potential risk to their suspensions.

Never the less, upgrading to alloy wheels can be the easiest way to increase your vehicle’s performance and appearance. If your vehicle doesn’t have them, consult an experienced professional about your options.

My experience, better braking efficiency and much cooler brakes during downhill.. which i experienced with the same car with rims and alloys

I could feel the difference in braking which was quite evident during my recent drive down the hill[:D]

Raj, I hope we are not talking about race car here but our common general purpose car.
in race a better aerodynamics and better suspension will yield more benefit than just an alloy wheel.

In day to day life of a common citizens. alloy is mere showoff, where he wont cross insane speed of 150 and above when friction heat becomes a serious issue to be dealt with.
Considering the wieght and fe the difference is very negligible for a 15 alloy to 15 inch steel of same dimensions.
in race cars not only diameter but width of the tire too goes to extreme levels when weight of a steel rim becomes a trouble due to additional thickness. So they have no other choice but lighter stiffer and more exotic materials lik alloy. Nowadays carbon fibre is also being tested .

Thread Starter #11
Raj, I hope we are not talking about race car here but our common general purpose car.
in race a better aerodynamics and better suspension will yield more benefit than just an alloy wheel.

In day to day life of a common citizens. alloy is mere showoff, where he wont cross insane speed of 150 and above when friction heat becomes a serious issue to be dealt with.
Considering the wieght and fe the difference is very negligible for a 15 alloy to 15 inch steel of same dimensions.
in race cars not only diameter but width of the tire too goes to extreme levels when weight of a steel rim becomes a trouble due to additional thickness. So they have no other choice but lighter stiffer and more exotic materials lik alloy. Nowadays carbon fibre is also being tested .
just that link was shared by Mr chayan and so myself shared[cry]

Thanks for the Information Guys.. It is really helpful I was planning to get my I10 wider tyres with alloys. Now I exactly know what are the pros and cons of it [clap]

Top Bottom